Got off the Magic today

ktc42spike

Earning My Ears
So sad to be home! We had a fantastic time... but also had an eventful cruise. Not sure how much has been discussed here already, but on Sunday (2/6) we were delayed by about one hour getting to Key West as we came upon 5 Cubans on a manmade raft. One was waving a white towel of some sort. The boat stopped and a US Coast Guard helicopter was overhead waiting for a Coast Guard boat to arrive, which eventually did. Then we made another stop in Key West in route to Castaway Cay on Thursday night due a medical emergency. We were in Palo that night and our server remarked that he only recalled doing something like that 4 times in his 12 years onboard. As a result, we were delayed about 2 hours getting to Castaway. The delays were bummers, but both stops were obviously important.

So sad to be home! We had a fantastic time... but also had an eventful cruise. Not sure how much has been discussed here already, but on Sunday (2/6) we were delayed by about one hour getting to Key West as we came upon 5 Cubans on a manmade raft. One was waving a white towel of some sort. The boat stopped and a US Coast Guard helicopter was overhead waiting for a Coast Guard boat to arrive, which eventually did. Then we made another stop in Key West in route to Castaway Cay on Thursday night due a medical emergency. We were in Palo that night and our server remarked that he only recalled doing something like that 4 times in his 12 years onboard. As a result, we were delayed about 2 hours getting to Castaway. The delays were bummers, but both stops were obviously important.

Wow, real Cuban boat people. :woohoo: That's kind of cool! :cool1: You'll remember that forever.

Cheers!

Max

:banana:

On our first Magic cruise we were on an Eastern. During dinner I thought we slowed down and later found out that we turned around and went back towards port to take off a medical emergency. Since we were having two sea days, most of the time was made up but we were still a little late getting into St. Martin.

Stuff happens. Just be glad the stuff isn't happening to you ;)

Hey.. that sounds familiar. Oh! I just got off the Magic today too :) Glad to hear someone else post about that eventful day. Was crazy! Were you on Deck 9/10 when it was all going down?? I was talking to a helpful couple with serious zoom on their point and shoot, we discussed how we thought it was a boat and then getting closer realizing it was a raft with a blue tarp!

Great cruise!~:banana:

Yes, it was a great cruise! We got so lucky with the weather.

As for the stranded crew, we were in the middle of our character breakfast in Parrot Cay and noticed some other diners looking out the windows, which caused us all to take notice. I got a few pictures, but didn't really get a good look at them until I uploaded them tonight and zoomed in. I was in the theater on Friday night for the show when Darren announced that indeed the five people were from Cuba and were returned to Cuba and that the US does not take any measures to prosecute, etc. Maybe you heard this announcement too. He also made mention that one was ill and that it was good we showed up when we did. Crazy, no doubt.

Oh my the pictures... I started taking them when the raft was just a spec, even on zoom. Took photos of the aircraft too, with our Magic as the foreground. The last shots showed the actual rescue, the refugees being lifted off the raft. I had brief video when the final person was lifted out and all of deck 9/10 starting cheering. Darren was nice to bring it up during the farewell show, since it was such a big deal.

So the big question is... did you book again?!:thumbsup2

We did. This was our second cruise, and certainly not our last.

We did book again! We sail away 2/11/12 on the Magic for her Eastern Itinerary. Thought living here and seeing the Mouse all the time we wouldn't love the cruise... I fear I may love it more than WDW :3dglasses:

We were on deck 10 taking pictures too!

You are so right, it was definitely an eventful cruise. We have had lots of stories to tell since we have gotten home.

I will try to share a picture . I am uploading to photobucket right now (but 200 pictures takes a long time!:rotfl2:).

We did not book on board, but we will definitely do this again next year. We are thoroughly hooked (this was our second cruise).

Waking up to piles of snow this morning was now fun (and having to make my own breakfast was even more depressing!;))

I didn't notice anything about the diversion for the rescue, but some astute poster here did notice on a navigation site that the Magic was NOT heading toward Castaway Cay, where it was scheduled to be going.

Was your server in Palo Alvin by any chance ( he has been around for 12 years ish I know)....if he is he is the best and one of our favorite servers on the Magic.

We have had him for two 7 nights in the main dining room and 3-4 times in Palo :)

I didn't notice anything about the diversion for the rescue, but some astute poster here did notice on a navigation site that the Magic was NOT heading toward Castaway Cay, where it was scheduled to be going.

Yes,

That was the night we had the medical emergency. An gentleman fell down and broke a couple of bones. Both him, his wife, and all their luggage were moved into a small US Coast Guard boat.

Was your server in Palo Alvin by any chance ( he has been around for 12 years ish I know)....if he is he is the best and one of our favorite servers on the Magic.

We have had him for two 7 nights in the main dining room and 3-4 times in Palo :)

No, our server was Mo. He was great! Wishing I was there now!

If you have any pictures of the Cubans, please share them! Most of us probably know people who like to talk about what an awful place the United States is, and having some pictures that show what desperate people go through to enjoy what the complainers take for granted have been very effective at stopping those conversations in my past.

This is the best one I have. I took it from the window of Parrot Cay and zoomed in as far as I could. Others may have better shots from the top decks.

169.jpg

Wow, that picture is amazing! It does make you grateful to live in a country where people would travel in that kind of vessel to get here. Thanks for the pic. That makes for a memorable trip I suppose!

Becca- you took the words right out of my mouth.:sad2: That 'raft' look no bigger than a mattress! So glad they were saved. So humbled by their plight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter