Grand Californian Super Thread

I have not been to Disneyland for longer than I care to admit---will now visit with my son and dil in mid October. We have chosen premium downtown Disney view rooms.

My question---is it possible to request specific rooms? While I understand it would be request only, is there a "best way" to do this?

We will not arrive until late afternoon and wonder if this is a disadvantage----should we check in by phone in the morning?--would really be so appreciative if you "pros" would help us with this. We are so looking forward to this visit and, like everyone, want it to be special.

Thanks----

We always call the morning of check in (at like 7:00 am), and have always gotten the room we requested (not a specific room number, but the location and the bed configuration). The rooms should be assigned by then, so you can ask whether you've gotten what you requested, and if not, they might be able to change it for you. If they did assign you a room that you like, you should stress how important it is to you. One time the woman I spoke with said that she would note NOT to change our room, which was nice.

This time around (over the long weekend), I called to preregister and was told that we had the bed configuration and location we had requested- but when we checked in around 4:30 p.m., they had changed our room to a totally undesirable location. They were able to get us where we wanted to be in the end, but I think that was pretty lucky. A lot of it has to do with how full the hotel is.

Just booked a standard concierge room for 4 nights next week. Have two questions...

What would be a room number or area of rooms that I could request to be placed. I would like to have a decent view. I am not expecting a park or pool view but if you know of any rooms that have a good view that I could request?

Anybody have the email address and/or the phone number for the concierge planning office? I have a few questions for them and the email would be the best if anybody has it?

I know I read through this thread when we first found out we were staying at the GCH Villas several months ago, but my 4 & 1/2 year old has sucked out all my brain cells so I can't remember anything!
We are not classy people, but I'm hoping to avoid looking like the Beverly Hillbillies when we pull up! (We did when we stayed at a timeshare in Tahoe last year. Quite embarasing!)
Anyway, I know we will be bringing a lot of stuff, there are 8 of us total in 2 cars. I know we are going to bring food from home (non-perishables, beer, ect) plus all the 'stuff' it takes to bring 2 kids on vacation for a week!
Here's my question...how does the unloading and getting it up to the car work? Is there a bellhop, how much do we tip, etc.
Thanks so much for your help!

I know I read through this thread when we first found out we were staying at the GCH Villas several months ago, but my 4 & 1/2 year old has sucked out all my brain cells so I can't remember anything!
We are not classy people, but I'm hoping to avoid looking like the Beverly Hillbillies when we pull up! (We did when we stayed at a timeshare in Tahoe last year. Quite embarasing!)
Anyway, I know we will be bringing a lot of stuff, there are 8 of us total in 2 cars. I know we are going to bring food from home (non-perishables, beer, ect) plus all the 'stuff' it takes to bring 2 kids on vacation for a week!
Here's my question...how does the unloading and getting it up to the car work? Is there a bellhop, how much do we tip, etc.

First, I wouldn't care what other people think. You're a registered guest of the hotel and it's none of their business if you bring those things that are necessary to make your trip an enjoyable one.

So, having gotten that off my chest, when you pull up to the entrance of the Grand Californian there are bell hops right there, but you might want to make sure that your villa is ready. If it is before 4:00 PM you'll have to have luck for it to be available. VGC is our home resort and we've never gotten into our villa before 4:00 or later. Tell the bell hop that you're going inside to register. If your room isn't ready you have a couple of choices. Either leave everything in the car and park it in the self-park across the street or give it to the bell hops to store for you until later. We usually just leave everything in the car. If we bring food it is in coolers that can handle being in the car for a couple more hours. If you leave everything in the car, when your room is ready I'd drive the car from the self-parking back to the front of the hotel and get a bell hop.

When you're ready tell the bell hop that you have a lot of stuff and ask them to get one (or two?) of their carts. You'd be surprised how much they can put on a cart. We've never needed two. If your room is ready the bell hop will accompany you to the villa with all your stuff. If you're asking them to store your luggage until later they will take it their luggage storage. The problem with storing the luggage is you probably end up double tipping. Once to the bell hop you took your stuff and again to the bell hop who retrieved it.

Regarding tips, there seems to be a lot of variation. I believe that the bell hops live on the tips so I usually tip $2 per bag, maxing out at $20 for the whole cart. Others may have different practices.

Rereading your original post, I wonder whether they would be willing to store alcohol. I recall that there is some limitation when you're ordering groceries from a local store, you have to be there to receive the delivery if it includes alcohol. Perhaps another reader will have more information.

Good luck and have a great time. VGC is fantastic!

Unless you are sitting in a rocking chair, roped to the top of the car, I wouldn't worry about looking like the Beverly Hillbillies.

Rereading your original post, I wonder whether they would be willing to store alcohol. I recall that there is some limitation when you're ordering groceries from a local store, you have to be there to receive the delivery if it includes alcohol. Perhaps another reader will have more information.

Earlier this year our grocery order, which included booze, arrived before our room was ready. I did have to be there to sign for the groceries, but bell services held it for me until we checked in and called them from our villa to have it brought up. Easy as pie!

Unless you are sitting in a rocking chair is roped to the top of the car, I wouldn't worry about looking like the Beverly Hillbillies.

:thumbsup2 Well shoot, guess I'll leave the rocking chair at home....

First, I wouldn't care what other people think. You're a registered guest of the hotel and it's none of their business if you bring those things that are necessary to make your trip an enjoyable one.

So, having gotten that off my chest, when you pull up to the entrance of the Grand Californian there are bell hops right there, but you might want to make sure that your villa is ready. If it is before 4:00 PM you'll have to have luck for it to be available. VGC is our home resort and we've never gotten into our villa before 4:00 or later. Tell the bell hop that you're going inside to register. If your room isn't ready you have a couple of choices. Either leave everything in the car and park it in the self-park across the street or give it to the bell hops to store for you until later. We usually just leave everything in the car. If we bring food it is in coolers that can handle being in the car for a couple more hours. If you leave everything in the car, when your room is ready I'd drive the car from the self-parking back to the front of the hotel and get a bell hop.

When you're ready tell the bell hop that you have a lot of stuff and ask them to get one (or two?) of their carts. You'd be surprised how much they can put on a cart. We've never needed two. If your room is ready the bell hop will accompany you to the villa with all your stuff. If you're asking them to store your luggage until later they will take it their luggage storage. The problem with storing the luggage is you probably end up double tipping. Once to the bell hop you took your stuff and again to the bell hop who retrieved it.

Regarding tips, there seems to be a lot of variation. I believe that the bell hops live on the tips so I usually tip $2 per bag, maxing out at $20 for the whole cart. Others may have different practices.

Thanks I'll remember that. We are driving down from Norther Cali and hope to be there before 4pm. It is a park day for us (I want to see F!), so I think we'll probably just park the cars, do DL for a bit and then head back over to the hotel to unpack and get dinner before going back to the parks. Is Whitewater Snacks a good spot to grab a quick dinner? I know we'll want to enjoy our park time, so I'm thinking we might not want to spend a lot of time eating that night.

Heehee, too funny. We have stayed at GCH several times and I know the bell hops are just trying to be helpful but when we pull up to the front door I feel like they are bumrushing us, I just want a second to get my stuff organized and unload. Now I make my poor DH stop the car before we get to the GCH so I can organize a little in an effort to not look like the Beverly Hillbillies as we unload all the suitcases and groceries.

mrsw94,

I would by all means arrive at the hotel first and check and see if your room is available, regardless of what time you arrive. Although not guaranteed until posted check in time, they will often give you access to the room if they have it available....which for me has been almost every time.

Simply pull up and just let the bell hops know that you would like to check and see if your room is available before you unload and that you would prefer to not unload until it is ready and pass on the offer of bag check and storage.

If it is ready, unload and start your vacation. If not, you can park in self park across the street and they will send you a text when you room is available and you can go unload at your leisure, but i would definitely see if you can check in early first...they accommodate that all the time if they are not busy.

Heehee, too funny. We have stayed at GCH several times and I know the bell hops are just trying to be helpful but when we pull up to the front door I feel like they are bumrushing us, I just want a second to get my stuff organized and unload. Now I make my poor DH stop the car before we get to the GCH so I can organize a little in an effort to not look like the Beverly Hillbillies as we unload all the suitcases and groceries.

Glad to know I'm not the only one! We were rushing for the Tahoe trip last year and by the end I was randomly tossing stuff into the car, not realizing it would go into valet parking and we wouldn't be able to get to it easily! I'll be better prepared this time!

mrsw94,

I would by all means arrive at the hotel first and check and see if your room is available, regardless of what time you arrive. Although not guaranteed until posted check in time, they will often give you access to the room if they have it available....which for me has been almost every time.

Simply pull up and just let the bell hops know that you would like to check and see if your room is available before you unload and that you would prefer to not unload until it is ready and pass on the offer of bag check and storage.

If it is ready, unload and start your vacation. If not, you can park in self park across the street and they will send you a text when you room is available and you can go unload at your leisure, but i would definitely see if you can check in early first...they accommodate that all the time if they are not busy.

Good to know about the text alert. That will be easier!

One more question (I have a lot!) Can we exchange our paper tickets for Park Hoppers at the hotel and then use the GCH entrance, or do we need to go to the plaz to the regular ticket booths?

The front desks of the resort hotels also serve as full ticket booths for guests checking in. They should be able to do everything that the ticket window can do.

We just got back from a great trip over the Labor day weekend. Our son drove from his place in Ca, another friend flew in from out of state and my wife and I drove from AZ. So we had two cars full of stuff to unpack, and since we were there for the 1/2 marathon, we had food, clothes, running clothes, cases of water and Gatorade.

We checked in really really early, knowing the room would not be ready, and just parked our cars across the street. Later when we got the text that the room was ready for us, we drove one car into the hotel area, unpacked it; then three of us waited while the other drove that car out, reparked it, then we repeated the unloading process with the second car.

Then the four of us carried all our junk, in grocery bags, tote bags, carry on size bags with and w/o rollers, plus the cases of drinks. We look like refugees from a disaster area, but who cares?

The good part is alwyas, when leaving, we have a lot less stuff as we eat and drink most of what we bring in, and sometimes, esp if we make a large purchase or are just going for a walk to DTD, we'll bring the packages or some stuff we no longer need back to the car.

mrsw94 said:
Can we exchange our paper tickets for Park Hoppers at the hotel and then use the GCH entrance?
Yes, paper printouts can be converted at the GCH entrance.

Could one(or more!) of you kind,experienced GCH guests tell me if all the hotel rooms--not the villas-- in the new wing have good Paradise Pier views? Would we be able to see World of Color from the "new wing" location.

Many, many thanks for your thoughts.

No all of the rooms, but some. Floor one is blocked from view...floor two has partial view from a few select rooms, three has decent view depending on where you are...I had floor 4 right in the middle of the wing over Goofy's Sky School and had a GREAT view of WOC.

Hi everyone :wave2:

I've tried looking through this thread a bit for info, but I am pretty confused and thought I might be better off just asking my questions and hopefully someone is nice enough to fill me in.

My Grandmother has extra weeks in her timeshare and she was going to allow me to take one to use at Disney's Grand Californian (for my birthday, March 2). She has to call to get the reservation, but I am assuming we'll be getting a studio room since there are only 2 of us.

So...I guess I just have questions about everything. Do we have to pay for parking? Where are the DVC rooms located? Are we still allowed to use the hotel's DCA entrance? Do we get the extra morning hour? There are also probably a million questions I haven't thought of to ask, so if anyone has extra time on their hands I would appreciate any info you could give me.

OhioStateBuckeye said:
My Grandmother has extra weeks in her timeshare and she was going to allow me to take one to use at Disney's Grand Californian (for my birthday, March 2). She has to call to get the reservation, but I am assuming we'll be getting a studio room since there are only 2 of us.
DVC members can also book online. Studios are the first to book, so make reservations ASAP.

OhioStateBuckeye said:
So...I guess I just have questions about everything. Do we have to pay for parking? Where are the DVC rooms located? Are we still allowed to use the hotel's DCA entrance? Do we get the extra morning hour?
Guest using DVC Points receive free Self Parking. Villas are located near Paradise Pier, but only 4 studios have a WOC view.
You can use the hotel park entrance and early entry, villa guest receive the same benefits as hotel guests.

The Villas at the Grand Californian Superthread will answer any questions you might have.
Search this board for the thread. (I'm using the iPad app, so it's easier for you to search than for me to create a link)

Just got back from a quick visit...here's a shot from room 5440 balcony. I prefer a Paradise Pier view of the park but this room was more convenient to the park entrances.

room5440.jpg

What kind of coffee pots are in the rooms now? Still Kuerig?

Anyone know how much it costs to do a load of laundry? I know it's tokens, but I can't remember how much it was.

Do you also tip for turndown service?

Thanks!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter