• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gotta convince my wife!!! I just gotta!!!

If a surprise is out, then I would go for the compromise .... surely, there's a compromise there somewhere. Then it's a win-win for both of you!

A balance between home improvements and a trip (or 2) == everyone wins!

As a wife who expects equal say in my marriage about how our money is spent, I agree. A surprise is a dozen roses...it's not a multi thousand dollar trip that you booked with money that belongs to both of you...especially when you know your wife has other ideas about how she wants to spend it.
IS what she wants to do important for your household, future, childs education, etc?

You mean you've never surprised your husband with a Lexus with bow on top during the holidays like those TV commercials? :rolleyes1

In all seriousness, I couldn't get away with it as a surprise. My wife is not as nuts about Disney as I am, so I would be in a similar situation if I had the money. What I would do is try to convince her initially with a bargain deal and start cheap first - get my foot in the door - then once I'm in, slowly up the ante with a couple of nice ADRs here, and....... ooops how did that value to deluxe upgrade sneak in there? :woohoo:

Are you handy? I suggest that you start on her "it" project and when she comes home and finds you covered in basement reno dust, you offer the compromise. Chances are good she won't be able to resist. Maybe it's because she feels you deserve it for being such a good husband or maybe it would be connected to guilt. Either way, you both get what you want, and she'll have a good time on the trip, too.
And don't worry about using a little guilt. It's worked for me for years. And I learned it from my mom! ;)

whistle- 2 trips? now we are talking!

Daveinfallschurch- Yes, if wifey doesn't have a dream resort- start small, or do a split stay- pop resort for first half, Poly for the second half......

As a wife who expects equal say in my marriage about how our money is spent, I agree. A surprise is a dozen roses...it's not a multi thousand dollar trip that you booked with money that belongs to both of you...especially when you know your wife has other ideas about how she wants to spend it.
IS what she wants to do important for your household, future, childs education, etc?

Not really..kids are through college..2 of 3 girls are married off..so our major family expenses are in a downturn..

Are you handy? I suggest that you start on her "it" project and when she comes home and finds you covered in basement reno dust, you offer the compromise. Chances are good she won't be able to resist. Maybe it's because she feels you deserve it for being such a good husband or maybe it would be connected to guilt. Either way, you both get what you want, and she'll have a good time on the trip, too.
And don't worry about using a little guilt. It's worked for me for years. And I learned it from my mom! ;)

She knows I'm a good husband and yes I am handy..I just need to gather all my high trump cards and play the best hand I can...cooking..painting..romance..and I think I can manage to throw a little bit of guilt in there too. ;)

whistle- 2 trips? now we are talking!

Daveinfallschurch- Yes, if wifey doesn't have a dream resort- start small, or do a split stay- pop resort for first half, Poly for the second half......

I thought of that exact split stay...we've never stayed at the Poly. We both really love to walk the grounds after our Ohana breakfast. :yay:

A cake- you must include a cake some how- and wine! There should be wine when you ask her about the trip!

When is your anniversary? her birthday? your birthday?

So to summarize- you need to start the reno (LOL- we have no clue what she wants to do with the money instead) yourself, and she comes home from work- sees you in the basement, and she knows you are up to something- then you walk her into the kitchen and say we need to talk about something-, but first lets eat. Surprise her with the fancy meal, candles, wine, cake, etc. Then the speech about how you both work so hard, and deserve to spend some magical quality alone time with her at the Grand Floridan.

This is great! You need to film it lol

OR pull out the old disney albums- talk about what great fun you had in the past and how you cant wait to go back there!

This is a great idea. She'll see you mean business about helping her get some things done around the house, you know that she loves WDW...should be pretty simple really. Let her find you covered in sheet rock dust (nothing sexier than your DH fixing up your house....), then do the Disney propsal as suggested by DisneyFirsttimer.....then let her know about the compromise you think would work. One thing...give yourself some negotiating room..start with a little more of what you're willing to settle for and offer her a little less....
She'll ask for more and ask you to scale back, when you do she'll feel like she won...and you'll know it's what you had in mind in the first place.

LOVE The compromise idea. But I will say I totally think a trip to DW is a VERY good idea!!! I'm afraid I'm going to have to join a DW vacation addict group soon. My hubby says thats all I can talk about lately!! lol!! :rotfl2:

Compromise is always good. Home Improvements are good. I may have missed what home improvements, but unless your home is in bad condition, you should be able to use part of the money for improvements and part on a trip to Disney. You don't want to miss out on making memories with loved ones, they are priceless.

Definitely compromise. You don't have to spend thousands of dollars on the trip. My husband (almost 51) and me (just turned 49) have been enjoying Disney Worlds sans the kid for well over ten years. It's so refreshing for it to be just the two of you. Since you are in your 50s, it would be very easy to just stay at Pop Century at one of the decades. We've stayed in all of them except the 90s and loved each one. You can do one big night out and if food is really important to you, do lunches during the day because you really wouldn't need to run from ride to ride to ride with kids. You could sleep in as late as you want, have nightcaps once you are back from the parks.

If you don't want to do a value, try the French Quarter. Then you'd have a hot tub too. And a hot tub that's away from the main swimming area - we loved it.

Trust me, Walt Disney World after your kids are grown and gone is one of the best things for a marriage. Makes you young and if you keep going (like we do), keeps you young.

If you don't want to do a value, try the French Quarter. Then you'd have a hot tub too. And a hot tub that's away from the main swimming area - we loved it.

Trust me, Walt Disney World after your kids are grown and gone is one of the best things for a marriage. Makes you young and if you keep going (like we do), keeps you young.

My thoughts exactly! You beat me to the French Quarter and hot tub suggestions. In our case, we went a lot BEFORE the kids came along, so we're the same age as some of you empty-nesters but we're taking our teen and tween now. When we were just two of us, we loved that resort and loved that hot tub. Romance is definitely in the air (oh yeah, and an ice cold Blackened Voodoo!)

I also would suggest being explicit about the budget when you romance her into it! Price out the trip, and then you two can agree on what you will spend the extra money, over room and tix, on. You can do one nice meal, and share a few CS over the trip. That's romantic too!

This may be way off base but have you considered buying Disney's "best kept secret?" Would she be more interested in going if she considered it an investment not just for you guys but for the grown kids and grandkids on down the road?? Maybe that's a long shot...maybe just a different angle... Hey, if you owned a piece of the world, you'd always have a great excuse to go...and you would always own it...AND, you could also take her to other places with Disney Vacation Club points. Hey, it's a thought... Once you stay in a villa, you won't ever want to stay anywhere else. Then again, once you go to Disney World, as you well know, it doesn't matter where you stay, it's BEing there that matters. BEing part of the magic. I love that place so very much. I hope to always be able to go. I hope to someday be able to take others with me for their 1st visits.

Update!!

OK...we have come to an agreement..:cool1:

DW gets a new front door, the downstairs and kitchen painted :confused3

Our grandkids get a new swingset ( that part was quickly agreed on):grouphug:

And we get our trip..:yay:

6 nights at Pop..November 13th..dining plan..7 day hoppers..with a sweet Pin code deal..:worship:Sounds like a win..win..win to me!!!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter