Grand Californian Super Thread

I have tried on two occasions to find the multi-story overlook at Grand Californian. I am referring to the overlook that faces Paradise Pier. How would you locate this? I once walked to the furtherest south point I could find in the hallways, but did not see it.

Is this open to any guest?

Hello, we will be staying at GCH for Labor Day wknd. :cool1:
I thought I had heard somewhere that if you have booked a Resort Vacation Pkg, the parking fee is waived. Is that true?
And if it's not true, how much is the parking fee?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know about the package, but parking is $15 for self parking and $22 for valet.

I have tried on two occasions to find the multi-story overlook at Grand Californian. I am referring to the overlook that faces Paradise Pier. How would you locate this? I once walked to the furtherest south point I could find in the hallways, but did not see it.

Is this open to any guest?

You will need to be in the DVC wing (also has lots of hotel roooms). You walk outside past the pool and the kid's club, take the elevator to the 6th floor and follow the signs. Your room key will get you in. There are restrooms and a soda machine and music will be piped in for WOC.

Just booked GCH for 4 nights starting Sept 8, Standard room.
Total with AP rate is 1030 + tax & parking (1265 total).
Booked through the 714-635-2300 number.
I requested bunk beds, and a room as high as possible. Reading through the thread, it looks like Standards get minimum courtesy on requests. Hoping the off season dates complete with early park closing and major ride refurbs help us get what we want!
We are celebrating my husband's 40th bday and the agent said maybe he could get a birthday button. I asked if we could get the Mickey autographed photo & balloons as well, but she said those are only available for additional fee through Disney Planners. Thought I had read here that those little touches are available for free? Maybe just for Concierge & higher? If anyone can confirm the bday service is indeed available for us lowly Standards, I'll call back to a different agent.
Does asking for a higher level room help in any way with getting upgraded to a view? Not that it matters much--my 7 yr old saw a pic of a parking lot view and said, "Wow! That's the best looking parking lot I've ever seen!" :)
Concierge rate is showing about $200/night additional -- is that about average for that upgrade? If so, cost vs. benefit doesn't work for us -- don't think we could consume $200 worth of drinks/snacks/breakfast each day!
If by chance the rate goes lower, is it fairly easy to get the price adjusted? Does anyone call reservation line directly to check prices or are the online prices as accurate?
Thank you!

Lucky You Alice! I am trying to swing a trip this fall with a stay at GCH but I do not think my schedule will allow it :sad2:

Anyway, this recent thread about room upgrades was helpful:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2776444

And re: the Mickey pic and balloons - mention DH's birthday when you check in and ask if you can get anything for him? Last time we went (9/09) they gave us the pic and baloons and the button at check in and I had not mentioned it before. Disclaimer: That was at the DLH.

Good Luck

Concierge rate is showing about $200/night additional -- is that about average for that upgrade? If so, cost vs. benefit doesn't work for us -- don't think we could consume $200 worth of drinks/snacks/breakfast each day!
If by chance the rate goes lower, is it fairly easy to get the price adjusted? Does anyone call reservation line directly to check prices or are the online prices as accurate?
Thank you!

We are booked for GCH concierge level for mid Sept. We have that level because my brother booked and paid for the trip for us. I don't think I would have done this on my own. I don't think my mom, myself or my DD (3) would spend that much on food per day but we have it and we will utilize the heck out of the lounge as much as we can.

As far as lowering your room rate if lower rates arrive, it is possible. I was one who luckily received a PIN code from Disneyland. I called Disney and, after about 45 minutes, not only did our room go down almost $800, we were upgraded to a park view room. So yes, if lower rates are found, call.... call... call. It's not going to hurt to call and ask. It did take some time but it was so well worth it. Since my brother had already paid for the reservation they simply applied the credit back to his credit card.

With regards to the birthday surprises, I cannot answer you. I am planning on letting the front desk know upon check-in that it's my daughters 1st trip to DL, that we're celebrating our first trip and birthdays and this will most likely be my mom's last trip to DL. I'll make sure to get the buttons from the parks but I feel it's not going to hurt to ask/tell the front desk about our celebrations either. Any little bit of Pixie Dust offerings will be so celebrated.

Have a great time on your vacation. I cannot wait for ours. Luckily, I have so much to do between now and then that it helps to keep me busy and not dwell on the fact that I'm not in the parks yet. :woohoo:

Just booked GCH for 4 nights starting Sept 8, Standard room.
Total with AP rate is 1030 + tax & parking (1265 total).
Booked through the 714-635-2300 number.
I requested bunk beds, and a room as high as possible. Reading through the thread, it looks like Standards get minimum courtesy on requests. Hoping the off season dates complete with early park closing and major ride refurbs help us get what we want!
We are celebrating my husband's 40th bday and the agent said maybe he could get a birthday button. I asked if we could get the Mickey autographed photo & balloons as well, but she said those are only available for additional fee through Disney Planners. Thought I had read here that those little touches are available for free? Maybe just for Concierge & higher? If anyone can confirm the bday service is indeed available for us lowly Standards, I'll call back to a different agent.
Does asking for a higher level room help in any way with getting upgraded to a view? Not that it matters much--my 7 yr old saw a pic of a parking lot view and said, "Wow! That's the best looking parking lot I've ever seen!" :)
Thank you!

We stayed the last week of July in a DTD view room. I had called ahead and put in comments we would be celebrating DD 2nd birthday. I think the check in agent didn't see the comments though so I mentioned that we were celebrating the birthday. She said to wait a moment and then came back with a button, 2 balloons, and an autographed photo of Minnie Mouse. So definately mention it. Hopefully you'll get a nice CM that will go above and beyond the standard button. I saw lots of balloons being handed out at check in. I think the agent we got was new though as she forgot to give us our Fastpasses and the welcome packet with all of the neat hotel information. We didn't find out about the welcome packet until we went back down to inquire about the Fastpasses.

Lucky You Alice! I am trying to swing a trip this fall with a stay at GCH but I do not think my schedule will allow it :sad2:

Anyway, this recent thread about room upgrades was helpful:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2776444
Thanks--will head over to read it!
And re: the Mickey pic and balloons - mention DH's birthday when you check in and ask if you can get anything for him? Last time we went (9/09) they gave us the pic and baloons and the button at check in and I had not mentioned it before. Disclaimer: That was at the DLH.
Worth a shot! Thanks
Good Luck
Thank you!
We are booked for GCH concierge level for mid Sept. We have that level because my brother booked and paid for the trip for us. I don't think I would have done this on my own. I don't think my mom, myself or my DD (3) would spend that much on food per day but we have it and we will utilize the heck out of the lounge as much as we can.

As far as lowering your room rate if lower rates arrive, it is possible. I was one who luckily received a PIN code from Disneyland. I called Disney and, after about 45 minutes, not only did our room go down almost $800, we were upgraded to a park view room. So yes, if lower rates are found, call.... call... call. It's not going to hurt to call and ask. It did take some time but it was so well worth it. Since my brother had already paid for the reservation they simply applied the credit back to his credit card.
Great! Since my room was just an AP discount I'm hoping a better offer goes up before our trip. (When we stayed at DLH last summer we made out better with the offer than with AP.) Thanks!
With regards to the birthday surprises, I cannot answer you. I am planning on letting the front desk know upon check-in that it's my daughters 1st trip to DL, that we're celebrating our first trip and birthdays and this will most likely be my mom's last trip to DL. I'll make sure to get the buttons from the parks but I feel it's not going to hurt to ask/tell the front desk about our celebrations either. Any little bit of Pixie Dust offerings will be so celebrated.
Prayers that your mom may enjoy many more trips to Disneyland!
Have a great time on your vacation. I cannot wait for ours. Luckily, I have so much to do between now and then that it helps to keep me busy and not dwell on the fact that I'm not in the parks yet. :woohoo:
Thanks -- hope your trip is great as well!
The bunk bed request might help :thumbsup2
I had a standard room upgraded to a pool view with a bunk bed :wizard:

Thanks -- are bunk bed rooms spread throughout the hotel or do they typically come with a view?

We stayed the last week of July in a DTD view room. I had called ahead and put in comments we would be celebrating DD 2nd birthday. I think the check in agent didn't see the comments though so I mentioned that we were celebrating the birthday. She said to wait a moment and then came back with a button, 2 balloons, and an autographed photo of Minnie Mouse. So definately mention it. Hopefully you'll get a nice CM that will go above and beyond the standard button. I saw lots of balloons being handed out at check in. I think the agent we got was new though as she forgot to give us our Fastpasses and the welcome packet with all of the neat hotel information. We didn't find out about the welcome packet until we went back down to inquire about the Fastpasses.
Good idea; thanks! I wish we could go a week earlier -- they stop giving the FPs Sept 5.

We just got back from our first trip to DLR ... I LOVED the GCH!

I paid for a standard room at the GCH and requested bunk beds ... we were put in a room with bunkbeds and a view of the pool complex and Mickey's Fun Wheel. You could have knocked me over with a feather. :love: I'm not sure if this was an upgrade, or if the view was considered standard because the view directly in front of the window was of a tree (had to stand on the balcony and look left to see the pool and DCA). Whatever it was - it was absolutely AWESOME!!! The room was very bright and sunny in the afternoon and the location was incredibly convenient. I sat on the balcony every night at 9:00pm and listened to the WOC music and watched the colors on the Fun Wheel and Screamin'.

I don't know if we will ever make it back to DLR, but I have to say that the GCH is now my favorite Disney resort (I've stayed at 8 different Disney resorts in Orlando - 4 of them "deluxe" ... the GCH tops them all!).

I paid for a standard room at the GCH and requested bunk beds ... we were put in a room with bunkbeds and a view of the pool complex and Mickey's Fun Wheel. You could have knocked me over with a feather. :love: I'm not sure if this was an upgrade, or if the view was considered standard because the view directly in front of the window was of a tree (had to stand on the balcony and look left to see the pool and DCA). Whatever it was - it was absolutely AWESOME!!! The room was very bright and sunny in the afternoon and the location was incredibly convenient. I sat on the balcony every night at 9:00pm and listened to the WOC music and watched the colors on the Fun Wheel and Screamin'.

I don't know if we will ever make it back to DLR, but I have to say that the GCH is now my favorite Disney resort (I've stayed at 8 different Disney resorts in Orlando - 4 of them "deluxe" ... the GCH tops them all!).
:thumbsup2 Disney's real best kept secret

Do you mind my asking what room you had?

We are staying in a standard room and I was wondering if the SuperThread Gods could tell me where the most convenient area is in the hotel. Convenient to exits close to the parks, etc. I hear its a maze and you can get stuck in Siberia, which I'd like to avoid. Thanks!

goldies 5, No, none of the view rooms have the daybeds. I really wanted a nice view but found out there are no view rooms and it was more important to me to have the big room. The daybed rooms are ONLY above the front entrance and the view is looking across to the DLH on the right and PP on the left over the parking lots. You can see pretty far but we didn't even notice the parking lots or Disneyland Drive because there are a lot of trees along the drive area. I was worried that we would hear car doors the whole time especially on the 2nd floor from people checking in and using valet parking but we didn't hear anything except an occasional happy kid running down the hall in the daytime.

The daybed rooms are X101-X107 and X201-X207 where X is the floor number. The 3rd floor is really nice because there is a big landing with a super wide hallway but our room was on the 2nd floor and nice because it was so easy to get to. Post number 827 in this thread shows a pic of the daybed room. You can't tell from the pic but there is a big space on the sliding door side of the daybed and we pushed the bed down to the tv and had room there to put the queen sized airbed.

ORDisneyfans, Have a wonderful time! Remember the DLH is under construction but the neverland pool is open and the tower that they are working on is the far one above the waterfalls that are turned off and boarded up. If you happen to get that tower, ask to be moved. I saw a bunch of people complained and they were moved because of the construction noise. Call ahead and request a renovated room in the Dreams tower. Some of those rooms are considered standard view on the lower floors so you might get lucky. PP is nice and we've enjoyed our stays there as well. Remember to go out the front door and cross the street at the light cutting through GCH for the shortest walk. If you go out the back door by the parking garage and walk along the path to the DLH, it is a much longer walk! Remember too that you can go to early entry every day that you are there as a perk of staying onsight. They don't always tell you that and we think it is one of the best perks.

tinksdreamwishes, I don't have the room numbers for the king bed rooms but they are almost as scarce as the daybed rooms. Before the additional wing, this was the breakdown of room types:
39 Queen/Queens day bed
477 Queen/Queens
75 Kings
154 Bunk Beds
745 Total Rooms

The CM who checked us in told me that they were hoping there would be more daybed and king rooms built in the newer wing but she said they were all 2 Q rooms not including the villas of course. She also said she gets yelled at by guests all day long who were promised a certain type of room and don't get it. They are working on trying to fix the communications issues with reservations promising the certain room types. The only thing they do guarantee is the view type that you reserve, not the bedding configuration although our reservationist said we were 99% sure to get the daybed room. With only 39 of that type, she was wrong!

I was hoping for a daybed with the monorail view....sounds like that is not an option. Does anyone know the bed configuration of the monorail view rooms? Any bunkbeds? Thanks!

Finally figured out how to post pictures and wanted to share some of our room (bunkbed standard view 3340):

CaliforniaAugust2011175-1-1.jpg

Queen Bed - notice the bright sunlight

CaliforniaAugust2011176-1.jpg

Table and Chairs
CaliforniaAugust2011177-2.jpg

The Requested Bunkbeds! :) The wall lights above each bunk are controlled individually.

Continued From Above ... Views From The Balcony of Room 3340.

Looking Straight Ahead ... not much to see.
CaliforniaAugust2011183-1.jpg

But look to the left ... and Wow! This is a standard view???!!!
CaliforniaAugust2011184-1.jpg

A little zoom action.
CaliforniaAugust2011186-1.jpg

I sat in the far right corner of the balcony every night around 9:00pm to enjoy the view.
CaliforniaAugust2011293-1.jpg

And, just for fun, a photo of our general room location I snapped while on Mickey's Fun Wheel. Room was on the third floor, fourth room down from elevators.
CaliforniaAugust2011320-1-1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter