• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grad Night & Disney Ruin Magic Kingdom Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
One point this does bring up, that many of us have read again and again are guests who are booking and THEN read the Dis find out (fill in the blank group) will also be at WDW during their vacation. We have heard it all from Pop Warner to the parks closing early due to a hard ticket event (such as Grad Nite).
As much that goes on at WDW it is bound to happen to someone during a planned vacation.
Right or wrong this points out that various factors may make a big difference on vacations -- anywhere. (Multitudes of busses of school kids descended on Universal/IoA yesterday. Who in the heck would have wanted to be there in the midst of all that?)

So lesson learned for guests is to do some research ahead of booking and be sure to ask at booking of special groups or potential events. It may not take care of all issues, but guests will be better informed.

I have driven on the side road during Grad Nites -- but not this year.
Bands can be heard on the road that passes right along Space Mountain. But that is RIGHT next to Tomorrowland. And I suppose on a night with heavy cloud cover, that would make a difference.
I can tell nights when cloud cover is heavy from the volume of fireworks I hear at our home. Last night the fireworks even stirred up my dogs. Other nights we may not notice fireworks.

ChapelHillian said:
Yes, when I had something to contribute, then I joined and shared. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I provided information as questions were asked.
Here's the Irony as I see it...

From Chapelhillian's own post. "I provided information as questions were asked."

That's what Disney does, they'll provide you the info IF you request it.

If you didn't ask, they're not going to tell. No harm, No foul.

With the exception of a few who have pointed it out,

What's so difficult about realizing that booming music until 4:00 am at a family entertainment venue is not a good practice?

Ten minutes of fireworks at midnight - no big deal and it's probably a positive for most. But hours of (what's described as) teenage music playing all hours of the night is very poor decision.

I don't care if Disney disclosed Grad night or not, you should at least be able to assume at a place like Disney (excluding Pleasure Island) that you're not at a wannabe rock concert.

Turn the freaking music down, is that so hard?

UrsulasMyHero said:
That's what Disney does, they'll provide you the info IF you request it. If you didn't ask, they're not going to tell. No harm, No foul.

Not true at all.

Disney provides an almost overload of information throughout your stay, but particularly at check-in. I've got more pamphlets and informational sheets during my stays than I know what to do with.

Ladyhawke10 said:
Such is life.
Or, C'est La Vie! :goodvibes How True...S--T HAPPENS...we make the best of it. For some, unfortunately, the glass ALWAYS seems "half-empty" (no matter how many times it's been refilled!). :confused3

Miss Inga Depointe said:
So there's nothing Disney can do about Disney ?? :confused3 How about not planning things in ways that inconveniences other guests (who have paid hundreds of dollars for a room)?

Yea, what's up with this 50th Celebration thing? I fear that this is going to attract a large number of people to WDW in May and inconvenience me by causing me and my family to have to wait in line to ride the rides - rides that we are paying hundreds of dollars to have access to!!!

/couldn't resist

UrsulasMyHero said:
Here's the Irony as I see it...

From Chapelhillian's own post. "I provided information as questions were asked."

That's what Disney does, they'll provide you the info IF you request it.

If you didn't ask, they're not going to tell. No harm, No foul.
I LOVE that one (No Harm/No Foul)! Isn't that similar to that military rule..."Don't ASK, Don't TELL?" :confused3 I'm sure it's the same standard policy implemented with EVERY type of RESORT/HOTEL in the industry. We have reserved suites in some wonderful resorts, like the concierge level of the Peabody last summer for our first two eves in Orlando. The place was PACKED, with a major convention underway! The concierge associate whom personally helped me with my ressie NEVER offered this information. I believe they have an unwritten rule of sorts, because if they informed EVERYONE calling for accommodation of EVERY convention, etc.--it WOULD affect their bottom dollar. Also, many conventions actually back-out/cancel at the last moment, therefore...it's senseless to inform all prospective visitors, unless a guest specifically requests such information. ;)

corndog said:
Yea, what's up with this 50th Celebration thing? I fear that this is going to attract a large number of people to WDW in May and inconvenience me by causing me and my family to have to wait in line to ride the rides - rides that we are paying hundreds of dollars to have access to!!!

/couldn't resist
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :goodvibes :cheer2: :smooth: :p :wave2:

I know guys like the op, my darling ex DH was one. Always something to complain about and no one could make it right no matter what was offered. The other side of Space Mt. was better. I don't like the sauce on the steak. It's too far to walk. It's too crowded. Never anything good to say. I'm not wearing rose colored glasses, but when you are bound and determined to be MISERABLE than you will get your wish. :confused3

disneylizzy said:
I know guys like the op, my darling ex DH was one. Always something to complain about and no one could make it right no matter what was offered. The other side of Space Mt. was better. I don't like the sauce on the steak. It's too far to walk. It's too crowded. Never anything good to say. I'm not wearing rose colored glasses, but when you are bound and determined to be MISERABLE than you will get your wish. :confused3

I don't know where you get all that from a man who's upset that his family was kept awake all night long on their vacation.

Since when has it been unreasonable for people to expect to get some sleep at night?? :sad2:

BrianMonk said:
With the exception of a few who have pointed it out,

What's so difficult about realizing that booming music until 4:00 am at a family entertainment venue is not a good practice?

Ten minutes of fireworks at midnight - no big deal and it's probably a positive for most. But hours of (what's described as) teenage music playing all hours of the night is very poor decision.

I don't care if Disney disclosed Grad night or not, you should at least be able to assume at a place like Disney (excluding Pleasure Island) that you're not at a wannabe rock concert.

Turn the freaking music down, is that so hard?

Exactly. Thank you.

LSUDis said:
Okay, after reading all of this....c'mon guys--- 4 a.m.! Yes, I know that other people pay to have a good time at Grad Night, but 4 a.m.???

I don't think that a person (even on vacation) is unreasonable to expect some quiet or some sleep from 1 a.m. through 4 a.m., at the very least.

Why should a person have to move to have quiet from say, 1 or 2 a.m. until 6 a.m.? If you rent a resort with beds in it (what other kind is there?), isn't having those hours available for sleep a reasonable expectation (without having to research if sleep will be possible during those times) UNLESS you are told otherwise in advance?

For goodness sake, on some days, a park would open only 3 hours from the last hour of Grad Night.

Let them have fun, don't impose your sleep needs on others, but be reasonable--4 a.m.??

Exactly. Thank you.

HockeyChick said:
For cheese sake, people. He's not asking that they inform guests of every single event that might be noisy. I don't think there is anything unreasonable about expecting Disney to mention Grad nights. They are planned well in advance.

I saw what he's asking for in his letter....I actually read the whole thread unlike some people who have come in to bash him and can't get their facts straight....but isn't a common tactic in situations like this to ask for more than you ever expect to get? Maybe he would be happy with a simple letter of apology with a reassurance that they will try to do better at alerting their guests to events that they know are large, loud and planned well in advance. Even if he's not, is it really cool to rip people up like this around here? :confused3

Man, maybe I don't like this board so much after all. Can't believe how mean-spirited some of you are being towards someone with a complaint. Maybe you could take your bashing and discussion of what he's allegedly posted elsewhere to private messaging? This is ridiculous, IMO. :sad2:

I agree with all of your points. Thank you.

I remember 3 years ago, we were at FW for our family vacation. My kids were older and we did the other parks during the week and were going to the MK the last 2 nights we were there. Well, we truthfully did not know it was Grad Night and were dissappointed we couldn't go at night. I was upset and emailed Disney. They called a few days later and said they felt bad but there was nothing they could do. I told them it would be wise to let people know when this event is so planning could be more of an option. I also had no idea it could be so noisey. It wasn't any problem at FW though. Well, this year I planned again and we had to go during Grad night and I was prepared so it was no problem for us. We just did the MK when we could. We stayed at the Poly this time and I heard the fireworks at midnight, we were in Tokelau. We didn't hear any band. You can't tell me though that they don't know a year in advance when they intend to have it. Even when I planned 6 months out I asked when Grad night was and they said they didn't know. Lucky I found this board and you all seemed to know !!!! But I would have changed my room if it was a problem like the OP said. Also I think this is a good subject if there is a hotel that is extra noisey during this time. I appreciate it when given someones experience will help me decide what time I will go or where I will stay.

DebbieB said:
I totally agree. I think 4:00am is ridiculous for loud music. Would you put up with that in your neighborhood? I think Disney is really inconsiderate to their hotel guests to allow this to go on until 4:00am. Midnight should be the cutoff for the loud music, even that's pushing it. Turn it down after that. When doing trip planning, you would not expect this from the Magic Kingdom and Grad Night is not even on their list of events because it's not a public event.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wd...ing/index?id=CalendarSpecialEventsListingPage

If you were staying at SSR, you would know your resort is across the lake from Pleasure Island and might take loud music into consideration. But at the Contemporary?

The purpose of Grad Night is not just to celebrate the graduation of the high school students but to provide a safe, alcohol free venue for that celebration. A party that ends at midnight would be an opportunity for those kids to leave and continue the party elsewhere, in a less structured setting. By 4 A.M, one can assume that all had a good time and they are too tired to take the party elsewhere. A little noise is a small sacrifice IMO

You know, Dawn has a point.
Another point I have found in last 10 pages is, If OP actually did all the research he claimed to have, and at this point I am not sure he did. He said he had read CR was the best place to view the fireworks from non-scary distance, and then he said he had researched and talked to friends about where to stay with the children, thus the CR gave them the food in the room and naps and the monorail. If during all that research he didn't bother to look at WDW special events, or allearsnet. or these boards and he decided not to move the next morning, then I have to agree with the PPPPPP chain of thought.
I went to the Sports and researched if I had to put up with any groups, I went to special events to see what might be going on before I booked. Took all of 5 mins to see that Star Wars weekends are going on, the flower show and there weren't any special sports things going on. That was research, really not sure what he did as research.

I read the entire thread and some of his posts on other boards.

--He didn't ask to move after the first loud night.
--He claims he didn't see or didn't get the note that other guests have said was placed under their doors. In other forums he mentioned the note and in his letter to Disney he asks for a copy of it. The only question is if the CM forgot his room or did someone, possibly in his family, discard it as junk.
--By inference he stated he wasn't asking for any compensation but just posting to warn others, yet he's asking for 2 nights free and already turned down a 25% discount. He thanked the posters who, incorrectly, stated Peter wasn't asking Disney for anything.
--He complained about an extra fireworks showing at midnight. The noise from that isn't any more than from a thunderstorm. Sounds like his family are light sleepers and big complainers.
--He said you could hear the music even wearing earplugs.
--He is the only poster who said the noise was so bad they couldn't sleep. The Contemporary is pretty soundproof.
--He posted that other guests had also signed his letter but he later retracted that claim.

TAKE A LOOK AT HIS WEBSITE. Peter likes to complain.

IF HE HAD ONLY STAYED ONE night I'd give his posts some credibility but come on. After one bad night he didn't ask to be moved. I don't know exactly how grad night was announced but others got notices. I'm sure the stages were still set up.

HockeyChick said:
For cheese sake, people. He's not asking that they inform guests of every single event that might be noisy. I don't think there is anything unreasonable about expecting Disney to mention Grad nights. They are planned well in advance.

I saw what he's asking for in his letter....I actually read the whole thread unlike some people who have come in to bash him and can't get their facts straight....but isn't a common tactic in situations like this to ask for more than you ever expect to get? Maybe he would be happy with a simple letter of apology with a reassurance that they will try to do better at alerting their guests to events that they know are large, loud and planned well in advance. Even if he's not, is it really cool to rip people up like this around here? :confused3

Man, maybe I don't like this board so much after all. Can't believe how mean-spirited some of you are being towards someone with a complaint. Maybe you could take your bashing and discussion of what he's allegedly posted elsewhere to private messaging? This is ridiculous, IMO. :sad2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter