• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Cayman- how much time will I need?

Minnie368

DIS Veteran
For our Western Caribbean cruise we are planning:
Jamaica- tranopy tour
Cozumel- Chankanaab with dolphins
Castaway cay- enjoy the island and go with the flow
Those three days we will spend most of the time off the ship.
Grand Cayman?- are maybe looking to do some type of snorkeling excursion. I’ve read that the beach is just too beautiful not to see it. It looks like thing are pretty close to port. Is it reasonable to think we could eat a big breakfast, go to a beach or do a short snorkeling excursion, and be able to get back to eat lunch on the ship? We’re not opposed to booking outside of DCL if it means a more efficient, smoother excursion with less waiting around. I’m so torn because it’s our first cruise and I really want a good bit of time on the ship, but it’s also hard to skip a port when they’re all new places to us that we’ve never been. I kind of wish we had only 3 ports and an extra sea day.

What time do the tenders begin?

I seem to recall ours began at 8:30. We made sure we were one of the first off the shop. We met our private guide on the dock and were driven to his boat where he took us for what was suppose to be a four hour tour of Stingray City, snorkeling at Coral Garden and to Starfish Beach. We ended up asking to go back after three hours, so we were in fact back on the ship in time to eat lunch.

I have read many times that people got off the ship, walked a short ways and snorkeled right there near the ship off of the shore!

So, yes, you could do a short snorkeling activity. Good luck!

I definitely love sea days but can't resist going into port when it's right there in front of me! I think you'd have plenty of time to get an excursion in!

What time do the tenders begin?

I seem to recall ours began at 8:30. We made sure we were one of the first off the shop. We met our private guide on the dock and were driven to his boat where he took us for what was suppose to be a four hour tour of Stingray City, snorkeling at Coral Garden and to Starfish Beach. We ended up asking to go back after three hours, so we were in fact back on the ship in time to eat lunch.

I have read many times that people got off the ship, walked a short ways and snorkeled right there near the ship off of the shore!

So, yes, you could do a short snorkeling activity. Good luck!

All ashore for us is 10:30. I was thinking of trying to just snorkel off the beach without doing an official excursion but I know it probably won’t be nearly as good.

Any thoughts on how long will it take from the time we get off the boat until we grab a taxi and get off somewhere along seven mile beach?

When you get in to port if you head to the left there is a water sports place about a 5 minute walk that does snorkeling there or can take you by boat to pne of the shipwrecks. We really like snorkeling above the shipwrecks(i can't remember the name of the last one we did) but it was pretty inexpensive and you only need maybe 2.5 hours total.

There are a couple other places nearby too but we have gone with the place the last few times, and we have also done the duck boat tour there once.

We also really like the Margaritaville there so we usually eat lunch there or at least graba. Quick drink.

When you get in to port if you head to the left there is a water sports place about a 5 minute walk that does snorkeling there or can take you by boat to pne of the shipwrecks. We really like snorkeling above the shipwrecks(i can't remember the name of the last one we did) but it was pretty inexpensive and you only need maybe 2.5 hours total.

There are a couple other places nearby too but we have gone with the place the last few times, and we have also done the duck boat tour there once.

We also really like the Margaritaville there so we usually eat lunch there or at least graba. Quick drink.

Could the place you’re referring to be Eden Rock? I’ve been reading about it. Seems like it’s geared a lot toward divers but I see they do snorkeling too. Maybe I’ll look into that a little more. Thanks!

Could the place you’re referring to be Eden Rock? I’ve been reading about it. Seems like it’s geared a lot toward divers but I see they do snorkeling too. Maybe I’ll look into that a little more. Thanks!

Eden Rock is to the right and is great snorkeling from the shore - we've done it several times now. The shipwreck is to the left and is closer from what I understand, but we haven't yet had the chance to do this.

Not eden rock, thats the other way near hard rock hotel area o believe, never used them so can't say one way or the other on them.

The place we used I looked on google maps and cant find it. Maybe its gone now? I haven't been for over a year. But if you look on google maps by Casanovas or Rackams, it was adjacemt to one of those. Hard to see on phone.

We are wanting to go to the turtle farm and then 7 mile beach. I see no excursions for this. Are we best off to just grab a cab to these spots?

We are wanting to go to the turtle farm and then 7 mile beach. I see no excursions for this. Are we best off to just grab a cab to these spots?

Yes, just grab a cab. We found out upon arrival on the dock that our excursion (Stingray City through DCL) was cancelled, so we got a cab to 7 mile beach and had a great day. The beach is gorgeous.

I would say from the time you get to the theater to wait for the tender, 10-20 min, then 20 min on the tender. They fill the "cabs" which are like 20 passenger vans full so you may have to wait like ten minutes until it's full. About a ten minute ride to the beach. Same in reverse for your return to the ship, minus waiting in the theater. Hope that helps.

Be careful, due to higher traffic of cruise ships (because of the issues on the Eastern side) tenders have been taking longer.
I went on the Oct 28 sailing and Nov 25.
Both times ashore time was 10.30. I always wait til the first rush hour is over. If you have a non-disney excursion, you do not get priority and go oand pick up a tender ticket at the theatre.
The Oct 28 sailing I got to the theatre at 11.30am and was ashore at 1pm!!! the entire theatre was filled, people were missing their privately booked excursions, it was a mess.
Last week it took me about 40min between arriving in the theatre and being ashore. I arrived around the same time in the theatre.
I was talking to the crew and they said it had been like that since the hurricanes since there are more ships in ports than usual.

Be careful, due to higher traffic of cruise ships (because of the issues on the Eastern side) tenders have been taking longer.
I went on the Oct 28 sailing and Nov 25.
Both times ashore time was 10.30. I always wait til the first rush hour is over. If you have a non-disney excursion, you do not get priority and go oand pick up a tender ticket at the theatre.
The Oct 28 sailing I got to the theatre at 11.30am and was ashore at 1pm!!! the entire theatre was filled, people were missing their privately booked excursions, it was a mess.
Last week it took me about 40min between arriving in the theatre and being ashore. I arrived around the same time in the theatre.
I was talking to the crew and they said it had been like that since the hurricanes since there are more ships in ports than usual.

I was on the Wonder so much less people... the tender times were typical for us. The traffic on the island didn't seem any different than usual but there were for sure more people at public beach.

We did an excursion outside of DCL for this port and had an amazing day! Grand Cayman is beautiful, clean and friendly. We did jet ski's out to Stingray City and Starfish Pointe. It was so fun! We got back with plenty of time to do some shopping before we got back on the boat. I highly recommend getting off the boat at Grand Cayman.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter