Grand Californian Super Thread

mmmears said:
They let us in a bit early so that we got to the Carsland rope drop at about the same time as the front people from the main gates. It was just easier and more convenient for us to use the hotel entrance, since it's shady and there were benches to sit on.

We upgraded on checkin. I asked if anything was available (and said that I would pay for it -- can't stand it when people ask for free upgrades). I was told yes and that it was $150 plus tax. Pricey, but it was really convenient.

We really didn't regret it, but someday we may try it out. This was a really short trip for us. Every time we walked back and forth we were happy with our choice. My DD grew up going to the GCH so she actually prefers it anyway. Plus I really like the pool area there. I booked a courtyard/woods view room and I kept that view but was up on the 6th floor with concierge. I believe they said that there were standard views available. Neither was available online when I checked (just park view CL).

Thanks!

Just booked the GCH for three nights to celebrate our Five Year Anniversary! We stayed for one night on our one year anniversary in 2009 and were upgraded to a corner suite overlooking the pool and DCA. We stayed a couple nights again later in 2009, but I was sick. :(

Just got APs again and we are ready for a great year ahead with them! Such great, great memories and we are so excited to return. :goodvibes

Does anyone know where I could find a list of the activities that are offered to hotel guests, like the yoga/pilates class or the early morning walk around DCA?

My husband and I have booked our first visit where we are staying at the Grand Californian Hotel. We booked a premium view and I am wondering what the chances are of getting one with the king bed? It is just the two of us so we wouldn't need 2 queens or the bunk beds.

Are the king rooms located in a certain part of the hotel?

90 days and counting....

Are the king rooms located in a certain part of the hotel?
King beds are spread throughout the hotel and are available for all view types, but it is a rare room type. I always request a king bed, but have usually been unsuccessful.

I would call and have them put a "note" on your reservation. I know that I have arrived more then once and been assigned a King when i requested and needed double queens and had to fight to get out of the King. I would suspect that the doubles are a higher demand.

The fact that they can not guarantee room types...or at least number of beds is absolutely ABSURD and has caused me to stay off site more then once as I have been on trips with friends that I am willing to share a room with..but not a BED!...and they would not guarantee double beds.

What times do the pools typically open/close? And do they have food/beverage services? And...are there plenty of loungers or is there a urgency to claim one? :)

What times do the pools typically open/close?
Oddly, the hours are not listed on any paperwork from a recent visit :headache:

...are there plenty of loungers or is there a urgency to claim one? :)
I don't use the pool, but had a room overlooking the pools in May. It was surprising to see how busy the pools were, even though the parks were not too busy and it was not very hot. During the summer, it would be a good idea to "claim" a lounger early.

May 19 at 4PM: (rental cabanas are the square "tents" on the left)
gch_pool.jpg

What times do the pools typically open/close? And do they have food/beverage services? And...are there plenty of loungers or is there a urgency to claim one? :)

During my stays at the Grand Californian, I remember the pools closing at 10 pm. I think they open at 8 am.

Hi! I am planning one night on a Thursday mid-September. I would like to check in asap so that we may make the EMH that day. I understand that our room will not likely be ready that early, but that I may still get the key to access the park for EMH. Is this correct?

Also, how busy is the check-in desk that early in the morning? For example, if the park opens at 9am, EMH is at 8am, what time should I plan on being at the check-in desk to then get in line about 30 minutes before park opening? If park opens an hour earlier, would the same general time rules apply, or would it likely be less busy the hour earlier?

I know that front desks can be quite busy in the morning, and I don't want to lose the EMH by standing in line at the hotel!

So, when staying one night, I can use EMH for two mornings if I get there early enough the day of check-in, correct?

Is parking still $15/night?

Finally, what time is check-out?

Thanks! :cool1:

Hi! I am planning one night on a Thursday mid-September. I would like to check in asap so that we may make the EMH that day. I understand that our room will not likely be ready that early, but that I may still get the key to access the park for EMH. Is this correct?

Also, how busy is the check-in desk that early in the morning? For example, if the park opens at 9am, EMH is at 8am, what time should I plan on being at the check-in desk to then get in line about 30 minutes before park opening? If park opens an hour earlier, would the same general time rules apply, or would it likely be less busy the hour earlier?

I know that front desks can be quite busy in the morning, and I don't want to lose the EMH by standing in line at the hotel!

So, when staying one night, I can use EMH for two mornings if I get there early enough the day of check-in, correct?

Is parking still $15/night?

Finally, what time is check-out?

Thanks! :cool1:

yes you can access the park with the EMH both days - the day you arrive and the day you depart. we did this a couple of months ago. our EMH was at 8am. i was in line by 7 but wish i had been in line at 6:30. check-in took FOREVER. there were only two people working check-in and each person/group took about 20 minutes. we didn't get to go into the park until 8:30 which means we missed about 1/2 of our EMH. parking was $15 per night in may. check-out, if memory serves, was at 11am but we were granted a late check-out of 1 without a problem. ENJOY!

yes you can access the park with the EMH both days - the day you arrive and the day you depart. we did this a couple of months ago. our EMH was at 8am. i was in line by 7 but wish i had been in line at 6:30. check-in took FOREVER. there were only two people working check-in and each person/group took about 20 minutes. we didn't get to go into the park until 8:30 which means we missed about 1/2 of our EMH. parking was $15 per night in may. check-out, if memory serves, was at 11am but we were granted a late check-out of 1 without a problem. ENJOY!

Thank you so much for the information! I will definitely get there early early!

I am thinking that a woods view room would be perfect for our Christmas holiday. Does anyone have any photos? On another thread, someone posted their shot. It was of the tree area around Grizzly. It was practically the same view we had with our premium theme park view last year.

I am thinking that a woods view room would be perfect for our Christmas holiday. Does anyone have any photos? On another thread, someone posted their shot. It was of the tree area around Grizzly. It was practically the same view we had with our premium theme park view last year.

while i don't have any photos we have LOVED our woods view. we have stayed twice and had this view both times. it's quiet and sitting on the balcony in the morning or evening is just peaceful. you can hear some of the distant noises from the park or downtown disney but it's great after the sensory overload all day.

...I will definitely get there early early!
We often check in at 6:30AM and there is seldom a wait. Sunday is the busiest day, generally half the rooms "turn over". A Thursday in September should be relatively quiet.

Arriving early also avoids LA traffic. We live in Northern California, but usually visit relatives in Sherman Oaks the night before checking in. From there, we must be on the road by 6:00AM to avoid traffic.

Note about self parking: Leave your car in front of the hotel while checking in, then move it to the self park lot across the street. Your room key is needed to access the dedicated Grand Californian lot. Your $15 parking fee covers both the check in and check out days :thumbsup2

We often check in at 6:30AM and there is seldom a wait. Sunday is the busiest day, generally half the rooms "turn over". A Thursday in September should be relatively quiet.

Arriving early also avoids LA traffic. We live in Northern California, but usually visit relatives in Sherman Oaks the night before checking in. From there, we must be on the road by 6:00AM to avoid traffic.

Note about self parking: Leave your car in front of the hotel while checking in, then move it to the self park lot across the street. Your room key is needed to access the dedicated Grand Californian lot. Your $15 parking fee covers both the check in and check out days :thumbsup2

Thank you so much for the info, especially about the parking!

In regards to the news about the refrigerators:

The news post I read about this said that DVC rooms would not be affected - however, wondering if anyone knows if this includes Studio DVC rooms, since I know they have a smaller fridge (not full size). Just wondering how the fridge in the DVC studios compares to the ones in the non-DVC standard rooms. We'll be checking into a DVC studio at the Grand Californian in a little over a week.

Thanks for any input! :)

We will be staying at the GC in August while my husband attends a conference at the Anaheim Convention Center. We will have a rental car but would rather not pay the convention center parking fee each day ($12-15) since we will already be paying the $15 GC parking fee. Google maps says its only a half mile to walk from GC to the convention center but is that practical? In other words, are there sidewalks? I've tried zooming in on the satellite view and it seems as if there are sidewalks but it is difficult to tell for sure. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter