Gotta disagree about the MK Barbershop substituting for BBB

Chrissie-riel

proud member of Mickey Moms Club!
My children always "earn" Disney Dollars to use as their own spending money in the months leading up to the trips that we take to WDW. We heard about the Pixie Dust and hair color that you can have done at the Barbershop on Mainstreet and thought it could be a great option/substiute for the BBB. (She didn't really want to spend $50 and over an hour of her touring time.) On our trip last September, this could not have been a worse option for us!

Granted - part of the reason that the Barbershop did not go well was that my MIL and FIL were on this trip with us and they will not wake up "early" for ANYTHING. Including getting to the parks....we finally made it through the turnstiles at around 10:45am and took my DD straight to the Barbershop.

There are two very nice ladies working the two chairs in the Barbershop and no one working the door and cash register. They don't even have a "take a number" thingy like you find at the deli or at the post office. So, you walk up and have no idea how many people are in front of you, there is no real line, just people milling everywhere. Most of the people there are getting little junior his first haircut - and they should rightly have all the magic afforded them for having this done. But when junior's Daddy then has to get his hair cut too to share in the experience, it is a bit much. We ended up waiting over an hour and a half to have this done!!!! Believe me I tried to get DD to give it up and go, but this was her one and only thing that she wanted to spend her money on.

Worst of all.....there was some random lone guy sitting in the corner with a scowl on his face. He steps up and declares that he is next and gets into a barber chair. It takes the woman over 1/2 of an hour to cut his hair. He kept fussing with it and having her re-do this or that section. :eek: All this while there were little girls and guys squirming and waiting to have their hair Pixie Dusted!! And to end it all....after taking all this time, he stands up and puts on a ball cap over his newly cut hair!!! Why didn't he just go to Great Clips in a local strip mall? Why did he have to do this in Walt Disney World?

On future trips, we'll be bucking up for the BBB or bringing our own hair spray and glitter from Halloween and doing it ourselves - no way will we ever get near the barbershop again.

WOW my neices were in and out in a half hour and loved it. I thought it was a great alternative. I guess each experience is different. Sorry yours was so bad.

Sorry you had such a bad experience :confused3 I took DS11 there a couple of weeks ago after reading a trip report about Grandpa Mohawk getting his summer (purple) mohawk at the barber shop. DS and I went over there around 3:30ish on a Monday afternoon, 2 people were getting their hair cut and DS was next. We had a wonderful experience there, Penny & Michael were both fantastic to talk to. When Michael finished with DS's hair he looked like this:
DisneyJune08day1006-1-1.jpg

It's already mostly grown out, but he had a blast for the next few days going around the parks with his blue hair :cool1: I was thrilled with the service we got and still can't believe it only cost $14 :banana:

Hi There,

I was the one that called in about the Main Street Barbershop and I'm sorry you had such a bad time! Our daughter is going on 11 now, and there is just no way she'd go in the BBB. She loved seeing all the girls done up, but it just wasnt something she was comfortable doing!

We went in March, and waiting only 10 min or so to get in. While we were waitng the barbershop quartet came by, and serenaded my husband and son with Happy Birthday songs - then one of the men proceeded to tell my son Pirate jokes - he was wearing a POTC hat. My son still remembers the jokes today and loves telling them to everyone he meets.

I wish I knew the man's name from the quartet, because I'd sure be writing a thank you to Disney!

I cant wait to look for him on our August trip to Disney, and I'm sure we'll be swinging by the barbershop again for some magic!

Oh, you poor things, I am so sorry about that ridiculously time-consuming experience, ugh!

We have now gone to the MK Barbershop twice, and both times we were just about the only folks in there. We must have been really lucky!

I think we went around lunchtime, maybe even 2-ish. I'll make sure we don't go there in the am next time around either.

I hope, if you try it again, it is much less crowded. No one should wait an hour and a half for a haircut, at WDW or anywhere! :scared1:

We had great luck with the Barbershop. We went right at opening and we had the whole place to ourselves. Both ladies doted on DD and she loved the hairstyle. :thumbsup2 I strongly feel it's one of WDW's best deals!
100_2888-1.jpg

I think, as with most things at WDW, planning is important. Get there early and it really improves the experience. :thumbsup2

:)
Even big guys need to have fun (9/2006 trip).
100_0110.jpg

We had 3 great experiences there and they both involved getting to the park at opening and in line by 8:45, so we had little or no wait. Sorry to hear about your experience!

I'm so sorry that you had such a bad experience at the Barbershop! My wife and I (both kids cleverly disguised as adults) have had our hair cut and pixie dusted several times at the barbershop and it's always been a great experience. We have gone early in the morning and later in the evening and have had to wait 15-20 minutes max. There are only three chairs and it is a small shop, so there is a line during crowded or peak times. The price is certainly reasonable though!

I feel your pain. We took my nephew (4) to the Barbershop for a haircut on his birthday. We had to wait almost two hours. There were several people in front of us with only one person cutting hair, taking money, ie working the shop. You are right...it is nearly impossible to find out how long of a wait you are in for and crowded because the shop is small.

Our little guy liked the pixie dust and the haircut. It would have likely been a better experience had we arrived earlier, but we had his birthday breakfast at CP so we didn't get to the shop until after 10:00 am.

My DD6 had her first haricut a couple of years ago at the main street barbershop and thought it was great. We did not have to wait at all - I can't remember what time of day we went. I've also seen the barbershop packed, though, and can see why that might not be a pleasant experience.

Dd and I are traveling to WDW for her 7th birthday in a few weeks and plan on trying to hit the Harmony Barber Shop at least twice during our short trip (for both of us!).

Dd and I have talked about it and we will scope out how long the wait is and if it is too long...we will just come back at another time.

We are both looking forward to some Pixie Dust! pixiedust:

Thanks everyone for your kind words; it definitely turned into a go with the flow kind of day at that point. Good luck to everyone who plans on going. I really wouldn't have had a problem with it had there been some idea on what the length of the line REALLY was. To those of you who are going to give it a try and scope out the area before committing - keep in mind that we did the same thing. We walked in and saw 4 little youngsters with what looked like their parents anxiously waiting and figured that it would be OK, just a 15 or 20 minute wait. We didn't know that there were apparently various brothers and sisters waiting outside along with 5 or 6 adults who also were waiting elsewhere while their spouses held their spot. :dance3: Since they don't have a receptionist/cash register operator, I really think that a "take a number" system would definitely be helpful in this location!

Since they don't have a receptionist/cash register operator, I really think that a "take a number" system would definitely be helpful in this location!

Amen!

We had a situation just like yours last fall. DD wanted to get a trim and the Pixie Dust experience, so we got to the barber shop right before the 3 o'clock parade was to start (we had heard it was a good time to go from several DISers). There were 2 people getting their hair cut, and one little girl with her parents waiting. We figured we'd be served within 15-20 mins. Well, the stylist finishes with one boy, and magically, another one from the same family pokes his head in the shop and takes the chair. Meanwhile, the other chair empties. The little girl gets up, but before she can get to the seat, yet another kid from the large family darts in from outside and plops down. Then I see the father poke his head in and loudly exclaim, "We have 4 more to go, then me, so don't give the chairs to anyone else".

At that point (after wasting about 40 mins), I told a disappointed DD the barbershop was too busy, and we left. If I had known going in how many people were in front of us in the queue, we wouldn't have wasted all that time waiting. There were 2 stylists in the shop- neither one said anything to us, told us there would be a long wait, nothing. Seemed a little un-Disney in my book. A "take a number" system would be nice (or a check in desk, so a CM could tell you the approx wait time).

I have found that the best time to visit is while waiting for the 3 o'clock parade.
Find your spot on Main Street, and leave someone to hold your place.
Rarely do I have more than a 1 or 2 person wait. It's a truly unique MK experience.
Oh, and tell Michael the people with hair in Chicago say hello!

It's been hit or miss for us as well...we try to make it into the barber shop during every trip, but if the line is too long after a couple of tries we just give up on it and hope for someting better the next time around.

I would agree that BBB might be a better experience if it is something your child has their heart set on...however you do pay for what you get!

My children always "earn" Disney Dollars to use as their own spending money in the months leading up to the trips that we take to WDW. We heard about the Pixie Dust and hair color that you can have done at the Barbershop on Mainstreet and thought it could be a great option/substiute for the BBB. (She didn't really want to spend $50 and over an hour of her touring time.) On our trip last September, this could not have been a worse option for us!

Granted - part of the reason that the Barbershop did not go well was that my MIL and FIL were on this trip with us and they will not wake up "early" for ANYTHING. Including getting to the parks....we finally made it through the turnstiles at around 10:45am and took my DD straight to the Barbershop.

There are two very nice ladies working the two chairs in the Barbershop and no one working the door and cash register. They don't even have a "take a number" thingy like you find at the deli or at the post office. So, you walk up and have no idea how many people are in front of you, there is no real line, just people milling everywhere. Most of the people there are getting little junior his first haircut - and they should rightly have all the magic afforded them for having this done. But when junior's Daddy then has to get his hair cut too to share in the experience, it is a bit much. We ended up waiting over an hour and a half to have this done!!!! Believe me I tried to get DD to give it up and go, but this was her one and only thing that she wanted to spend her money on.

Worst of all.....there was some random lone guy sitting in the corner with a scowl on his face. He steps up and declares that he is next and gets into a barber chair. It takes the woman over 1/2 of an hour to cut his hair. He kept fussing with it and having her re-do this or that section. :eek: All this while there were little girls and guys squirming and waiting to have their hair Pixie Dusted!! And to end it all....after taking all this time, he stands up and puts on a ball cap over his newly cut hair!!! Why didn't he just go to Great Clips in a local strip mall? Why did he have to do this in Walt Disney World?

On future trips, we'll be bucking up for the BBB or bringing our own hair spray and glitter from Halloween and doing it ourselves - no way will we ever get near the barbershop again.

Sounds like you came in ticked at the lack of cooperation from your inlaws. A chaotic line process would also be frustrating. I am bothered by how you act about the adults getting their har cut, though. Disney is for everyone, not just kids. As far as that is concerned, the first hair cut would be more special to the dad than it would be to "little junior". "Little junior" will probably never even remember the "experience".

Sounds like you came in ticked at the lack of cooperation from your inlaws. A chaotic line process would also be frustrating. I am bothered by how you act about the adults getting their har cut, though. Disney is for everyone, not just kids. As far as that is concerned, the first hair cut would be more special to the dad than it would be to "little junior". "Little junior" will probably never even remember the "experience".

I tend to agree with you about the adults. When we go in August, I would love to go and do that with my DS. And I know that he will get an even bigger kick out of it if dad does it too (and maybe even mom, if she's brave). It really becomes a total family experience. I know the lines are frustrating, but they are not the fault of those standing in line. The problem lies completely on Disney for not seeing the problem here and doing something to address it. It's another one of those situations that they talk about on the podcst from time to time that would be so easy to fix. Put in a take a number machine and a "Now Serving" sign like the DMV. I get a number and have an inkling of what I am in for. In fact, if Disney is feeling a little strapped for cash :rotfl2:, maybe we can pool our money to buy them one.

I don't want to go off topic ....... but I do agree that adults sometimes get overlooked. I was never taken to Disney as a child, even DLRP, so I'm kind of making up for things now I'm paying my own way ;)

I can't believe the usually efficient Disney have let themselves down, a ticket machine is not exactly cutting edge technology and when doing Disney you need to plan how long things may take. It would be a shame to have to book a spot as you seem to have to do that for almost everything these days:confused3

I hope they sort it out as I'm all set on going in Dec (seems a better deal than BBB) :lovestruc

I honestly have no problem with adults doing kid things - look at my siggie - only got one day at the MK in my entire childhood, every other Disney exprerience has been as an adult. And I have no plans to grow up - EVER!! :rotfl: However, I do have issues with grownups coming to the MK alone and using the Barbershop there as their local Great Clips store?!? It was just plain weird! And especially when it is 95 degrees out and there are small children having meltdown temper tantrums kicking and screaming on the floor because they have run out of energy and patience at the parks. (Not my DD, by the way - some of the other ones;) )

Oh, and I'll send in my $5 to buy Disney a number sign - anybody want to volunteer to head up the committee? Kronkman?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter