Got my SPH!

DCL is on to us, folks!! I booked a 9B for the Magic in 2012, but later looked to see if a SPH was available (didn't even look at the price), and 5020 WAS available. Called DCL to change the booking, and the agent said "are you sure? There's only a $10 savings".

So, for an extra $10, I have an unobstructed view now. Crazy.

Actually, I think it depends on the cruise, and what category is selling faster. Plus, as someone else has pointed out, the more fair comparison should be to a Cat 9A as the 10A SPH is on Deck 5, and Cat 9B is only Deck 2 only. For our cruise, the difference from the 10A to 9B is $700, and then another $500 to go to a 9A. So depending on the cruise, there can still be a huge savings.

of all the obstructed views 5020 is the least obstructed, however all of them are technically charged as inside cabins but you get a view. It is always worth checking the price difference though.

We personally LOVE the deck 5 location best of all and as there were no SPH left for the sailing we wanted next August we have gone for 5010 which is an Ocean view on that deck. Last cruise we did back to back and had 5010 for the first 8 nights then switched to 6571 on the second cruise and boy was it hard to leave our favourite location and go to a cat 11 on deck 6. Of course we were on the ship and so anywhere would be OK, but to us deck 5 is home!

Mel
x

All these reviews of room 5020 is making me SUPER excited! Too bad my cruise is not for another 16 months! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Actually, I think it depends on the cruise, and what category is selling faster. Plus, as someone else has pointed out, the more fair comparison should be to a Cat 9A as the 10A SPH is on Deck 5, and Cat 9B is only Deck 2 only. For our cruise, the difference from the 10A to 9B is $700, and then another $500 to go to a 9A. So depending on the cruise, there can still be a huge savings.

I would rather have an unobstructed view on the second deck than an obstructed view on the 5th. Less motion, and no obstruction. It all depends what your priorities are. We've had SPH rooms and wouldn't hesitate to book them again, but not if I can get an unobstructed view cheaper the same price. Two of the SPH rooms (5024 and 5524 I believe) have very obstructed views.

aloha,
We have stayed in almost all the secret portholes an love them all.
We got the sph connecting rooms 5522/5524
for our Alaska cruise 7/12/11 with my DM and DMIL.
I would rather have the sph that cat 9 on deck 2 because of the convenient of the room to the theaters and quiet atmosphere because of less rooms means less foot trafic. An when you use the fwd lifts you get off the 5th floor you are right there near your room. It's very quiet because not to many people are walking around the hallways because it is a deadend at the end of the hallway.
There is not much heavy traffic above your room like deck 2.

aloha,
hawaiian mickey

So are you saying you liked deck 5, SPH over the deck 2 Cat12?

Yep! We were below the dishwasher. (2604) And while the unobstructed view window and HUGE savings (paid $3,500 for 7 night NYE, saved $4,100 based on room assignment)of a cat 12 upgraded to a 9 was great, the hall noise and dishwasher noise made the quiet of deck 5, even with the slight obstruction a better fit for us (5520).

That said, I would book a cat. 12 for the discount any day of the week and take my chances (even with an inside room) and bring along ear plugs. ;)

aloha,
We have stayed in almost all the secret portholes an love them all.
We got the sph connecting rooms 5522/5524
for our Alaska cruise 7/12/11 with my DM and DMIL.
I would rather have the sph that cat 9 on deck 2 because of the convenient of the room to the theaters and quiet atmosphere because of less rooms means less foot trafic. An when you use the fwd lifts you get off the 5th floor you are right there near your room. It's very quiet because not to many people are walking around the hallways because it is a deadend at the end of the hallway.
There is not much heavy traffic above your room like deck 2.

aloha,
hawaiian mickey

Agreed 100% :thumbsup2

DCL is on to us, folks!! I booked a 9B for the Magic in 2012, but later looked to see if a SPH was available (didn't even look at the price), and 5020 WAS available. Called DCL to change the booking, and the agent said "are you sure? There's only a $10 savings".

So, for an extra $10, I have an unobstructed view now. Crazy.

wow, I just checked for my cruise and the difference for an unobstructed view is minimal (about $50), but I'm keeping the SPH after looking at room locations and reading some of the feedback here. I'm just excited to have a cabin with some natural light in it. I wasn't going to spend all that much time in the cabin sitting and enjoying the view from the porthole.

Knowing that the price difference isn't that big though does make the SPH seem less special now.

I would rather have an unobstructed view on the second deck than an obstructed view on the 5th. Less motion, and no obstruction. It all depends what your priorities are. We've had SPH rooms and wouldn't hesitate to book them again, but not if I can get an unobstructed view cheaper the same price. Two of the SPH rooms (5024 and 5524 I believe) have very obstructed views.
Certainly everyone has different priorities. I am simply saying that for a more fair comparison, the SPH really should be compared to a 9A. DCL obviously sees added value in the higher deck as a 9A is priced higher than a 9B with the only difference being the location.

I am also booked in connecting SPH for Alaska in 2012. Does anyone have any recent pictures for 5022/5024?

Personally, I like any room on Deck 5 over Deck 2. The location is wonderful! It's a short hallway of rooms, very quiet but convenient to the WD Theater, shopping, kid's clubs, etc . . .

Wouldn't deck 5 have a lot of traffic and noise???

Do you like Deck 2? We are booked on deck 2 9B's for the 5 night CANADA cruise. This will be our first cruise.

We stayed in 5022 & 5024 and they were MARVELOUS this past December! It was very quiet and we were close to the elevators & kids clubs- we loved them! Both have steamer trunks and sleep 4 too!

We tried to get them for Summer 2012 from NYC to Canada- we had to settle for 5522 & 5524 on July 15th. :goodvibes We saved $911 over booking connecting 9A staterooms!

Wouldn't deck 5 have a lot of traffic and noise???

The SPH staterooms are forward and there is only a short hallway of rooms past them and therefore much less foot traffic. We stayed in 5520 in January and absolutely loved it:goodvibes I am a very light sleeper and never heard any hallway or theater noise at all. I also loved the proximity to the kid's clubs and spa (made it easy to shower in the spa every day) and I am super excited that we were able to grab the same room on the Magic Eastern next year!

LOVED LOVED LOVED our SPH rooms (5022 & 5024 11/2003 Western Magic and recently 5522 & 5524 on the 3/26/11 Eastern Magic). Deck 5 Forward is a great place to be...very little traffic, and the Forward elevators are not crowded. Great location to easily use the stairs to dinner, the theater, even up to Deck 9!! :banana:

WooHoo!
:dance3:
Just had to share...

We are also on the Thanksgiving cruise, and have one of the other SPH cabins, so I guess we'll be "neighbors". :thumbsup2 We're in 5524. I know this has the most obstruction, but we're okay with that. I love deck 5! We had 5020 last time. That is a great cabin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter