Graduation for 8th graders??

Taylors6

Mouseketeer
Do they have cap and gown ceremonies where you are at?

Just wondering because I got a call from one of our local papers asking for my thoughts about our district wanting to discontinue them this year (I have a 8th grader and have spent years on the PTA Boards). Our district is in some heavy financial problems...cutting teachers...can't afford full time nurses...so I think they should make cut backs...way bigger than graduation...but my thought is does the cap and gown really matter- why not just a ceremony? Seems like things just get bigger and bigger every year they go. The interviewed my daughter....her thought- WHAT! I've been waiting for that!

Wondering what they do everywhere else.

Yes we get cap and gowns in our school district for 8th graders. They are bought by the parents though.

Our district has a ceremony but no cap and gowns! More like an awards assembly only in the evening with student speakers and a community speaker.The students get certificates.

Yes we get cap and gowns in our school district for 8th graders. They are bought by the parents though.
I think having a cap and gown ceremony for 8th grade somewhat "cheapens" the real graduation later.

Even if the caps and gowns are purchased by the parents, there are other costs involved with the ceremony: flowers for the stage, security, set-up of the stage/electronics, programs, and a few other things. I used to be in charge of graduation at my old high school, and it used to run about $1500 each year -- not a break-the-bank amount, but certainly not a freebie either.

Agree with Mrs. Pete.

We didn't have any such ceremonies until the "real" one. Then again I didn't come from a community where it was thought to be a big deal to get beyond the 8th grade. It was expected that everyone would go to high school. Maybe that makes a difference?

I think it is a terrible idea that has run amuck.
I just read that a local school is having PRE-K graduation - with caps & gowns no less! It was just an announcement. I talked to a few other parents and they think I am from another planet because I think it's absurd. :confused3
I would seriously consider not allowing my child to attend at a pre-k age, but can see it a bit more for 8th grade. I don't know anymore.

No, we don't, and I agree totally with MrsPete that it cheapens the real graduation. I'm not a fan of eighth grade graduations, elementary school graduations or preschool graduations, for that matter.

I'm in my 30s and we had Cap and Gown graduations for kindergarten, 8th grade, and high school. We probably didn't need the kindergarten one:rolleyes: , but I surely didn't feel that my graduation experience in HS was "cheapened" by my 8th grade one.:confused3 It was a different stage in my life. To each his own. Iremember I was crushed because my principal decided that year to not have graduation rings for the 8th grade so we can look forward to it in HS.

well, when I was growing up, we graduated from 6th grade since it was the end of elementary school (no caps and gowns though) but it was a fun party and an awards assembly. we then went to jr. high and yes, graduated from 8th grade (again, a party and awards assembly) dd graduated from kindergarten with a cap/gown (this was at the daycare center though). I see no reason not to mark the movement from elementary school/jr high/hs. kids work their butts off to get through them while doing all kinds of other things as well like after school sports, etc. It's something they look forward too. Let them have their ceremonies. I don't think it "cheapens" anything.

I think the whole "graduation" thing is outta hand. Little kids graduate from pre-k, k, and then middle school and then 8th grade? People should "graduate" from high school and college only, IMO. Awards ceremonies and food parties are good and fun, but "graduating" these kids all the time is pointless. JUst another reason for parents to think how great their kids are-puhlease!

We just have a moving up ceremony, very low key and nice.

XYSRUS wrote:
think the whole "graduation" thing is outta hand. Little kids graduate from pre-k, k, and then middle school and then 8th grade? People should "graduate" from high school and college only, IMO. Awards ceremonies and food parties are good and fun, but "graduating" these kids all the time is pointless. JUst another reason for parents to think how great their kids are-puhlease!

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!! We don't have any graduations here until 12th grade......THANK GOODNESS!!!!!!!

We had 8th grade graduation. No cap and gown, just best dress. I found it really sad the number of my classmates that didn't graduate from high school. My class decreased 20% during our senior year. I don't get it.

I went to a Catholic school K-8th grade and we had a graduation Mass. The girls wore white dresses & the boys wore suits. We had breakfast in the parish hall afterwards where the awards were handed out and each class sang a song. Caps & gowns would have been going too far IMO. I also don't see the need for yearbooks before highschool. IMO HS and college graduations merit the cap and gown & cerimony. ITA that having one every time they leave a school level lessens the importance of those.

We have had graduations from pre-k (w/paper caps, no gowns), kindergarten (nice clothes), and 5th grade (party w/casual clothes).

I don't know what 8th grade graduation is yet but I do know there is a BIG 8th grade dance. Parents rent limos and everything! Talk about cheapening something - what is left to be special for prom?

I also went to catholic grade school. K-8th grade. We had a special breakfast and then wore caps and gowns to mass. I don't feel like that cheepened by HS graduation at all. I think it made my graduation from 8th grade more meaningful.

Yes, our district does the whole cap and gown thing for 8th grade graduation.

DD#1 made the long walk the length of the muddy football field while we sat in the stands and froze! We never did figure out which one she was. :rotfl:

Note to planning committee: yes, there are occasionally cold, rainy days in May, even in the desert. A backup plan would have been a good thing.

DD#2 just happened to be on a Disney Cruise with her rebel family on graduation day. She had to think about whether it was worth it to miss graduation for a cruise for oh, I'd say... maybe half a second. ;)

really why is it "cheapening" hs or college graduation? these are all at different stages of your life, what's wrong with marking the event? As someone else said, these kids are working a lot harder than we did when we went to school, classes are much more advanced, recess is out now... what's wrong with rewarding them? A lot of times, these kids are going to move on to schools that their friends aren't going to be going to due to boundaries, etc. let them celebrate.

My DD will graduate from 8th grade this June.
8th grade only has the gowns; no caps.
The 8th Grade Grad ceremony is at 3 pm and High School ceremony at 6 pm.
So the flowers and set-up only get done once.
We do have a semi-formal the week before graduation. I know in the past they've had issues with kids showing up in limos, so now it's banned.
Ironically DH is a limo driver - can't drive DD though!:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter