• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Californian Super Thread

I have booked a double queen room from December 6-12. What should I request as far as room location? I hear horror stories about the hotel being so huge and it being a long walk to get to the area that goes out to DCA or DD. Is there an area that is closer to the parks that I should request? Thank you!

What view category did you book?

I have booked a double queen room from December 6-12. What should I request as far as room location?
...standard view.
The view categories are not exact, but Standard View are essentially rooms that do not match any of the upgraded view types (perhaps this is obvious). The majority of Standard View rooms are at the front of the hotel, with some spread throughout the hotel. The upgrade to Courtyard/Woods/Garden View will avoid the front of the hotel, for a small increase in cost.

Request to be near the elevators adjacent to Napa Rose. This gives convenient access to the DCA entrance.

Unfortunately, you will almost certainly NOT receive a DVC villa. Villas are a different category than hotel rooms, and cash reservations must be made on the phone. Due to the small size of VGC there are seldom villas available for cash reservations. A better (and cheaper) approach is to rent DVC points to book at VGC, but you must plan far in advance (generally greater than 7 months) and have firm travel dates (usually there are no cancellations).

There are no categories available for suites, at least not on line. You might want to call the hotel to confirm. Due to the rather small number of suites, you are likely correct that views are only a request.

Thanks for your reply! Through a travel agent, I've booked what is referred to as a "two-bedroom suite" -- like at this link: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/hotels/grand-californian-hotel/rates-rooms/

From the hotel plans, it doesn't look like there are any two-bedrooms besides the DVC villas. The TA seems to think this will be a 2BR villa. Same way that in WDW, I have booked villas with my DVC points, and sometimes paid rack rates for villas -- it's the same set of rooms. Is there any reason to think this would not be the same in DL?

I'm new to DL hotels, so any help is appreciated. I'm also trying to confirm via my TA. Thanks! :)

Thanks for your reply! Through a travel agent, I've booked what is referred to as a "two-bedroom suite" -- like at this link: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/hotels/grand-californian-hotel/rates-rooms/

From the hotel plans, it doesn't look like there are any two-bedrooms besides the DVC villas. The TA seems to think this will be a 2BR villa. Same way that in WDW, I have booked villas with my DVC points, and sometimes paid rack rates for villas -- it's the same set of rooms. Is there any reason to think this would not be the same in DL?

I'm new to DL hotels, so any help is appreciated. I'm also trying to confirm via my TA. Thanks! :)

Answering my own question after a lovely online chat with a CM... :)

Thank you for contacting Disney. Please hold while we route your chat to a Disney Cast Member who will help you with your question.

Our Disney Cast Member Cristina will be chatting with you now.

Cristina: It's a Fantasmic day to book your visit to the Disneyland Resort in California! How can I help you today?

you: Hi! I am trying to figure out if when I booked a two bedroom suite at Grand Californian through a Travel Agent, if this is the same as the DVC 2-bedroom villas? Is it the same block of rooms? Same type?

Cristina: I'd be happy to help you with that!

Cristina: No, it is not. The DVC villas are only for Disney Vacation Club members.

Cristina: Villa and suites are totally different from each other

you: I see... where are the two-bedroom suites located? What views are available? Is there a detailed map of rooms that I could get somewhere?

you: This is different from what I am used to at Disney World where I have used my DVC points to rent villas, but have also paid rack rates and rented the same villas.

Cristina: The 2 bedrooms suite are located through out the Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa. And there is different views

Cristina: If you want a villa, you will need to book through Disney Vacation Club

you: Are the views just by request alone, or can I pay more to guarantee a theme park view, for instance?

Cristina: It is only by request and not always guaranteed. We will be very happy to place that view request for you after you book

you: OK great -- thanks! Is there a detailed map of the hotel that shows where the 2 bedrooms are located?

Cristina: I apologize, no there is not.

you: OK -- thanks for your help!

Cristina: My pleasure!

Cristina: Thank you for contacting Disney, have a Fantasmic Day!

Cristina: If you don’t mind, there is a short survey that appears when you click the END CHAT button.

Cristina: I would appreciate your feedback.

you: Will do!

Might anyone know where on the room map the TWO BEDROOM SUITES (not DVC villas) are located? I understand they are located throughout the hotel/resort, but is there a lovely color-coded version like the DVC room map that I missed? Thanks!! :)

Might anyone know where on the room map the TWO BEDROOM SUITES (not DVC villas) are located? I understand they are located throughout the hotel/resort, but is there a lovely color-coded version like the DVC room map that I missed? Thanks!! :)
I'm wondering if they are a 1-bedroom suite with an adjoining regular room?

Most 2 bedrooms suites are 1 bedroom suites linked with a standard hotel room. There have been posts that dedicated 2 bedroom suites also exist.

This is an unofficial map of 1 bedroom suites:
The majority of 1 bedroom suites are in these locations, but some are in other places.
locations.jpg

I'm wondering if they are a 1-bedroom suite with an adjoining regular room?

Most 2 bedrooms suites are 1 bedroom suites linked with a standard hotel room. There have been posts that dedicated 2 bedroom suites also exist.

This is an unofficial map of 1 bedroom suites:
The majority of 1 bedroom suites are in these locations, but some are in other places.
locations.jpg

Thank you both!! So I guess a 3BR would most likely be a 1br suite with two adjoining rooms?? We were considering this in the event that our party grows even more...! :)

So, I just got back from staying at this hotel over the weekend. Here's my mini-review of staying in a handicapped accessible room.

First off, staying at this place has been on my bucket list. By some minor miracle, I got the weekend off from work, something that hasn't happened to me in years. Also, I have an annual pass with no block out dates. Disneyland, here we come!

First, I tried to book online but the Disney website was crashing so I booked over the phone. Since it was the summer, and I was booking with like 3 days notice, of course alot of rooms were sold out, so I had to take whatever was left, plus I wanted an ADA room so a handicapped family member could visit and shower after using the pool. Over the phone I booked a king bed with a Downtown Disney view, and it was supposed to have a walk in, handicapped shower. Due to some traffic mishaps, we didn't arrive at the hotel until really late, somewhere around midnight on Friday. At check in, the cast member told me the room I booked wasn't available, but they had something else for me that was still ADA compliant. At that point my husband and I were just really tired and wanted to sleep, so we agreed to take the room being offered, and the staff member told us if we weren't happy with it, they would switch us out to something different first thing in the morning. The staff member also said that he doubted if we would switch though, because the room was in a much better location than the Downtown Disney ones.

So off we went to our room. It wasn't a king bed, but two queens, it didn't have a walk in shower, but had handgrips for the tub and toilet, plus a ramp to get a wheelchair out on the small balcony. Then we saw the view from our room. It had a pool and park view! We could see the Tower of Terror, the grizzly bear mountain, and Radiator Springs mountains from our window! When we went to the park the next day, we discovered the room was also super close to the DCA hotel enterance. Yup, we stayed, because the view and location were GREAT. Our entire goal of that trip was to go on the Grizzly River run over and over again, and then go to the pool afterwards, which we did!

Other than that, while the room was reasonably clean, it was in serious need of refurbishment. I've stayed at other offsite rooms in Anaheim that were in much better condition than this room, so in this case you are definately paying for the location. The rooms were well insulated, so I couldn't hear any noise from the pool at all when it was busy, or from drunken people partying at the lounge below us when the balcony sliding glass door was closed. And as for "ADA compliant"--only if you are a very small person in small wheelchair. A large person in a wheelchair probably won't be able to get it out on the balcony, and the ADA bathroom tubs are super slippery, I'd seriously fear for the safety of someone with mobility issues using it (in this case, if you have a larger, handicapped member in your party, INSIST on a roll in shower with a seat). However, it did have an adjustable, detachable shower head which worked great.

So in my opinion, hotel grounds, pools, and restaurants are spectacular, the rooms are lackluster. The ADA rooms are OK for small handicapped children and adults, but will present a challenge to larger adults. Keep this in mind when booking.

While my stay was great, it could have been better. Seriously, refurbish the rooms! This is one of Disney's flagship properties, but the rooms are so run down they don't feel very deluxe.

Last edited:
We got back from our GH stay two weeks ago. It was just as nice as our first stay ten years ago. My only complaint would be that the bathroom is pretty tiny for a one-bedroom suite with four occupants, two of whom were 16-year-old girls! It was my own fault for not realizing this, even after seeing the floor plans. Two separate rooms would've been more convenient for the bathroom situation, but the room was lovely and the girls loved it.

I really have nothing but happy memories of this vacation and the GC in general. Awesome! Can't wait to go back - we definitely won't be waiting another ten years...Disneyland is fantastic, and is kinda blowing WDW away right now...

:sunny:

Does anyone know if/when the rooms at the Grand will get a refurbishment? I'm considering a stay there the end of Feb 2016 for my birthday weekend. It's one of those items on my DLR bucket list and I would hate to be disappointed.

We got back from our GH stay two weeks ago. It was just as nice as our first stay ten years ago. My only complaint would be that the bathroom is pretty tiny for a one-bedroom suite with four occupants, two of whom were 16-year-old girls! It was my own fault for not realizing this, even after seeing the floor plans. Two separate rooms would've been more convenient for the bathroom situation, but the room was lovely and the girls loved it.

I really have nothing but happy memories of this vacation and the GC in general. Awesome! Can't wait to go back - we definitely won't be waiting another ten years...Disneyland is fantastic, and is kinda blowing WDW away right now...
SOUNDS GREAT!:flower1:
Thinking of going at the end of May '16, but a "little concerned" about crowds and "grad nights"????:confused: What have you heard about Grad nights and crowds?:scared1:
Only have been to DL once summer of '09, so it will be 7 years by the time we go....SO MUCH has changed, EXCITING! :Pinkbounc
TIA!:goodvibes

:sunny:

...While my stay was great, it could have been better. Seriously, refurbish the rooms! This is one of Disney's flagship properties, but the rooms are so run down they don't feel very deluxe.
Does anyone know if/when the rooms at the Grand will get a refurbishment? I'm considering a stay there the end of Feb 2016 for my birthday weekend. It's one of those items on my DLR bucket list and I would hate to be disappointed.
I have just returned from a visit to GCH (actually VGC), and took the Art of the Craft tour of GCH (previously took this tour about 5 years ago). The tour guide (who was very well informed) confirmed there will be a refurbishment.

The refurbishment is scheduled to begin February/March 2016 and last 2 years.

I have just returned from a visit to GCH (actually VGC), and took the Art of the Craft tour of GCH (previously took this tour about 5 years ago). The tour guide (who was very well informed) confirmed there will be a refurbishment.

Hmmm, we normally stay at Paradise Pier and LOVE the location. This time we booked GCH. I am so torn, maybe we should just stay Paradise Pier and use the $ saved for other things, especially is the rooms are worn at GCH

HOPE that you had a GREAT TIME!:cheer2: How was the room condition at VGC? :confused:
The refurbishment that you refer to beginning Feb/March '16, what areas will this effect at GCH...pool?:confused3
TIA!:goodvibes

Hmmm, we normally stay at Paradise Pier and LOVE the location. This time we booked GCH. I am so torn, maybe we should just stay Paradise Pier and use the $ saved for other things, especially is the rooms are worn at GCH
We love, love, love GCH! We were there in October and didn't notice anything that was worn or anything. Looked as fabulous to us as it always has. If you love PPH, you will love the location of GCH even more. You are literally right there in the middle of the resort.

Stay there anyways! The location can't be beat, especially over the summer with the proximity of the DCA park water rides and hotel pool to your room. Its the rooms that are showing their age, the rest of the hotel property is well maintained. It was just a bit jarring to see the beautiful hotel, awesome pools, great amenities and great service, and then go to a room that had beat up furniture and peeling wallpaper. If you just sleep and shower in your room and hang out on your balcony, you'll be fine.

Its great to hear this hotel will be getting a refurb! I'll probably go back after this happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter