• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Californian or Paradise Pier?

DisneyOhio

Earning My Ears
:confused:

Hey, I only have 220 some points and plan to visit DL soon. Which of the above is best to use points? I'd like to stay longer but location is helpful too. I'm really confused. HELP!

We have stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian. Disneyland Hotel is very kid friendly and a lot of fun. The GC is more formal, but a fabulous hotel! We stayed at both hotels with children. Given the choice, I would choose the GC again. The access to California Adventure and Downtown Disney is unbeatable. Of course, all of the hotels are in very close proximity. I do not know very much about Paradise Pier. I was told at one time(by my family in Southern CA) that it was not as "Disney" as the other two hotels, but I am sure that is just a matter of opinion. If you have enough points, I would splurge on the Grand Californian. No matter what, I am sure you will have a great time!!!!

We stayed at the GC last August on our way back from hawaii for 3 nights and we loved it. The location and access to Californian Adventure and DTD is unbelieveable. You will not be disappointed. It is almost an exact duplicate of the Wilderness Lodge. Our kids are 14 and 20 so I am not sure about the kid activities. We used our points for 2 nights and had a driveway view, similar to the BWv check in area. I am sure you will really enjoy it there. I believe tonight and tomorrow night there is a special on the CAlifornian adventure and i am sure you will see the resorts

We have stayed at the Grand Californian too. It was amazing and beautiful. I would not hesitate to stay there again. As for the other DL resorts, I don't think you can go wrong with them either. We stopped by each and gave them the once over.

Paradise Pier was not built by Disney. It was a hotel that was built near the park and later purchased by Disney. I believe you would be better off staying at the Disneyland Hotel if you don't stay at the Grand Californian. The Disneyland Hotel has a more highly themed pool area. As for the Grand Californian, it is much like the Wilderness lodge. I don't think you could go wrong there. We have friends going this weekend and they chose the Disneyland Hotel because their kids liked the pool more.

Both the Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier Hotel were built by someone other than Disney. But both are nice. I have heard that DLH has better theming over PPH.

Last summer I stayed on points at both the GC and DLH. We also had the view over the entrance to the hotel and the parking lot across the street at the GC. We got the Sleeping pad and sleeping bag they have instead of rollaways. Needed three beds because the group was me, my son age 15, daughter age 34 and grand daughter age 14. While the access to the parks was great at the GC the room at DLH was much better for us. It was bigger and there was a day bed as well as the two queen beds and it even had a dorm size fridge and wet bar. I had requested a rollaway, before I knew about the day bed, which was also there and we had them take it away. ( It was no charge if we used it unlike at BWV at WDW where it was $15 a night). The GC had a mini bar with a space that would hold about 2 sodas as your personal space and very pricey items if you chose to use them. If I go back I will definitely use the DLH and ask for the pool view. We were on one of the upper floors and had a great time looking out at the wedding area and the pool area. We went to the pool at the Paradise Pier and had a nice time when the pool at the DLH was closed for chemical correction due to people allowing their small children in the pool without swim diapers. The paradise pier had a good view of the fireworks from the pool area. We really didn't get a look at any of their rooms so can't help your there. All in all they all were nice and it really wasn't that big a deal to walk to either of the parks. You can use all the pools so that waasn't a consideration as the walk is short between the three places.
Hope you have as good a time as we did - For me it was a trip back in time as I lived two miles down the street from the main entrance from 1955-1958 and had been there for the pre opening invitation only trial days in July 1955. We used to watch the fireworks from our back yard back then and it really was a "trip" to go back.

We stayed at both resorts during a trip Nov. 2001. We were traveling with children ages 14-18 months. The older children were very taken with the GC. There were robes in the room and we overlooked a courtyard and a peek or Downtown Disney. There was a story teller in the lobby near the fireplace. One morning there was coloring for children in a lounge area. The themeing is fabulous done in Arts and Crafts style. We never used the pool so can't answer questions on that. The staff comes in at night and turns down your bed and placed a foil character coin with good night message on the pillow.

The DLH in the lobby and hallways were pretty much normal hotel decoration. The rooms had disney themed bedspreads and picture on the front of the tv/ dresser. The pool had a slide and kids enjoyed it. We walked to the small quiet pool and on the way back ran into Goofy near the remote control boat lagoon. The kids drove boats with Goofy. Goofy's kitchen is connected and we had a character dinner there one night. Much better interaction than we ever had at WDW (maybe want to be actors). We had Goofy, Max, Alice (who sat on the floor and had a make believe tea party with the girls in the group), Genie and Buzz.

Both resorts have walk ways to Downtown Disney. You can walk to monorail station or walk directly to the parks. The two parks are right across from each other. Many of the rides are very different from their conterparts at WDW. Many we liked better.

Another subject. Check out getawaytoday.org for tickets. We got great prices and no problems using.

We really enjoyed our trip and all ages loved it.

Can't really add from what other folks stated.Have stayed at all 3 and given the choice, It would be the GC then DLH then PP. If you like the WL you will love the GC.Have a great stay wherever you end up.:D

We have stayed twice at the Grand Californian, once adults only and the other time with teens. The theming is very similar to the Wilderness Lodge at WDW. The accessibility to the parks is wonderful! The GC has its own entrance to California Adventure, and Downtown Disney. Disneyland is a just a short stroll away, too.

I would choose this hotel again and I was very pleased with both my stays there. :)

We have stayed at both the GC and DLH in the last 3 months. I am a huge GC fan, so that would be my vote. We actually have stayed at the GC 3 times since it's opening and only used points once. The last two times we paid cash for a theme park view. It is truly magical to be right in the middle of the park, in an absolutely gorgeous hotel. The location cannot be beat. Having said all of that, our last stay was at the DLH as we could not get into the GC. It was a very nice room and we had a great view of the pool. The staff were very friendly and the monorail is close for a quick trip to DL. We also paid cash for this stay so I am not as familiar these days with the points needed. Either way I think you will enjoy your visit very much.

I have stayed at all three many times.. Just got back from DLH two days ago... I do like the GC best... But they are all nice. You can use the neverland pool if you are staying at PP and visa versa. The pool over the garage at PP is open till 10 and the neverland pool is only open till 9:00. These are not like WDW where they are open 24 hrs :( The pool at GC is only for their guest. The only thing I can add is though the fridge at GC is an honor bar with little room for your own items. (Plus it uses sensors, so you cannot take things out and then replace the items later to make room for your own items.) If you call housekeeping they will bring you a small empty fridge free of charge upon request...
Also PP is just across the street from GC. So when I am short on money and stay at their AP rate of $79 a night. I just walk across the street and enjoy their lobby... Also the GC have the refillable mugs just like WDW... $7.99 a mug.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter