Grand Californian Questions

poohj80

Got Hunny?
Hi there,

I grew up on Disneyland, but have become a WDW vet since living east of the Mississippi. I am taking my DD for her first trip to DL in October and we're staying at the GCV. DH and I stayed there pre-DD and pre-GCA villas, so just wondering if much has changed to the resort to add DVC touches? For example, is there a community hall with kid's activities? I looked only but didn't find much which makes me think the answer is no, but thought I would ask the experts just to be safe.

Any other DL/GCV tips you would like to share? I'm already listening to the DL podcasts to start planning our must do lists.

Thanks for any help you may offer,

PJ

Hi there,

I grew up on Disneyland, but have become a WDW vet since living east of the Mississippi. I am taking my DD for her first trip to DL in October and we're staying at the GCV. DH and I stayed there pre-DD and pre-GCA villas, so just wondering if much has changed to the resort to add DVC touches? For example, is there a community hall with kid's activities? I looked only but didn't find much which makes me think the answer is no, but thought I would ask the experts just to be safe.

Any other DL/GCV tips you would like to share? I'm already listening to the DL podcasts to start planning our must do lists.

Thanks for any help you may offer,

PJ

They built a new wing that includes the DVC Villas. I believe it was formerly a lawn, across from Paradise Pier. Only 48 DVC rooms, the rest of the rooms in the new wing are regular rooms. No community hall. I stayed there last May, loved it! Room was very nice and had a great view of DCA.

I too, started at DL and can remember a time way before the Grand Californian was ever built or the California Park. :)
We still live in California but because of our DVC membership find ourselves at DW.
We have stayed in the villas at the Grand Californian in a studio and stayed there during a different trip before there were villas in a room with bunk beds. I actually preferred the 'hotel room' over the DVC room. The bunk beds were a great feature for my two boys and I found the studio tiny. (Must admit we are now a family of 5 and only could stay in the studio because the youngest was 8 months old at the time)

They do have a 'clubhouse' for babysitting children like DW has at many of their resorts.

But overall, Disneyland is still becoming accustom to DVC members and I did not find the hotel greatly changed. You will really need to remind or ask CMs whether there are discounts because of your membership and I found that the CM's often would not know. So bring a copy of your DVC Perks so you know.

It's still my favorite hotel in DL to stay in. Have fun!

We stayed in one bedroom overlooking Paradise Pier and loved it!! The decor and overall feel is wonderful. The view amazing.

I think there is a scavenger hunt in the hotel as well as a power walk in DCA and an arts and craft "tour" of the hotel. There is a piano player and some great rocking chairs.

We love WDW but there is just something about DLR and VGC that make us continue to want to keep coming back.

Enjoy!! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter