Grand Californian Super Thread

Thanks for the responses. We are not there for the characters just the food. Seems like storytellers is the way to go.

I will keep you updated on the catalina daytrip.

Great White Shark sightings? That would be scary to see yet amazing. Hoping for a blue whale and some dolphins.
On a side note. How often do people get attacked on the coast of SoCal?

Great White Shark sightings? That would be scary to see yet amazing. Hoping for a blue whale and some dolphins.
On a side note. How often do people get attacked on the coast of SoCal?

Dolphins I am almost certain you will see if you sit outside - at least a few of them. I think I have seen them on every trip to Avalon (usually early morning), and it is absolutely magical to see them romping in their natural playground! Sometimes, if the dolphins get a bit closer to the boat than one would expect, the passengers will erupt into applause, as if the dolphins were putting on a show just for them.

The whales may be in migration now, so they could be more towards Mexico or more up north, but there can always be some stragglers left behind. I have not seen a whale yet. I would probably be speechless if I saw one. So I'm crossing my fingers for you!

The recent great white sightings have been spotted closer to the other Channel Islands lately (not so much right near Catalina, which is one of the Channel Islands), but more between Catalina and the next closest Channel Island (I forget which one it is). They have been seen dining on seals or sea lions. It is believed that they are also in some migratory pattern now, too, and are coming in closer, in search of food. Great white sightings off of our coast - especially in the SoCal area - are not too common. Other sharks, yes - lots of those. Great whites are unusual. Not to say they aren't there, but people in SoCal usually don't see them. But there are lots of other sharks around - we saw a shark swimming near the bottom of the ocean when when we did the Semi-Sub in Avalon, and many of them come in to feed on the kelp (or the fish in the kelp) in Avalon. But those kelp-feeding sharks are smaller and less menacing.

There are not too many attacks off the coast of SoCal. I think there have been more shark attacks in NorCal than in SoCal.

I would love to see a shark...as long as it kept its distance!

We prefer Storytellers too. The food is really good. They do made-to-order huevos rancheros and they were terrific!

Does a standard room come with a DVD player or can we hook one up ourselves? I've searched and have come up with conflicting reports.

Now the GCH guests get 1/2 hour start on everyone else for the WOC fastpasses?

Jack

Now the GCH guests get 1/2 hour start on everyone else for the WOC fastpasses?

Jack

Any DLR resort guest is eligible for the 1/2 hour headstart. This definitely includes the DLH and PPH in addition to the GCH. The big question is whether "resort guest" also includes someone who is staying off-property, but ate at Storyteller Cafe that morning. Or Goofy's Kitchen. Or bought a bottle of water at Whitewater Snacks or a tin of mints at the gift shop. I'm not sure where they will (or if they will) draw a line.

Any DLR resort guest is eligible for the 1/2 hour headstart. This definitely includes the DLH and PPH in addition to the GCH. The big question is whether "resort guest" also includes someone who is staying off-property, but ate at Storyteller Cafe that morning. Or Goofy's Kitchen. Or bought a bottle of water at Whitewater Snacks or a tin of mints at the gift shop. I'm not sure where they will (or if they will) draw a line.

I'm pretty sure that they will restrict it to guests who can show a room key. Last time we were there it was about 3:30 in the afternoon and they still asked to see the room key. Good thing I had one. :goodvibes

Last week, we had to show our room keys several times when going in to DCA. There was a long line using the GCH entrance the morning we hit DCA when it opened for FP at 9:30. We went and got Soarin' FPs, then headed over to the TSMM pre-opening line.

Last week, we had to show our room keys several times when going in to DCA. There was a long line using the GCH entrance the morning we hit DCA when it opened for FP at 9:30. We went and got Soarin' FPs, then headed over to the TSMM pre-opening line.

Sorry for my confusion :confused3 just want to make sure I understand your post above. You didn't mention getting FP for WOC when you entered using the GCH entrance at 9:30, just getting FPfor Soarin' and then headed to TSMM. Also what time did you arrive at the GCH entrance and the line was already long. Thanks.:goodvibes

Alright I finally found out some useful information for families or groups of five or more. This is unbelievable.....In the entire hotel only 50 have daybeds and 100 have bunkbeds of 1000 rooms!!!:scared1: We are told that when we are there the hotel is completely booked. So in efforts to not have to have one of my kids sleep on the floor in a sleeping bag what do others recommend? Why don't they tell people this that have a family of five or greater? I read this on tripadvisor and immediately was floored.

My wife thought of the idea of bringing an air mattress. Any other ideas?
Should I sleep in the lobby? :rotfl2:

Alright I finally found out some useful information for families or groups of five or more. This is unbelievable.....In the entire hotel only 50 have daybeds and 100 have bunkbeds of 1000 rooms!!!:scared1: We are told that when we are there the hotel is completely booked. So in efforts to not have to have one of my kids sleep on the floor in a sleeping bag what do others recommend? Why don't they tell people this that have a family of five or greater? I read this on tripadvisor and immediately was floored.

I would do an air mattress, but it is going to be tight/

Jack

I have to say, I think the whole "here's a sleeping bag, enjoy your time on the floor" is pretty cheesy for a hotel of this price. I mean, come on people, I think even the cheapest of motels have cots. Please tell me that they at least give the person with a sleeping bag a floor mat for a little cushioning?

I'm wondering if I should book at the GCH on October 1st? I have looked up the prices for the GCH in Oct. on the AP hotel availability calender and saw there was a Theme View room for $282 a night. I was wondering that this is a good price to get the DCA View room? I been looking at the other types of rooms and the standard view is at $342. :eek: I have stayed at the GCH when it first opened in 2001 and it was great back than and now it is updated with new amenities since 2001. I know all the benefits about staying on-site and my last question is should I do this for the price or just wait until it lowers?

I'm wondering if I should book at the GCH on October 1st? I have looked up the prices for the GCH in Oct. on the AP hotel availability calender and saw there was a Theme View room for $282 a night. I was wondering that this is a good price to get the DCA View room? I been looking at the other types of rooms and the standard view is at $342. :eek: I have stayed at the GCH when it first opened in 2001 and it was great back than and now it is updated with new amenities since 2001. I know all the benefits about staying on-site and my last question is should I do this for the price or just wait until it lowers?

$282 is a great price for a theme park view at the GCH!!!

I wouldn't wait. October 1st is the start of Gay Days weekend and all the hotels will sell out. At least they did last year. They are offering special rates for all the hotels so I would book as soon as possible. The rates will not go down because they know they can sell out completely for this weekend.

I wouldn't wait. October 1st is the start of Gay Days weekend and all the hotels will sell out. At least they did last year. They are offering special rates for all the hotels so I would book as soon as possible. The rates will not go down because they know they can sell out completely for this weekend.

Thx for the pp. I just book my room at the GCH for the standard view instead of the theme park view for $228 a night. The DLR website changed the price from $342 a night for the standard to $228 just one night ago and I was surprised that the DLR changed the price when I was about to book the theme park view room. $282 a night for the theme park viewing area is a good price like what 3TinksAndAnEeyore said and I was about to book it today until I looked at the AP website this morning and lowered its standard room price on the AP website.

I know about Gay day during the first week of October and it will be very busy with the first night of MHP. I was been thinking of not doing the GCH in October because I want to get the hotel when it gets to Aug so my DA and I can stay there during the D23 Expo next year. But for the price for October and comparing the price for August this month ($250-$400) is a lot during the month for August.

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question.... :confused:We'll be staying at the DLH and would like to use the GCH "special" entrance. What I don't know is how do you get to the GCH entrance from the Disneyland Hotel? I assume it's somewhere in Downtown Disney? Thanks to anyone who can give me some guidance!!

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question.... :confused:We'll be staying at the DLH and would like to use the GCH "special" entrance. What I don't know is how do you get to the GCH entrance from the Disneyland Hotel? I assume it's somewhere in Downtown Disney? Thanks to anyone who can give me some guidance!!

If you are staying in one of the three DLR hotels (GCH, DLH or PPH) you can use the GCH entrance to DCA. You just go to the GCH main entrance or go to the entrance right in DTD right next to Studio 365 and you must show your valid DLR hotel room key to be able to enter the GCH entrance to DCA.

Here is the link: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-guests-who-stay-at-disneyland-resort-hotels/

We have some exciting news to share this holiday weekend. Starting tomorrow morning, Sunday, July 4, the Disney California Adventure park gate at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa will open at 9:00 a.m. exclusively for Disneyland Resort Hotel guests so they can get in line for Disney’s FASTPASS tickets to each evening’s performances of “World of Color.” The Disneyland Resort hotels include the Disneyland Hotel, Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel and Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa.‬ The main entrance will open, as scheduled, at 9:30 a.m. for all other day guests.

If you are staying in one of the three DLR hotels (GCH, DLH or PPH) you can use the GCH entrance to DCA. You just go to the GCH main entrance or go to the entrance right in DTD right next to Studio 365 and you must show your valid DLR hotel room key to be able to enter the GCH entrance to DCA.

Thanks so much MVF! :flower3: I'll look for the GCH entrance next to Studio 365.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter