Grand Canyon West/Hualapai Legacy?

keishashadow

Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!
Found this site when i was digging around
http://www.destinationgrandcanyon.com/tours.html

looks very interesting, much closer than main Grand Canyon south rim; thinking less people because of the cost(s) involved?

site says 2-1/2 hours from Vegas

evidently, you can park your car & pay to ride a bus 14 miles on partial dirt roads & then do a "pay as you go" type tour (probably adds up quickly).

even with a SUV rental, don't think the rental car companies would look too kindly on "off roading"?:rolleyes1

anyone ever visit?

I did the west rim about 18 years ago. Much has changed. They did not have the walkway back then. Very peacefull. Very Beautiful. But with the walkway, it seems they want to charge you for everything. I guess that is the cost of progress. Back then all they had was a port-a-pot.

From what I hear it's beautiful there, but, you won't see the main "canyon" part of the Grand Canyon. You really should go to the South Rim for the best experience.

Kimya

yes, the pics on website do seem to just show the very tip of the GC...still; think it's better than nothing until we get a chance to "do it right"?:confused3

still wondering if it's really 2-1/2 hours vs the 4+ to South Rim, i've been burnt by going by what other attractions have used as a time-frame (must base in the dead of night, when there's no traffic;) ).

*would it be safe to assume that once you're past Hoover Dam there is just normal "highway" traffic headed down that way?

yes, the pics on website do seem to just show the very tip of the GC...still; think it's better than nothing until we get a chance to "do it right"?:confused3

still wondering if it's really 2-1/2 hours vs the 4+ to South Rim, i've been burnt by going by what other attractions have used as a time-frame (must base in the dead of night, when there's no traffic;) ).

*would it be safe to assume that once you're past Hoover Dam there is just normal "highway" traffic headed down that way?

Once you are past Hoover Dam, it's literally hours of NOTHING while you are driving. You do go through two or three cities along the way, but just make sure you have a full tank of gas when you set out. There are also many long stretches where there is no cell phone service. There is also no cell phone service once you start getting close to Grand Canyon Nat'l Park and the whole time you are inside.

It's about 2 - 2.5 hours to the West Rim and about 4.5 - 5 hours to the South Rim. I've never been to West Rim...but my co-worker went end of last year and said they wished they'd gone ahead and planned to go ahead and make the longer drive to the South Rim.

Kimya

Once you are past Hoover Dam, it's literally hours of NOTHING while you are driving. You do go through two or three cities along the way, but just make sure you have a full tank of gas when you set out. There are also many long stretches where there is no cell phone service. There is also no cell phone service once you start getting close to Grand Canyon Nat'l Park and the whole time you are inside.

It's about 2 - 2.5 hours to the West Rim and about 4.5 - 5 hours to the South Rim. I've never been to West Rim...but my co-worker went end of last year and said they wished they'd gone ahead and planned to go ahead and make the longer drive to the South Rim.

Kimya

good to know, thank you; scary to think what happens if rental car breaks down & no cell phone coverage:eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter