Grand Californian Super Thread

It is smaller than a twin (bit shorter, not as wide). It fit my large 9 year-old (more like 12-year-old sized) fine, but it would not fit a taller/larger adult (probably not over 5'4).

It fit my 5'7" son just fine last summer. He had several more inches of space. It's a standard twin length mattress at 72" long. This kid sleeps on a twin at home just fine as well.

This may be a silly question, but on a full day cabana rental can you come and go as you please? As in take a swim & relax, hit the parks, head back for another swim? Or do you have to have some sort of 'presence' at the cabana for the whole day?

This may be a silly question, but on a full day cabana rental can you come and go as you please? As in take a swim & relax, hit the parks, head back for another swim? Or do you have to have some sort of 'presence' at the cabana for the whole day?

The seating is reserved for you so you can come and go as you please. That's the benefit of the cabana is not having to stay in the seats to keep them reserved. But I cannot imagine going to the park when you're paying all that money for the cabana.

FYI - I booked a cabana today for my May visit. Current pricing is $399 for the full day and $349 for 1/2 day.
Thanks for the info! Sounds like the best plan is to book for a full day. We're planning A July trip with rope drop and closing down, but taking breaks midday. A cabana sounds like a great way to spend a day! Now to convince the husband (or not tell him how much it is...)

The seating is reserved for you so you can come and go as you please. That's the benefit of the cabana is not having to stay in the seats to keep them reserved. But I cannot imagine going to the park when you're paying all that money for the cabana.

Normally it wouldn't be, we usually only take a swim break once, in the afternoon. It'd be a once in a lifetime splurge in the way we've done a Disney day if we're there during really hot days. We've been known to hit the parks at rope drop or EMH (RIP), head back for a pre early-lunch 'quick dip', head back to the parks for a bit, then back to the pool at the 'heat zenith' for an hour or two to cool down, then dinner and back to the parks for the evening. It'd be nice to have ready-made shade and snacks waiting for us. Not to mention having our early lunch right or dinner delivered right to the cabana.

It's a Pastrami Dog.

FYI, you can check current food offerings anytime by starting to place a mobile order in the app. This will bring up the current options with photos and descriptions. You don't actually have to go through with placing the order. Just back out. I do this all the time to check on new seasonal item availability.
Genius, thank you! I looked at the mobile menu on the app but didn't see it but I didn't think about starting a mobile order!

I find it quite odd how you choose your room based on view and not bed configuration! I haven't seen this at any other hotel. It would be nice to choose one king or two queens and daybed etc without it just being "a request".

My reservation is for a bed type (Woods-Courtyard View - King Bed and Day Bed) but I had to talk to customer service to get it. I do think it's really weird that you can't book by bed type yourself. But if you are needing a specific bed type, I would call.

I do think it's really weird that you can't book by bed type yourself

That is because they hold back King rooms for the the convention and events clients which are most desirable in the business travel sector. Convention and Business events are major source of revenue for the hotel. If no room blocks are booked for events only then they will release the available King rooms to the leisure travelers.

My reservation is for a bed type (Woods-Courtyard View - King Bed and Day Bed) but I had to talk to customer service to get it. I do think it's really weird that you can't book by bed type yourself. But if you are needing a specific bed type, I would call.

Same. I called to book the military rate for July and I was quoted specific bed types for each available view. I specified that the day bed was a must and he then only gave me quotes for those specific room types.

Does the three bedroom suite (not villa), just have a small fridge in each room or does it have more kitchen stuff?
Smaller fridge/beverage cooler style. You can see tours of the 1 and 2 bedroom on Youtube, and photos on DL website. They add an adjoining studio to the config.

The signature suites have large kitchen/catering areas. But those are a different animal. :thumbsup2

Quick question: Does the gift shop at DGC have a "mini-mart" section, like resorts with DVC villas to at WDW, or do I have to rely on a shuttle service with a food stop along the way if I want a case of Coke, frozen pizza, eggs, milk, etc.?

Quick question: Does the gift shop at DGC have a "mini-mart" section, like resorts with DVC villas to at WDW, or do I have to rely on a shuttle service with a food stop along the way if I want a case of Coke, frozen pizza, eggs, milk, etc.?

No, not really!

No 'real' food per se, just snacks and drinks (individual, not cases). I think they don't stock 'cookable' things in the gift shop because there are no micros/cooking facilities in the 'regular' rooms. I guess they expect DVC guests to order groceries.

No 'real' food per se, just snacks and drinks (individual, not cases). I think they don't stock 'cookable' things in the gift shop because there are no micros/cooking facilities in the 'regular' rooms. I guess they expect DVC guests to order groceries.

I'm pretty sure the refrigerator stocks basic frozen foods and more "grocery" type items.

They definitely don't sell cases of soda or anything like that.

All those items were stocked at Whitewater Snacks (now Craftsman Grill) when when VGC first opened, but only a few essentials are still available. It is easy to have groceries delivered to GCH, I have used Pavilions delivery.

So glad I found this thread! I’m splurging on GC club level (never stayed at the GC) in May and have some questions.

Did I read on here that we can check in on a different floor?

Do you know when we can access the veranda on our check in day? I think our plan will be to check in around 1-2pm if I can get late check out at our other hotel.

When we use the GC entrance to DCA how early can we enter DCA? I know the regular gates let people in a 1/2 hour early and get held at Buena Vista street.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter