Grand Californian Availability

karana

Mouseketeer
Hello,
I am helping my son plan for his honeymoon and wondered what the availability trends are for the first week in August for the GC? Also, would this DVC resort be a reasonable place to stay if they wanted to see LA, SanDiego, or Hollywood? I have only been to San Francisco, so very unfamiliar with CA. Since they have been to WDW many times, they are not so interested in DisneyLand, but I wanted to help them out with DVC points to make their accommodations more affordable.

RCI recommendations for the California coast near the above mentioned cities?
I am aware that the Hotel Coronado is on the list, but points wise, it is steep. Perhaps worth it, though.

There are only 60 DVC rooms at VGC.You might want to check on the price for a cash reservation at Disney or elsewhere. Each of the locations that you mentioned are very different, Anaheim is in the middle between San Diego and LA/Hollywood so Disney would be a great, but expensive location.

:earsboy: Bill

We got 1 BR at the GCV a day after the 7 month mark for July, there were no studios left, but LOVED the 1BR. We have used DLR as a base several times for visting, LA, Hollywood, baseball games, San Diego and although it is a good location in regards to distance, traffic however can really wreck havoc on that. Adding 30 minutes or sometimes even doubling the amount of time to get somewhere. It can be frustrating, but as long as you plan accordingly it is fine for a few one day excursions

I live in San Diego. It usually only takes us an hour and 15 minutes to get to Disneyland. But during Friday night work traffic it can take 2 and a half hours. SO they just need to be mindful of what tim,e of day they are driving. And the traffic to San Diego should not be as bad as LA traffic.

I just got a studio for the first week of May at 7 months.

I've driven from DL to Hollywood, it was about 90 minutes on a Sunday afternoon with traffic.

Our family did what you describe last August. We stayed at Disneyland for a week and traveled to both San Diego and LA.

It worked for us but we only did that on two of the days we were there since we wanted to be at Disneyland. It can be done. You just have to plan around the traffic the best you can. For example go into LA on a Sunday. Go down to San Diego after the morning rush hour, etc....

HBC

we were able to get a studio checking in on July 5th this past July, and we got it at the 7th month mark! We used the location as our home base for doing just as you describe, with no problem! We did not tour San Diego, but did Catalina Island for a day, which I highly recommend!:thumbsup2

we started our vacation at DL with a studio with a pool view, then returned to finish out the vacation with a studio with a California Adventure park view. Both views were WONDERFUL!! And please don't ask me which one I would prefer, because I wouldn't be able to pick, they were BOTH that good.!

I've had really good luck getting in. We even hit the jackpot with a ressie on opening weekend. Loved being the first guest in the room! I wasn't able to get in for a December date but did get Christmas itself...go figure. I would plan on calling in as soon as you're 7 months out just to be sure.

Thank you everyone for your advice. It really helps to get the "experienced" traveler's input. Seven months out should work since that is at the end of December just before my son returns to grad school. I can't believe traffic could be any worse there than it is here in Northern Virginia. At least my son is very familiar with working around rush hour. Not sure he will see that as a relaxing honeymoon.

May have to check out RCI resorts on the coast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter