GPS Attachment for Nikon DSLR

Discussion in 'Photography Board' started by OKW Lover, Mar 22, 2013.

1. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

I've been using a Promote GPS unit to geotag my pictures as I take them (currently using a D5100) but lately it doesn't seem to be working very well. Took a bunch of pictures around Epcot at Flower & Garden and hardly any of the pictures got tagged. Not sure what's wrong but perhaps its time for a new unit.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. wbeem

wbeem DIS Veteran

I use a Nikon GP-1. It draws power from the camera, so that could be an issue if you typically run short on battery life. I have a battery grip on my cameras, so it's never been an issue for me.

The initial lock is a tad slower than other GPS units, but re-lock is much faster. I've been very happy with mine. It's simple, it works well.

I've heard good things about di-GPS, too.

4. jockey

jockey <font color=deeppink>Repeat after me....I LOVE CRO

5. cjstarr

cjstarr DIS Veteran

Has anyone found a way to use Geotagging with the Sony "a" SLR's using a Android Cell phone?
    This is something I would be interested in myself.
    popcorn::

6. BirdsOfPreyDave

BirdsOfPreyDave Disney Lover, DVC Member, SSR Fanatic DIS Lifetime Sponsor

I have a GPS logger, rather than a unit that actually connects to the camera to embed the coordinates right in the photo as it's shot. (There wasn't an option for a directly-connected GPS when I had the Canon EOS 60D.) Lightroom matches the time and coordinates from the GPS log with the time stamp on the photo and automatically adds the coordinates.

I use the GStarz BT-Q1000XT and have been very happy with it. It's about the size of an old-style cigarette lighter. It fits perfectly in a Joey pouch on my Black Rapid camera strap, so it's always with the camera.

[​IMG]

Every once in a while, I'll notice a position that's a little off, but for the most part, it does a really good job.

I thought about doing this with my android phone, but I figured it would run my phone battery down too fast.