Graduation for 8th graders??

I also went to catholic grade school. K-8th grade. We had a special breakfast and then wore caps and gowns to mass. I don't feel like that cheepened by HS graduation at all. I think it made my graduation from 8th grade more meaningful.

I just wanted to add. I went to Catholic School also, so it was straight through to 8th Grade. We didn't leave an Elementary school to go on to a Junior High. We were in that same school for 8 years. Our graduation (cap and Gown) was also held in our Church. It was a graduation ceremony/mass. It was beautiful too.

really why is it "cheapening" hs or college graduation? these are all at different stages of your life, what's wrong with marking the event? As someone else said, these kids are working a lot harder than we did when we went to school, classes are much more advanced, recess is out now... what's wrong with rewarding them? A lot of times, these kids are going to move on to schools that their friends aren't going to be going to due to boundaries, etc. let them celebrate.

I agree, but I think 8th grade and HS is sufficient. 8th grade marked the time before we were officially teens and going off to different high schools. I honestly cannot remember my Kindergarten one.

DS 8 had pre-school grad. No Kindergarten graduation. The elementary school he goes to has 5th grade graduation. The middlie school has 8th grade graduation. Everytime you turn around they are giving some sort of recognition for something. What happened to see ya next year, have a good summer????

I with those who think graduations have gotten out of hand. My DSs have graduated so many times that when DS17 graduates from high school it just seems like, well one more in a long line of ceremonies. I like the moving up celebration idea mentioned by someone else.
Eighth grade graduations started way back when most kids left school after that year. That said I know in Tennessee the graduation rate is just 60%. But honestly what good is a 8th grade education now?
I only had four graduations, High School, Community College, BS, MS and just went to two of them. I also have to attend two graduation ceremonies each year for the college I work for. I own my own cap and gown:scared1: So I may just be graduationed out.

My son is in the eigth grade and his school has an awards ceremony. The caps/gowns are for high school graduation when they achieve a major accomplishment. However, my son's school does an eigth grade dance where they dress up in formal clothing and I might be wrong, but I think this takes away from looking their junior/senior proms. I think they could just have a nice casual dance with great food and save the fancy clothes for thier high school years. They can have fun without spending all the extra for dressy clothes.

I teach in a middle school (grade 8 this year) and had this very conversation with a fellow teacher. She's new this year and was shocked that we didn't have an 8th grade graduation or an 8th grade "prom." She went to a small school, k-8, then to a regional high school, so leaving their elementary school was a big deal. Where we teach, however, there is nothing special for 8th grade at all-no dance, no ceremony, no class trip. There's a whole school semi-formal (which got out of hand with limos, gowns, tuxes and flowers, but thankfully has been reigned in the past couple of years), but that's it. We teach in a low-income, sports-centered district, so if a ball, court, and field of some sort aren't involved, there isn't money for it!

I like the idea of an awards assembly, even during the school day, to recognize the hard work they've done, or an 8th grade class "something" that's just for 8th graders, maybe a dance or party of some kind. I think caps and gowns are unnecessary, though!

The school district we live in is Pre-K 3 year olds to 8th grade. We only have 250 kids in the whole school system and they have been together for 10-11 years. We do not have Pre-K or Kindergarten graduations but we do have 8th grade graduation with caps and gowns, an awards assembly 2 days before graduation and a dance. And a photographer for individual pictures and a class picture. These kids deserve it!

Starting in 6th grade we pay annual dues to help cover the cost of graduation, the 8th grade hosts dances in our cafeteria that the 6th - 8th grade can participate in at $4 per student. We have bake sales, bottle drives, car washes etc. They have to raise the money for their trip to Washington DC, their class gift, and their graduation. The dues cover the basics for those that don't fundraise so everyone can at least go to graduation.
The majority of our kids then go on to the local high school which is 4000 kids from 9 towns. It happens to be one of the largest high school in New England. We also get the option of going to the tech school or catholic school so they are split even further.
The 8th grade graduation is the last time many of these kids spend a lot of time together.

We have had graduations from pre-k (w/paper caps, no gowns), kindergarten (nice clothes), and 5th grade (party w/casual clothes).

I don't know what 8th grade graduation is yet but I do know there is a BIG 8th grade dance. Parents rent limos and everything! Talk about cheapening something - what is left to be special for prom?

We also have the Big 8th grade dance (like a prom!!) and 8th grade graduation!!! It's really crazy. My sister-in-law (who also has an 8th grader) wants to do a big family party. I said she wants to do a big party (which is pretty normal in the Chicago burbs). I said no way --- I grew up in Wisconsin and we didn't have graduation until high school. I felt that one was more deserving. She isn't too happy with me, but I told her to go ahead with her party, just don't expect us to do anything. I think this whole graduation, dance, etc has gotten way out of hand. There isn't anything left to look forward to!

No 8th grade graduation here and that is fine with me ! The difference between 8th and 9th is you will be in a different school, with different classes and more opportunities for your journey. It is not the end, you are only part way there.........

In our Fifth grade you have a week long of fun at school with planned activities, including a fun parent/child dance - our year was a beach theme. Kids loved it. Our local school eliminated the awards assembly and they are handed out in individual classrooms with parents in attendance.

In our Eighth grade you have a winter dance and the kids get very dressed up - they love it. At the end of the year they have a big picnic - and they love it ! They do get, as does every middle school grade, an Awards Day, one morning during school they have an assembly and some parents go if their child is getting a special award. It is not fussed over.

I think it has all gotten out of hand. All of this is a progression to the goal of high school graduation with your friends and celebrate all of your accomplishments in your 13 years together before you all pursue your individual dreams. High school is the end of a process and deserves the special ceremony !

In our school district - each elementary school has a "5th-grade night" which was a really fun event for the kids. No caps and gowns. Just nice attire. It is a great opportunity for all the teachers to wish the kids well as they move on to middle school.

The middle school is a combination of 4 elementary schools - so the 5th grade night was a great end of one journey, and a beginning point for the next.

DD is only in 7th grade, but I understand that 8th grade brings its own special family night too, along with an 8th grade dance. But it is not a "formal" graduation ceremony. (personally I am thrilled that DD wants to get a special dress for the dance, because one of my nephews is getting married next spring too, so the dress will serve a dual purpose!).

With the exception of the dance, the 5th and 8th grade nights do not need to cost anything, or just cost minimally if anything. Our 5th grade night had 3 sheet cakes along with punch. That would have been the only expense.

While I know 8th grade graduations are a regional thing, we will not be doing a family party or anything special like that. Besides, DD will be getting confirmed in early may (maybe a 3rd use for the dress) and we will have a party for that.

Well I feel much better now! Basically thats my feeling...seems like we are always running to get to something and in the last 20 years around here instead of waiting they have just made it come earlier.

The districts position is that they want the kids to look forward to the HS graduation. I think thats true...but knowing what I do from the district the initial idea would have came from money- the lack of it and also the time included to plan the event (the combine both Middle Schools for one large ceremony...I bet the cap and gowns-which the parents pay to rent- came from the fact that the schools are pretty imbalanced and I'm sure the clothes worn from the North in school were much nicer than alot of our South end schools students). 20 years ago my husband and I went to this same school. 8th graders had an evening promotion ceremony...like a honors assembly would be. Everyone wore what they wanted (yes...a bunch of the girls wore like semi-formals...we thought we were soooo cool!- even funnier is the picture of the Don Johnson looking outfit- all white with pink shirt-that my husband wore!hehe) my family went to dinner afterward and that was it.

Like I told the newspaper...in a district with the financial problems that ours have they should be looking for ways to cut back. If the graduation has to be part of that...so be it. It doesn't matter whether or not they have a ceremony....our family will celebrate my DD's accomplishment..and each other family can do as they see fit. Our daughter is heavily involved in school clubs, has pulled straight A's - in every subject- every quarter- every year- played for the orchestra, and elite orchestra, invited to join 7/8 Jazz band in 6th grade (which she did- 1st time they have had a piano player on the band in over 12 years!), and last concert actually ran over and played percussion (that she stayed after school to learn) with the band, she has of course always been high honors, 3 years of volleyball (won an allstar award for our school the 1st year- Captain last year-not sure about this year yet), 3 years softball (Captain this year). We have a huge amount of things to celebrate about! And maybe most importantly she is well liked by most everyone-friends to so many different types of kids- she just enjoys people and school which I think gives her a bright future! A cap and gown won't add to that at all!

Stepping off my bragging stage now!

No Caps & Gowns but some girls seem to go all out, as if it is the prom. Prom type dress, hair down etc. Seems silly. My youngest is in 8th grade and when I asked her a few weeks ago about a "dress" for graduation, she said she didn't want one and that she was going to where whatever she went to school in that day.

I have a Girl Scout troop (but no kids of my own) and my girls are always talking about 3rd grade graduation or 4th grade graduation, etc., etc. The schools around here do a "graduation ceremony" for each grade which is essentially an assembly where they receive certificates of completion for that grade. 8th Grade Graduation is an actual ceremony with caps and gowns.

Personally, I think this is ridiculous! Am I wrong for thinking that it should be expected that kids will move up from year to year? Why does not failing need to be recognized in a ceremony? I was in school not all that long ago and we didn't have a "graduation" for every grade. You got your report card at the end of the year and you started the next grade in the fall. And don't give me the business about kids today have it so much harder and deserving to be "recognized" for their accomplishments. In elementary and middle school, I was a straight A student, participated in band, took gifted/talented classes that required tons more homework than other kids and was mostly in honors classes. I didn't get a graduation ceremony.

This just reminds me of the whole trend now of not singling out exceptional students for accolades so that those that don't achieve don't feel bad. Like every team earning a trophy instead of the just the winning team, and making all classrooms integrated with learning levels which holds back the smarter children and makes those with difficulties frustrated. People want to make life more fair and happy for kids. Well, life isn't fair so why not help children to understand that early on so they won't be shocked as adults. I just don't get it. :confused: :confused3

DD12 will be graduating from 8th grade in June.
She's in a large school (over 1000 kids) & they do not wear caps/gowns.

I'm glad. I think that caps & gowns should be reserved for high-school grad.

I'm in my 30s and we had Cap and Gown graduations for kindergarten, 8th grade, and high school. We probably didn't need the kindergarten one:rolleyes: , but I surely didn't feel that my graduation experience in HS was "cheapened" by my 8th grade one.:confused3 It was a different stage in my life.

I completely agree.

I'm in my 30s and we had Cap and Gown graduations for kindergarten, 8th grade, and high school. We probably didn't need the kindergarten one:rolleyes: , but I surely didn't feel that my graduation experience in HS was "cheapened" by my 8th grade one.:confused3

I had cap/gown graduation in Kindergarten, 4th Grade (this is when we went to JH), and 12th grade. Eighth grade we had graduation, but it was sunday dress, not cap/gown (may have been because I changed schools). I never thought it "cheapened" my HS graduation either. Each marked a stepping stone of progress.

I used to be in charge of graduation at my old high school, and it used to run about $1500 each year -- not a break-the-bank amount, but certainly not a freebie either.

At the school I teach at we have pre-k, k, 8th and 12th grade cap/gown graudations. I've been in charge of one of our 12th grade graduations and will be again this year. I'm not sure what all your school spends money on, but we've not spent more than $500 on ours and that comes out of money the class has raised. We also share the greenery, columns, etc that are set up for each of the 4 graduations.

For K (I'm not sure about Pre-k and 8, but my daughter graduated from K last year), the school owns the caps and gowns, but you can buy your child's tassell for $5 if you want. As a parent, I was/am thrilled with the idea of K & 8graudation. I was very proud of my DD last year and think its great to acknowledge our kids accomplishments. I think students are more inclined to do better if they know that not only their parents, but their school and community are proud of them. My daughter was thrilled to be recognized for All A's and perfect attendance and I was proud for her.

We also have an awards day for each campus in the spring for the other grades (non graduating) where they recognize honor roll, perfect attendance, extracurricular achievements, etc. Again, for us I think this is just a way to support our students.

12th graders are required to buy their caps/gowns/tassels for $25.

just my .02

DNephew's school is a PreK-8 with about 150 students. Their 8th graders get a cap & gown graduation because they are moving on to one of 5 or so different high schools (family choice) and this is the last time they will be together as a class. 8th graduation marks the end that part of their life.

I teach 8th grade. We have an 8th grade "program". The kids call it graduation, but we do not because they are not graduating from school yet. They do not wear cap and gowns. We use to have it at night, and it got to be way too much. Girls would come in with "prom" dresses on. Made those who could not affort it feel awful. Now we have the program at 9:00 in the morning. The parents are told at the beginning of school when the program will be so that they can make arrangements. The attire is "church" clothes--no shorts or t-shirts. Girls usually wear cute summery dresses and the boys wear nice pants/nice blue jeans and a collared shirt. The cost is nothing to the school; the kids pay a $5.00 eight grade fee to pay for decorations and pizza on the practice day. This works well for us, but we are a K-8 school and usually have 75-90 eighth graders.

We have thought about not doing a program, but for some kids, this is the only "graduation" they will ever have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter