Government Employee Discounts

AKGMom

Earning My Ears
Hi,

Such great advice on all of the forums. You guys are great.

Question 1: Do only federal employees get the government rate? Can state employees get it, too?

Question 2: Do only teachers get the teacher rate or can school support employees get the discount rate? For example, teacher aides, school nurses, custodians and the like.

Thanks for any answers!

Val

It's on a case by case basis for each hotel. Hwoever usually state employees within only the state are given that rate.

The only Gov. discount I know of is at the Swan/Dolphin and it is for state,fed,and local gov. employees. I am a state worker and used it last May.

Only teachers at the (S/D at least) but they have a nurse discount also.

see S/D thread at

bobminter, Do you remember the discount percentage?
I work for the Comm. of MA.

Thanks!

The Swan/Dolphin government/teacher/nurse rate is currently $129.00/night for a standard room with a standard view. The rate is the same for all three. If you work in a public school system, you are an employee of either the county/city or state in which you live. Therefore, you would qualify for the government rate even if you don't actually teach. Be sure to take your government employee ID to have at check-in. I was told when I made the reservation that I would have to pay $295.00 if I didn't have proof of government employeement. However, it was not asked for at the check-in desk. I had it anyway because I didn't want to risk not getting the discount.

There is one exception to this rate. There was a misprint in an add for the teacher rate quoting $99.00 per night. Starwood is honoring this rate untill 12/22/01. After that, teachers pay the $129.00 per night.

We used the government rate at the Dolphin in April during Spring Break and really enjoyed the hotel and especially the boat service to MGM and Epcot.

Hi! I am hearing different things about this. Some say a public school employee, even if not a teacher, is eligible for the teacher (or maybe it's the government) discount. I've read on these boards that non-teachers have received one of these discounts. But when I called the Dolphin this morning (1-800-227-1500), the man I spoke with said that a public school employee (who's not a teacher) is not eligible for either the teacher or the government discount. I am completely confused now. I hope you are right that I do qualiify! I work for the Superintendent of Schools for a public school district. My health benefits are under the state health benefits plan. The taxpayers pay my salary! But I work for the Board of Education. Thanks for shedding some light on this!

I am a public school teacher in the state of Arkansas. I have used the government rate at several hotel chains: Choice Hotels (Quality/Sleep/Clarion/Comfort Inns) and Holiday Inns offer this rate. I always specify that I am a teacher so there is no confusion. Other chains (Hampton Inn/Marriott/Doubletree) offer a government rate only to federal employees. Just ask -- it never hurts! By the way, I'm sure if a discount is offered to teachers, it probably is good for all school employees. All I've ever carried for proof is my insurance card and my check stub. This is our first year to have photo IDs.

WDWrules,

Call the Swan/Dolphin reservations directly at: 1-888-828-8850 and ask for the government employee rate. You can verify that, as a School Board employee you qualify as a local government employee.

In Georgia, teachers are considered contract State employees and board employees are considered county, or in some instances city, employees even though their base salary is paid by the State, thus they have State insurance and benefits, with a supplement paid by the county/city.

My wife is a teacher and has the same insurance and benefits that I, a State employee, have. The only difference is that she will have Teacher Retirement and I will have State Retirement. Her retirement will be a little better than the regular state retirement that I fall under because of the county's additional contribution.

An employee of a public school that is NOT a teacher qualifies for the govt. rate. Call 800 227-1500 to ask about this. If you have no luck, ask to speak to a Team Leader.

Another nice benefit of the government rate if you can get it is that it is fully refundable in many cases. So even though the gov't rate on an airline might be cheaper than the lowest fare, you can change your plans without penalty!

Just make sure that you check the special rates that are available. I work for the USPS and was going to use the gov. rate at the Dolphin, but they were having some other special that was cheaper. So it's worth a call to the Dolphin to check.

For Starwood properties the rule is if you have a Government employee ID you qualify for the government rate. If you have a faculty ID you qualify for the teacher discount. The Front desk doesn't care exactly what your position is they just need to see ID showing you qualify for the discount.

I would keep an eye on their website. Often times the "special" of the week is cheaper than published government rates.

A mod should close this (I will send a note) just because it could be very confusing to someone opening it.

That was exactly what happened to me, I was just reading it and happened to nitice that someone posted something about 01, thinking it was just a typo, I looked at the date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter