• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Californian Special Offers?

erineab

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone,
I am a frequent visitor to WDW planning my first ever Disneyland trip for next August (20th-27th). I am wavering between renting dvc points to stay at the Grand Californian or booking directly through Disney. As the room rate stands right now, I'd save about $700 renting points. However, if a 25% discount becomes available it would actually cost me approximately $100 more to rent points vs. booking directly through Disney. My question is whether or not discounts are typical for this time frame at Disneyland hotels the way they are at WDW hotels? Is a 25% discount even realistic? Any input would be greatly valued!

If you can get a reservation using your points, I would go that route. Summer can be difficult; actually anytime can be difficult. I would be on the phone or member site right at the 7 month mark. A discount is semi realistic for weekdays if you have an AP. If you can swing it via points, that sounds like it would be the best.

25% off is a rare find and usually only for special groups or AP holders. There aren't many DVC rooms, so you need to decide right away if you want to rent there. One of the benefits of staying in the DVC room is that you'll have a kitchen, or at least a microwave if you stay in a studio. The benefits of paying for the hotel is the housekeeping service with chocolates on your pillow.

I had a split stay once where I was in a DVC studio for the first part and the hotel for the second part. I liked the hotel stay better, but we didn't fix any of our own meals that time. If you want to fix any of your own meals, get a DVC room.

Thanks for the input. I do not have my own points but I have found someone to work with to rent at the 11 month mark. Are discounts at the Disneyland Hotel also hard to come by?

It is rare to find discounts outside of run weekends, gay days, and dapper days. I would go the dvc route

...I do not have my own points but I have found someone to work with to rent at the 11 month mark...
I'm a fan of VGC, so go ahead and rent points :thumbsup2
A few things to note:
  • Studio occupancy is 4, hotel room occupancy is 5
  • All studios have a queen and fold-out sofa
  • You are unlikely to see any significant discounts for August, and DLR hotel discounts are often only for upgraded view rooms (not standard view) and only for weekdays (not Friday/Saturday)
  • Remember to consider the 17% hotel room tax, there is no tax on VGC
  • Learn more about VGC in the Superthread

Hello everyone,
I am a frequent visitor to WDW planning my first ever Disneyland trip for next August (20th-27th). I am wavering between renting dvc points to stay at the Grand Californian or booking directly through Disney. As the room rate stands right now, I'd save about $700 renting points. However, if a 25% discount becomes available it would actually cost me approximately $100 more to rent points vs. booking directly through Disney. My question is whether or not discounts are typical for this time frame at Disneyland hotels the way they are at WDW hotels? Is a 25% discount even realistic? Any input would be greatly valued!

There is often a discount code for 18-20% off with Cheaptickets and Orbitz. Sometimes Disney will offer a discount as well, but seems to be more often during lower seasons (they offered 20-25% off in September 2016 for example). However you would probably have to wait until just a few months before to see if they offer anything, but by then VGC will probably be booked solid, so it would be risky.

Keep in mind with the hotel you have to pay ~18% tax and also pay for parking $18 per day for self park. Currently DVC parking is free and there is no additional tax.

If you decide to book with Disney direct, may I suggest you book with Costco or another booking agent instead so you can get a couple of perks. One of the perks is one free premium character meal for each person in your party. You can use these at the character meal or at other Disney restaurants. We like using them at Carnation Café instead. It stretches you money. You can pay your trip online using gift cards. That is a plus if you use a Target red card to get 5% off Disney gift cards - this saves you 5% off your trip.

We just returned from the GCH hotel last week. The special running was 25% off from Aug 14th thru Sept 29 for DLH and GCH Sundays to Thursday's. I booked thru Cheaptickets and added their 18% code to it, so yes, the discounts are there at that time of year. Another option is LMTclub.com which you have to join (free membership codes are all over the Internet) and they often have the discounted rooms available after the Cheaptickets allotment is gone.
By the way, our trip was the week before labour day and the crowds were the lowest I have seen in years for any time of year at DL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter