Graduation Trip! Need advice

All Tangled Up

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone! I will be graduating high school May 2016. Naturally I picked Disney World as my graduation vacation :) We're unsure of when we're going, it might even be in early 2017 if need be. I've always gone almost every summer with my grandparents since I was little, but I am bringing 2-3 people that have never gone before, or have gone when they were too young to remember. I've also been looking at prices online, on the Disney World website, Undercover Tourist, various airline websites etc... I need advice for all of these things especially saving in general! Btw all of the people I'm bringing with me are pitching in in some way, so I don't have to pay it all by myself haha

I'm already starting to stash at least $10-50 a week, depending on how much I earn from my job in retail. I'm expecting to earn a decent amount from my graduation party too, but I'm not entirely sure how much.

Now, some questions haha

- Is it worth booking a travel agent affiliated with Disney? On some Facebook groups I've posted some questions and have gotten a few offers for quotes. But I'm not sure if it would save me money or stress, and I really am the kind of person that likes to plan out everything, so...
- I was looking at the resorts and we all would really like to stay onsite to get all the benefits that come with it (MagicBands, etc). I'm not sure if I should stick with a value or moderate resort though. I've always been the kind of person that does the parks from open to close, so a resort for me would probably just be a place to shower and sleep (though I am planning on spending arrival and departure day relaxing at the resort). I'll have to ask my friends what they're going to plan on doing (spending all day at the parks with me or part of it at the resort) but for now I'm thinking of Port Orleans French Quarter. Is that a good idea?
- How much should I budget for food? We're not planning on doing the dining plan. We think we are going to bring/buy all of our breakfast items (except for maybe one sit down meal at the parks) and we definitely have to do at least one character meal.
- How much should I budget for souvenirs, etc? I wasn't planning on bringing too much stuff back home with me but I definitely want some stuff!

General advice for saving (before and during the trip) are appreciated too! Thanks so much :)

Hello everyone! I will be graduating high school May 2016. Naturally I picked Disney World as my graduation vacation :) We're unsure of when we're going, it might even be in early 2017 if need be. I've always gone almost every summer with my grandparents since I was little, but I am bringing 2-3 people that have never gone before, or have gone when they were too young to remember. I've also been looking at prices online, on the Disney World website, Undercover Tourist, various airline websites etc... I need advice for all of these things especially saving in general! Btw all of the people I'm bringing with me are pitching in in some way, so I don't have to pay it all by myself haha

I'm already starting to stash at least $10-50 a week, depending on how much I earn from my job in retail. I'm expecting to earn a decent amount from my graduation party too, but I'm not entirely sure how much.

Now, some questions haha

- Is it worth booking a travel agent affiliated with Disney? On some Facebook groups I've posted some questions and have gotten a few offers for quotes. But I'm not sure if it would save me money or stress, and I really am the kind of person that likes to plan out everything, so...
- I was looking at the resorts and we all would really like to stay onsite to get all the benefits that come with it (MagicBands, etc). I'm not sure if I should stick with a value or moderate resort though. I've always been the kind of person that does the parks from open to close, so a resort for me would probably just be a place to shower and sleep (though I am planning on spending arrival and departure day relaxing at the resort). I'll have to ask my friends what they're going to plan on doing (spending all day at the parks with me or part of it at the resort) but for now I'm thinking of Port Orleans French Quarter. Is that a good idea?
- How much should I budget for food? We're not planning on doing the dining plan. We think we are going to bring/buy all of our breakfast items (except for maybe one sit down meal at the parks) and we definitely have to do at least one character meal.
- How much should I budget for souvenirs, etc? I wasn't planning on bringing too much stuff back home with me but I definitely want some stuff!

General advice for saving (before and during the trip) are appreciated too! Thanks so much :)
Is it worth booking a travel agent affiliated with Disney? On some Facebook groups I've posted some questions and have gotten a few offers for quotes. But I'm not sure if it would save me money or stress, and I really am the kind of person that likes to plan out everything, so...
A lot depends on the TA. There are some TAs that have access to pretty great deals while others will get the very same pricing that you would get if you were to deal straight with Disney yourself. If you're the type that doesn't like to give up control of your trip, then do it yourself unless you find someone who has access to deals that are not available to the general public.​
I was looking at the resorts and we all would really like to stay onsite to get all the benefits that come with it (MagicBands, etc). I'm not sure if I should stick with a value or moderate resort though. I've always been the kind of person that does the parks from open to close, so a resort for me would probably just be a place to shower and sleep (though I am planning on spending arrival and departure day relaxing at the resort). I'll have to ask my friends what they're going to plan on doing (spending all day at the parks with me or part of it at the resort) but for now I'm thinking of Port Orleans French Quarter. Is that a good idea?
If all you're going to do is shower and sleep, then a Value Resort is a better choice for you. Why spend money on a resort that you're not going to take the time to enjoy? I usually advise people to budget for the rack rate of the resort they want and then if a discount comes out, they can either upgrade to a more expensive resort or use the savings to add some extra fun during their stay.​
How much should I budget for food? We're not planning on doing the dining plan. We think we are going to bring/buy all of our breakfast items (except for maybe one sit down meal at the parks) and we definitely have to do at least one character meal.
How much should I budget for souvenirs, etc? I wasn't planning on bringing too much stuff back home with me but I definitely want some stuff!

There's no concrete answer for those questions. You can refer to the menus on allears .net to get an idea of what prices are today but they are bound to increase by the time you visit. Don't forget that prepared food is taxed at a rate of 6.5% and the customary gratuity in a TS restaurant is 15%-20% of the pre-tax bill.

Stuff can cost a little or a lot. Just set aside an amount that you're willing to blow on Disney souvenirs and stop spending when you reach it.​

I take it this is a bunch of eighteen year olds heading off together.

Be very clear up front how much money everyone will need. Park tickets and a resort aren't cheap. I'm assuming you'd drive down, since roadtripping is cheaper. Consider stopping for groceries, which will cut costs, letting people have breakfast in the room - even if its coffee maker oatmeal or pop tarts.

See what your budget is. A value is going to have two full beds. A moderate will have two queens. If you are talking about four to a room, you'll probably be more comfortable with a moderate, but its quite a price increase. You could also consider renting DVC points out at OKW - which would give you two queen beds at a very reasonable cost, plus a small fridge and a microwave.

I'd let everyone look at menus and budget for food. And then I'd make plans based on what people can afford. That might involve packing in PB&J in the parks.

You are going to have to up your savings. Taking our Girl Scout troop to Hilton Head on donated DVC points still cost the troop $1500 in food and gas and the hotels during the trip and some events (sight seeing in Savannah, a zip line tour) and there were no park tickets involved and almost all the meals the girl's prepped in the room.

In other words - start with your budget. Plan off of that. Don't start with a plan and then throw money at it, unless you have money to throw.

Also, be prepared for everyone to be on board right until its time to fork over cash - when the trip turns out to be too close to when they leave for college, or right over their last chance for High School Summerstock or they have to work.

Also, be prepared for everyone to be on board right until its time to fork over cash - when the trip turns out to be too close to when they leave for college, or right over their last chance for High School Summerstock or they have to work.

This.

I take it this is a bunch of eighteen year olds heading off together.

Be very clear up front how much money everyone will need. Park tickets and a resort aren't cheap. I'm assuming you'd drive down, since roadtripping is cheaper. Consider stopping for groceries, which will cut costs, letting people have breakfast in the room - even if its coffee maker oatmeal or pop tarts.

See what your budget is. A value is going to have two full beds. A moderate will have two queens. If you are talking about four to a room, you'll probably be more comfortable with a moderate, but its quite a price increase. You could also consider renting DVC points out at OKW - which would give you two queen beds at a very reasonable cost, plus a small fridge and a microwave.

I'd let everyone look at menus and budget for food. And then I'd make plans based on what people can afford. That might involve packing in PB&J in the parks.

You are going to have to up your savings. Taking our Girl Scout troop to Hilton Head on donated DVC points still cost the troop $1500 in food and gas and the hotels during the trip and some events (sight seeing in Savannah, a zip line tour) and there were no park tickets involved and almost all the meals the girl's prepped in the room.

In other words - start with your budget. Plan off of that. Don't start with a plan and then throw money at it, unless you have money to throw.

Thanks! I'll be 18 but one of my friends will be 20 and the other 19 or so. My mom will possibly come but she isn't sure if she wants to spend the money, but we would feel much more comfortable with an older adult with us, however if we do take my mom we'll definitely have to book a moderate resort as she isn't a parks all day kind of person.

Oh, and we aren't sure if we're road tripping or flying yet. I've never been afraid of airplanes but my 19 year old friend is nearly deathly afraid of them. So we have to factor that in as well. She could just take a Xanax or whatever and be good, but yeah.

Awesome advice, everyone!

I'd get a rough number of what you need, everyone start saving and once you all have what you need to go, then decide on a date and firm up plans and book/pay it. If that's 2017, then it's 2017. Life after high school changes and someone is going ot have some emergency like needs a new car to keep their job or college or maybe someone special in their life suddenly and they don't want to go anymore. It's also funny how 2 firends that have never been suddenly don't have interests when the price is found out and it's time to pay.

My DD and 3 of her friends did this in June 2008 after their HS graduation. It worked out great, even though some of the girls weren't 18 yet. They flew, used Disney transportation, stayed at Pop, had a great time. They had all been before, so knew what to expect. The parents did help with the planning - I ordered the tickets through Undercover tourist, another mom helped book the room, and they all did their own airfare. Budgeting for food requires some advance planning, looking at the menus, but you've got time.

My DD and 3 of her friends did this in June 2008 after their HS graduation. It worked out great, even though some of the girls weren't 18 yet. They flew, used Disney transportation, stayed at Pop, had a great time. They had all been before, so knew what to expect. The parents did help with the planning - I ordered the tickets through Undercover tourist, another mom helped book the room, and they all did their own airfare. Budgeting for food requires some advance planning, looking at the menus, but you've got time.

That's very reassuring so thanks!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter