Grand Californian Super Thread

Bump, please give us your feedback after stay at the GCH, it really helps people to plan and have expectations.

Jack

Hi Guys, We have been back for awhile now. :rolleyes1 Glad Jack posted the above to jolt my memory. We had a great time. This was our first stay at GCR. It is a beautiful resort, love the themeing and feel of the resort. Everyone, and I do mean everyone was so friendly and helpful. We booked a standard room at a pin code 40% off rate, I requested a King room and we were blessed with our request being honored. The room was on the 6th floor near the villas. It faced The Disneyland Hotel and a pretty tree/garden area, probably the entry. The room was quite, only heard people one morning EARLY, EARY.... who had children who were running up and down the hall playing :rolleyes:

We ate breakfast at Storytellers two of the mornings we were there. Good food, we ate off the meau, nicely presented. Excellent CM's and chef came out to discuss one food allergy I have. I was impressed! We also got nacho's another day from White Water Snacks - Excellent. Had a late dinner on our last night there too, just burgers, but they were very nicely done. CM's friendly and reasonable prices.

The parks were busy, but very comfortable. I have to admit I was disappointed in the Food and Wine Fest. We have gone to the one at WDW a couple of times. California's is a lot lower key without nearly as many booths. It wasn't bad, just not as extensive as WDW. From what I have read you really have to attend hard ticket events to get the real California F&W experience. Not something we planed far enough ahead to do.

The one thing that surprised me was how small the room was at GCR. It was nice, clean, and I loved the bed and triple sheeting. :cloud9: But, geez my DH had hardly any floor room on his side of the bed. He is 6'4", so yes he does have big feet.....but he couldn't put his foot down vertically from the bed without having his toes on the sliding glass door. :confused3 So he would walk sideways up to the bed. Kinda funny to watch. ;)

I was surprised by the rack rate of $980.00 per night placed on the wall card. I most certainly wouldn't spend that much for just a room, especially as small as this one was. However, we were paying for the convience and staying at California's flagship Disney resort. It was great to go back to the room for a rest or to drop off a purchase before heading to a park. Loved how much we were able to do/see during our trip because we didn't have to drive, park, walk long distances or take some form of transportation.

So would we stay there again? Yes, if we could get a pin code deal like this time, but we may also return to the Disneyland Hotel. They are going to be finished with their refurb. in the near future. The rooms are larger and I would love to see the new rooms in person, the pictures of the head board and magic additions is something I would love to experience.

Thank you for all your help on this trip. We had a great time.

Angel16

Thanks for your report Angel16 :)

I agree, it was always hard for me to justify the regular price to stay at the GCH. This upcoming trip we got the 5 for 3 deal and it ended up being just a bit more than the DLH so we decided to splurge.

Thanks for your report Angel16 :)

I agree, it was always hard for me to justify the regular price to stay at the GCH. This upcoming trip we got the 5 for 3 deal and it ended up being just a bit more than the DLH so we decided to splurge.

Totally agree. This deal was too good to pass up again. We did DLR hotel last year with this deal and thought we better try it before it goes away. Can't wait to get there.

I took advantage of the 5 for 3 deal, too (but through Costco Travel). Btw, does anyone know if the rooms at the GCH are ever full price @ $400-$500+? It seems like a room at $240 is a deal if the rack rates are around $500, but from what I've read no one has ever paid upwards of $400 for a standard room :confused3

I took advantage of the 5 for 3 deal, too (but through Costco Travel). Btw, does anyone know if the rooms at the GCH are ever full price @ $400-$500+? It seems like a room at $240 is a deal if the rack rates are around $500, but from what I've read no one has ever paid upwards of $400 for a standard room :confused3
For every summer I can remember until this summer (and I guess last summer) the GCH rooms sell in the summer for full price at $450-500 a night.

For every summer I can remember until this summer (and I guess last summer) the GCH rooms sell in the summer for full price at $450-500 a night.

Thanks for the info! I guess it just happened that in the posts I read the posters only mentioned getting rooms at the GCH w/promos. In that case it is great that they are offering the 5 for 3 deal this year since we haven't been to DL in years! :)

Thanks so much for all this info!!!!

I never really paid much attention to the GCH information because of the price. We go to Disneyland 2 or 3 times a year but we either stay at the Candy Cane or Disneyland Hotel for those special times. We love going with the grandkids and families so it does get expensive when you need 2 or more rooms.

Well, hubby has a convention and he told me this year they were holding it at Disneyland. Okay, I thought the DL Hotel but when the info came it is the GCH. I am so thrilled. We are also going to take 2 grandkids so I will have someone to play with while he is in meetings.

I have read this whole thread and have a list of things to do with the kids, places to eat, what to expect. Every question has been answered. Thank you so much again!!!!

We went last year in April/May and we did pay 395.00 per night, I believe. It was then that we decided to buy into the VGC. We loved the Grand, loved the rooms and theme of hotel. We decided that it would be hard to ever go back to the Pier or to the Embassey (which was are usual), so we took the plunge and bought into the DVC program so that we wouldn't have to think about paying 395.00, or more in the future, ever again. So far we have loved our decision the only problem is that we already want more points, for a third time.:rolleyes1:scared:

We went last year in April/May and we did pay 395.00 per night, I believe. It was then that we decided to buy into the VGC. We loved the Grand, loved the rooms and theme of hotel. We decided that it would be hard to ever go back to the Pier or to the Embassey (which was are usual), so we took the plunge and bought into the DVC program so that we wouldn't have to think about paying 395.00, or more in the future, ever again. So far we have loved our decision the only problem is that we already want more points, for a third time.:rolleyes1:scared:

Exactly. Buying DVC was the BEST vacation decision we have
made. :thumbsup2

The last trip that I paid for at the Grand I paid $400 a night (including tax and resort fee).. part of what makes DVC so appealing.

our trip in april was our first time at a onsite hotel we usually stay at a hotel close as posabe with small kids.But after staying at the grand we bought into the dvc and have a feb trip booked already:cool1:.The hotel was great everyone was so nice the whole family loved it that we couldn't stay anywere else.

our trip in april was our first time at a onsite hotel we usually stay at a hotel close as posabe with small kids.But after staying at the grand we bought into the dvc and have a feb trip booked already:cool1:.The hotel was great everyone was so nice the whole family loved it that we couldn't stay anywere else.

ADDICTING!

Jack

ADDICTING!

Jack

The GCH is addicting. We stayed two nights in January because the rates were low, relatively. Summer time has rolled around and although we LOVE the Hojo, we decided to split our trip. Two nights at the Hojo and a Saturday night living it up at the Grand. Although moving hotels isn't ideal, we score two magic mornings (Sat. and Sun) and some time in the giant hot tub by the Mariposa pool. :goodvibes

Thanks for compiling all the info in this thread. It's been super helpful!

Two nights at the Hojo and a Saturday night living it up at the Grand. Although moving hotels isn't ideal, we score two magic mornings (Sat. and Sun) and some time in the giant hot tub by the Mariposa pool.

Smart to stay at the HOJO's first :laughing: If I stayed at the GCH first, I don't think I could leave :)

5 night stay May 14-19 3 adults, 2 teens

This was our first time as well and we never would have done it if it wasnt the 5 for 3. Man are we ever glad we did! So glad that my parents bought into the DVC! My mom fell in love with the villas, it was all she could talk about :love:

I felt our room-2203-was just perfect. 2 queens with the day bed. The room was big enough for us, no one felt cramped.

The fridge was tiny and there was a little bit of wallpaper coming off the wall behind the toilet, but everything else was perfect!

Oh I did venture into both of the hot tubs and one had so much chemicals that I actually had to get out because my eyes were hurting so bad-and Im definatly not sensitive. Weird...

This room was close to the lobby and under a 5 min walk to the DCA entrance. I enjoyed twice going on GRR over and over and over again and then going soaking wet back to the room.

The girls did not enjoy their pizzas from White Water snacks though.
Next time we'll definatly try the other resturaunts.

Everyone always had a smile and it was wonderful picking up the phone and hearing welcome home :goodvibes

Such a beautiful hotel. I felt that even though there wasnt Mickey Mouses at every turn, I still felt the magic of the park, just being so close.

I had chosen Hojos as my #1 hotel, but I dont think I can ver stay off site again! Good thing ol' momndad decided to join! Now Ill never have to! :rolleyes1

Im forever converted! Cant wait to check out the villas!

I had chosen Hojos as my #1 hotel, but I dont think I can ver stay off site again! Good thing ol' momndad decided to join! Now Ill never have to! :rolleyes1

Im forever converted! Cant wait to check out the villas!

hummm Sorry I am not following... What do your mom and dad decided to join DVC has to do with you (and your DD) never have to stay off site?? :confused3

I'm guessing they travel together? The trip report said 3 adults, (mom, dad & poster) 2 teens :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter