GPS Attachment for Nikon DSLR

OKW Lover

Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle.
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
I've been using a Promote GPS unit to geotag my pictures as I take them (currently using a D5100) but lately it doesn't seem to be working very well. Took a bunch of pictures around Epcot at Flower & Garden and hardly any of the pictures got tagged. Not sure what's wrong but perhaps its time for a new unit.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

I use a Nikon GP-1. It draws power from the camera, so that could be an issue if you typically run short on battery life. I have a battery grip on my cameras, so it's never been an issue for me.

The initial lock is a tad slower than other GPS units, but re-lock is much faster. I've been very happy with mine. It's simple, it works well.

I've heard good things about di-GPS, too.

Has anyone found a way to use Geotagging with the Sony "a" SLR's using a Android Cell phone?
This is something I would be interested in myself.
popcorn::

I have a GPS logger, rather than a unit that actually connects to the camera to embed the coordinates right in the photo as it's shot. (There wasn't an option for a directly-connected GPS when I had the Canon EOS 60D.) Lightroom matches the time and coordinates from the GPS log with the time stamp on the photo and automatically adds the coordinates.

I use the GStarz BT-Q1000XT and have been very happy with it. It's about the size of an old-style cigarette lighter. It fits perfectly in a Joey pouch on my Black Rapid camera strap, so it's always with the camera.

31lf1W0JNTL.jpg

Every once in a while, I'll notice a position that's a little off, but for the most part, it does a really good job.

I thought about doing this with my android phone, but I figured it would run my phone battery down too fast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter