Grüetzi, Grüetzi! That's Amoré!: A 2015 Italy/Switzerland Trip Report - Complete!

Hotel Zermatterhof Dinner

Once we cleaned up and changed our clothes, it was time to meet the group for dinner. Dinner that night was held in the restaurant at the Grand Hotel Zermatterhof where we were staying. This was also the kids’ night.

We ate in the same restaurant, but different areas. No one but our group was in their that night. The adults were seated in the area in the back with the picture windows. After finishing their meals, the kids went to watch a movie.

Sitting down we were greeted by these awesome menus. Yes, I totally still have mine. Look at that awesome picture of Uncle Walt?! Proof he really did spend time in Zermatt.

We must have all gotten the same thing here for dinner, because i only have pictures of one entree.

The restaurant was serving a white wine and this Pinot Noir. My dad really liked this one. I believe it was from Switzerland, or perhaps France?

We all started with this salad. It doesn’t look like much, but this salad was delicious! The flavors went well together and the cheese and apricot added a nice texture. Also, always nice to get a few greens while on vacation. The other options were a meat salad and a soup. I'd be interested in seeing what the meat salad was like, but no one at our table ordered it. Also, it was way too hot for soup!

I got the lamb with vegetables and potatoes. I definitely know it was my entree because I am a big fan of lamb. From what I remember, this was tasty and a good portion.

To finish, we got some passion fruit mousse with chocolate ice cream. It was a yummy and light end to the dinner. We found this meal to be nice and relaxing.

It was a chance for everyone to enjoy one anothers’ company without any other entertainment. Plus, by this point in the trip, we had a chance to get to know one another pretty well and you’ve moved on from general small talk.

A pic I snapped of the wine cellar in the middle of the restaurant.

After dinner we walked around a bit and then enjoyed the evening in our hotel room. It had been a long day!

There were only 2 chairs on the balcony, so we improvised...

When we arrived in the hotel room upon checking in the day before, each family had a horse and carriage. Turns out there was chocolate in that there carriage!

I'm not sure who took this pic, but they were clearly trying to be "artsy".

We had to dig the chocolate out before we left the next morning, as it wasn't going to survive in anyone's bag in it's original state.

After enjoying the balcony, we headed to bed. Next morning we were off to Lucerne!

Last edited:
Furka Pass

Friday morning we woke up to one last breakfast in Zermatt. We were headed to Lucerne that day! We met in the lobby of the hotel and walked to the train station. I didn't have anywhere else to put this, but there is a McDonald's in Zermatt. It's one of the two most expensive McDonald's in the world. We didn't eat here, just a fun fact for ya.

We took the train back from Zermatt to meet our bus. Had some time to use the facilities before boarding the bus. This one was equipped with wi-fi as well. I didn’t use the wi-fi much, but when I did use it, I found it worked very well. We’re definitely making progress in transport connectivity!

Our trip that morning was scheduled to take us from Zermatt to the Furka Base Tunnel, which would take us, on the bus, on a train through the tunnel under the Furka Pass. The Furka Pass is one of the highest paved roads in Europe. If you have seen James Bond’s Goldfinger (I haven’t, blasphemy, I know), the Furka Pass was used as a location in that film.

To start our journey, our guides gave us some information about Christmas in Europe. Christmas is still quite traditional and religious in Europe, in contrast to much of the mass commercialization seen here in the US. St. Nicholas Day, on December 6, is the day where kids put their shoes outside the door and wake up to oranges, chocolates, and other small gifts. It's the traditional gift day in Europe. In Germany and Switzerland, Christmas is celebrated on December 24th, while December 25th and 26th are natioal holidays. The Christmas tree goes up on the 24th and stays up from December 24th - January 6th, when the Wise Men made it to Bethlehem. Also, the German pickle thing? You know, if you've ever been to the German Pavilion in Epcot where "tradition" states Germans put a pickle ornament somewhere on the tree and then whoever finds it gets a small gift? Yeah, that's definitely made up. Steph said that they were confused when she worked in the German pavilion, but she and her other cast members figured maybe somewhere in Germany did it, but alas, they've asked around for years and never found anyone.

After our tradition lesson, we watched Fantasia. Well, actually we watched the scenes of Fantasia Stephanie liked and decided we should watch...semantics. Most adventurers were doing their own thing, anyhow.

Kathy and I also got our hair did!

It took us around two hours to reach the Furka Pass station where our bus was to be put on the train and we were going to tunnel through. We had some time to use the facilities and stretch our legs. Also, they put out the snack box, because ABD refuses to let you go hungry!

You know the phrase “the best laid plans”? Weeeeelll, going through the pass via tunnel didn’t end up happening. Real life decided to intervene. Or, in this case we blame the luggage guy in Zermatt who quipped ‘why are you tunneling through the pass; it’s a beautiful day. The views will be amazing’. Turned out the bus was about 3 inches too tall. We would be going over the pass after all.

Stephanie and Jessica were not amused. We soon learned why.

The views on our journey over the Furka pass were, indeed, beautiful. They were also, pardon my language, scary as ****! I don’t normally get nervous or apprehensive in a car or on a bus, but there were definitely some tense moments during this drive. More than once I held on thinking ‘I’m pretty sure the driver needs to slow down here’.

Yeah, those aren't just rocks all the way up, that's most definitely the road.

At some point, I think pretty much everyone in the bus was in some level of freak out. Even Stephanie and Jessica moved more towards the back of the bus so they didn't have to watch! On a motorcycle or in a little sports car this drive would be absolutely amazing. In a bus? Not so much.

We did stop at the top and got a few pictures (those of us brave enough to get off the bus anyway).

Happily, we DID make it over the pass and were back on semi-flat ground without 1,000 switchbacks.

I also need to give a shout-out to Stephanie here, because in addition to finding out we would be going over the Furka Pass, rather than on the train like usual, this is where she realized that she accidentally left her backpack on the wrong bus. There were two identical buses when she was playing Tinkerbell in the morning and she put her backpack on one, only to find out we were in the other bus and forgot to switch it. I have no idea how the woman stayed as outwardly calm as she did about the situation. I've lost things before and, in my case, I get really hot and nervous and freak-out trying to figure out what to do or where it might be. Really, though, props to her for keeping a level head, continuing to guide like a champ, all while trying to figure out both WHERE her backpack might be, what all was in it, and if there was a way she could get it back anytime soon. I mean, I've been in similar situations before and once you get over the initial shock and acceptance that it is what it is, there is no other course of action other than continuing on and figuring out how to take care of it. But, either way, digs in pocket, pulls out props and kudos and throws them in the air to Steph in that situation. Also, it has a happy ending!

I'm not sure who took this pic, but they were clearly trying to be "artsy".

That would be me! I was trying for a cool picture, but clearly failed haha!

We had to dig the chocolate out before we left the next morning, as it wasn't going to survive in anyone's bag in it's original state.

:rotfl2: This may also have been a "mmmm that was good chocolate, is there more hidden inside!!?" situation. May have been a bit alcohol induced excitement :rotfl:

IMG_2100_zps14tvg3ew.jpg

Yeah I believe those poles were supposed to keep you from going over IF something terrible happened...for some reason I don't think those would do a whole heck of a lot

All I have to say about those roads is: :scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1:

I can't imagine a Guide without her backpack!! That would definitely be a :eek: :faint: moment for me, too!

Sayhello

At 4:00 we met Steph for the hike to Edelweiss, which is a small hotel, hiking stop, and teahouse in Zermatt. There were about 12 of us in all, so it was a nice size group, though not everyone made it to the top. This was not a planned activity for the ABD, but rather Steph liking to be active, wanting to spend her free afternoon hiking, and offering us to come along. It's an easy trail to follow, though not an easy hike, so you could do it during your free time if you go on the trip and your guide doesn't mention it. We were told it was about a 45 minute hike up to Edelweiss and found this to be pretty much spot on. I would call the hike mid-to-strenuous. It is certainly not for the faint of heart or for those who are not currently active. But, the trail is well marked and it’s mostly uphill, but no scrambling or anything like that. The hike/tea house can even be found on TripAdvisor under Edelweiss if you want to search it out beforehand.

Definitely an impressive hike and great pics! Out of curiousity, it looks like you climbed a 1000' or so from the center which is probably 5-6000' ....that's a good 1-HR climb up and a great workout if you're used to sea level altitudes!

That road looks terrifying!!

It was equal parts terrifying and beautiful. Going up wasn't too bad, but we were near the front and coming back down had a few frightening moments.

All I have to say about those roads is: :scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1:

I can't imagine a Guide without her backpack!! That would definitely be a :eek: :faint: moment for me, too!

Sayhello

I know! I felt so bad for her. She kept it together so well, but you could still tell there were 100 thoughts going through her mind, including, omg, what am going to do?!? She made it work, though. A consummate professional, for sure.

Definitely an impressive hike and great pics! Out of curiousity, it looks like you climbed a 1000' or so from the center which is probably 5-6000' ....that's a good 1-HR climb up and a great workout if you're used to sea level altitudes!

Thank you! It was definitely a great workout. Honestly, I noticed the altitude most when we were at the Gornergrat, versus here, but the thin air was definitely felt. It was nice to be able to grab some hydration at the top, because we needed it! I think they had some sports drinks for sale up top, and we brought along water. In true guide form, Steph even brought along some snacks. We didn't go up too fast; I thought the pace was good. Some of the adventurers were beasts at the hike and made it seem like nothing!

Lunch in Andermatt

As we were driving into Andermatt, Jessica got very excited to tell us about her cows, which live on the mountain and one side has longer legs than the other to help them balance better.

For the next 10 minutes, our bus ride went something like this:
Jessica - “Let’s do cow jokes!” ... Steph - “No. No one cares”...
Jessica - "Where do cows go for entertainment"... a few adventurers murmur, "I don't know",
Steph throws over shoulder - "No one cares"
Jessica - “What do you call a cow with no legs?” … Steph - “NO ONE CARES!”
Kathy and I found this so hilarious that nearly a year later we still randomly text each feigning an important question, then asking a cow joke, with the other responding "NO ONE CARES" (again, actual 10-year-olds)

We arrived in Andermatt for our lunch. We ate at the Gasthaus zum Sternan. It’s a pretty traditionally themed restaurant with a variety of choices.

After our harrowing journey nearly everyone of European drinking age took advantage of a thumbs up and had a beer or wine.

We made it!

We started with a basic and tasty green salad.

I believe this is a sort of Swiss version of meatloaf.

The other option we tried was a spaghetti and what look like pork or veal cutlets. Apparently, I didn’t take notes on our meal thoughts, so you just get the pics. That’s what really matters anyway, right?

We finished with an apple strudel that I do know was delicious. It had a nice vanilla sauce on top.

After lunch, we had the opportunity to go visit Jessica’s cows.

We went up to stretch our legs and enjoy the sunshine.

Andermatt serves as a sort of center to Switzerland, marking a crossroads between both the North and South as well as the East and West. There are some ski areas, which is what drives the visitors, along with a train station.

Do they still have those roving bands of "cow tipping youths" roaming the mountain fields?......LOL

Biking Riding on Lake Lucerne

Back on the bus, we were about 35 minutes from our next destination: bike riding.

During the ride we got a couple of stories from the guides: one about the devil’s bridge and another about William Tell.

Pic credit to Roland Zumbühl (Picswiss), Arlesheim, http://www.picswiss.ch/geo.html

The first story is actually quite a popular one in Europe and similar legends attached to a number of old bridges in a few different countries. This version relates to the bridge in Schollenen Gorge, which opens up passage to the St. Gotthard Pass. It is an important access route connecting Italy to southern Switzerland and on to Lucerne and Zurich. Interestingly enough, the Gottahard Pass is home to 3 of the world’s longest tunnels (each were the longest when completed. The most recently completed tunnel, the Gotthard Base tunnel, is currently the world’s longest and deepest traffic tunnel). Anyway, back to our story of the Devil’s Bridge. The Schollenen Gorge has many sheer granite walls, which required a bridge for safe passage. The legend tells that the bridge was constructed by the Devil. In exchange for building the bridge, the Devil requested to receive the first thing that crossed upon completion. The people of Uri, the canton to which the bridge belongs, tricked the Devil and sent over a dog by throwing a piece of bread to encourage his crossing. Upon realizing he had been tricked, the Devil went to fetch rock, planning to destroy the bridge. However, along the way, he came upon a holy man who forced him to drop the rock. This rock can still be seen today and is known as the Devil’s stone.

The second story was that of William Tell. Many people have heard of William Tell and most would recognize the William Tell overture, but he is a folk hero in Switzerland. Tell was known as an expert with the crossbow and a mountain climber. During his time, the emperors of Austria seeked to dominate the canton of Uri, and Tell became one of the resistors to Austrian rule. Gessler, an Austrian leader put in charge of the Swiss area they hoped to conquer, came to the area, raised a pole, hung his hat on it, and demanded the people bow before the hat. When Tell and his son were in the area, he refused to bow before the hat. Upon learning of Tell’s defiance, he called upon both Tell and his son to be executed. However, he had heard about Tell’s famed marksmanship and tacked a caveat onto the punishment, allowing Tell to redeem his life should he successfully shoot an apple off his son’s head. Tell successfully split the apple. Gessler spoke to Tell after, enquiring about why he took 2 bows in anticipation of the shot. Tell confessed that should he have killed his son, the second bow was meant for Gessler. Enraged, Gessler ordered Tell imprisoned rather than release him. While on the way to the prison, a fierce storm broke out on Lake Lucerne and Gessler was persuaded to remove Tell’s shackles so he could assist. Tell was promptly able to flee and went cross-country. When Gessler arrived, Tell was able to intercept his arrival by shooting him with a crossbow. The assassination of Gessler by William Tell prompted the rebellion, in which he also fought, and thus cemented Tell as a hero and leading figure in the formation of the modern Switzerland Confederation.

Then, came the very fun game of...BUS OLYMPICS! This was silly and fun and a good way to pass the time. Essentially, it allowed us to play some games to pass the time and allowed for our guides to continue being ridiculous. Mary and Kathy approved.

We arrived at Lake Lucerne for our bike ride. This is 100% a joke, but it was so hot in Switzerland, when we got on the bikes we all chided our guides that the brochure lied about the bike ride! When you pull it up on the ABD site and in the book, the pictures all show people in long pants and scarves and such. Yeah, we wouldn’t be needing those!

We all got an overview of the safety tips, did a quick circle and then were on our way. Before we left, Stephanie and Jessica had told us that people were very friendly in the area and it's common courtesy to greet them as you pass. The greeting we should be using is "Gruetzi" (which, phonetically is pronounced grits-ee). However, I did notice a number of groups chuckling to one another as an entire group of 35 people exclaimed "Gruetzi!" as they passed. Didn't stop us, but made both me and those I passed smile a bit.

It is definitely a leisurely bike ride and the scenery is beautiful. We joked that they really should have picked somewhere nicer for the ride since Lake Lucerne is so ugly. About halfway through we stopped for some pictures and then made our way back to the start.
The bike riding was not intense at all, but the path wasn’t paved, so you should be aware of that if you don’t ride bikes often or you have kids who haven’t experienced that before. If you have the chance, go on some bike rides prior to this trip to get yourself ready. Like with a couple other posts, I'm going to do a second post below of just pics for your enjoyment.​

Do they still have those roving bands of "cow tipping youths" roaming the mountain fields?......LOL

Ha! I'm sure they do. I also have a feeling some of our JA's either would be or are in those roving bands! Good thing the cows have those shorter legs to combat the tipping :rotfl2:

It looks like a beautiful ride. Sure looks like it beats that Germany bike ride we did a few years ago. Wonderful pictures, thank you.

It looks like a beautiful ride. Sure looks like it beats that Germany bike ride we did a few years ago. Wonderful pictures, thank you.

I've never been on the Germany ABD, but I've read a few reports. This bike ride is easy and relaxing (read: no hills!), and offers a unique way to enjoy the beauty of the lake. They also don't use the bike riding as a pretense to get somewhere else; it's a self-contained activity!

It doesn't matter, it can't come when you call it.:rotfl2: total 'sick' 10 year old at heart.

OMG, this reply literally made me laugh out loud for a good 2 minutes! I'm even chuckling now :rotfl:

...also, in case anyone is wondering, the actual punchline to "What do you call a cow with no legs?" is "Ground Beef"

OMG, this reply literally made me laugh out loud for a good 2 minutes! I'm even chuckling now :rotfl:

...also, in case anyone is wondering, the actual punchline to "What do you call a cow with no legs?" is "Ground Beef"

Whew! I was reluctant to post this for fear that no one else would get my sense of humor.

Ground Beef is a good answer too.

Was there an alternative activity to the bike riding? Not sure at all that I want to attempt a bike after 40 years. Yes, I know that once you learn you never forget....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter