Got my room assigned today DW not too happy

lexysdad04

Mouseketeer
Ok so we got our room assigned today room #10508 on the Fantasy, well my wife isn't to happy because its in the front. Originally we had booked. Cat 6a gty where all the rooms are in the back well we got a free "upgrade" to room 10508 in 5a BUT its at the front of ship under the over hang (I hope the overhang is not too horrible) so to me it's not really an upgrade because of the overhang and being in the front but I knew what I was getting into when I booked gty and my DW is not to happy that its at the front, so my option is if I want to switch rooms then I need to truly upgrade and pay the price of $112 for a 6th floor room (upgrade/downgrade) in the back of ship or $280 for a room in the 10th floor in the back of ship.

So what would you all do stay in the free "upgrade" or pay to downgrade to the 6th floor but in the middle/back?

We loved 10014 front of Fantasy last Oct. Overhang was a non issue. Fwd elevators were nice.

Yes the front elevators are a plus cause they are used less so that's cool

I also should mention we are traveling with DD8 and DS2.75 so I don't know if maybe we should choose a different floor to be closer to the nursery not that 1000 ft is far lol

We always stay forward on the ships. LOVE the location!!! The overhang will keep the rain and sun off you when you enjoy the verandah. :)

We always stay forward on the ships. LOVE the location!!! The overhang will keep the rain and sun off you when you enjoy the verandah. :)

Rain??? Yes you are correct I didn't even think about the rain, so that's another plus.
Thanks

If you book GTY it is my understanding that you are essentially agreeing to let them upgrade you if that is where rooms are available.

We were in 10024 this summer and loved the location. The overhang did not bother us at all, especially since it rained several days of our cruise. Also, there was never a wait for an elevator and it was just one flight of stairs up to the Cove Cafe, ice cream station, fast food counters, and drinks.

Just curious as to what your DW's aversion to the front of the ship is? That is our favorite location on the Dream/Fantasy. I love that the distance from the forward elevators to the mid-ship elevators is much shorter than the distance from the aft elevators to the mid-ship elevators. Being forward, to me, makes getting around the ship much easier. I will NEVER walk the entire length of the new ship on a cabin floor...just too long. I will go down to a public deck and walk from one end to another with no problem as there are things to break it up...not just an endless stretch of stateroom doors.

Hope you enjoy your cruise. Fantasy is an awesome ship:thumbsup2

MJ

Ok so we got our room assigned today room #10508 on the Fantasy, well my wife isn't to happy because its in the front. Originally we had booked. Cat 6a gty where all the rooms are in the back well we got a free "upgrade" to room 10508 in 5a BUT its at the front of ship under the over hang (I hope the overhang is not too horrible) so to me it's not really an upgrade because of the overhang and being in the front but I knew what I was getting into when I booked gty and my DW is not to happy that its at the front, so my option is if I want to switch rooms then I need to truly upgrade and pay the price of $112 for a 6th floor room (upgrade/downgrade) in the back of ship or $280 for a room in the 10th floor in the back of ship.

So what would you all do stay in the free "upgrade" or pay to downgrade to the 6th floor but in the middle/back?

If you want a specific room, why don't you make your booking that way?

Mike

If you book GTY it is my understanding that you are essentially agreeing to let them upgrade you if that is where rooms are available.

If you want a specific room, why don't you make your booking that way?

Mike

The OP said that the category he wanted wasn't available to book specific rooms since it was GTY at the time he made the reservation. He first said that he was willing to pay to upgrade to the higher category [that he didn't originally want to book] in order to be in the area he had hoped for. This was one of those rare cases where an upgrade occurred. It sounds like he has heard a lot of good points to the room he has been assigned though and might keep it.

Yup you are correct, that's why I'm wondering if you where in my situation would you pay to upgrade/downgrade to be in the 6th floor back of ship or just keep as is.

I think I'm leaning more towards keeping as is but my DW says she will probably get sea sick in the front, even though she has never been sea sick before on any other cruise

I have always felt less movement in the front of the ship. The aft is the only place where we ever feel ill, and that is when we are in the aft MDRs.

The OP said that the category he wanted wasn't available to book specific rooms since it was GTY at the time he made the reservation. He first said that he was willing to pay to upgrade to the higher category [that he didn't originally want to book] in order to be in the area he had hoped for. This was one of those rare cases where an upgrade occurred. It sounds like he has heard a lot of good points to the room he has been assigned though and might keep it.

Yup only gty when I booked so I booked that category hopping to stay in that category.

Yes lots of good points here I think I'll stay BUT happy wife happy ME so now to see what DW thinks about all the good points :)

Yup you are correct, that's why I'm wondering if you where in my situation would you pay to upgrade/downgrade to be in the 6th floor back of ship or just keep as is.

I think I'm leaning more towards keeping as is but my DW says she will probably get sea sick in the front, even though she has never been sea sick before on any other cruise

Don't take her.

I did VGT on the Fantasy last year. My assigned cabin? 10500. Yes, the overhang is very prominent, but did not bother us. It felt weird that my kids always were waved to by the navigation wing crew. It was very quiet though. I get sea sick no matter where I am on the ship. I take Bonine and do fine with it.

When the ship was rocking, we could really feel it. The kids found it funny that the bed moved. In the middle of the first night, I took down all the hangers in the closet, as I could not take their clanging.

We did like where the cabin was, though I would not book it. Very quick to the Adult pool area and the 12th deck. I liked being as high as I can.

Personally I love the front - it's one of my main hesitancies in upgrading to a verandah as most of the available ones on my cruise are mid or aft.
So I would keep it!

She walks the plank. Then you would have to rescue her. My pirates and I take over your room! Problem solved.

In all seriousness, maybe you could encourage her to try it? Share with her some thoughts that people here have said here. She might not know the benefits of the room!

Best of luck...

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We were on the first Fantasy Eastern in 10502. Just one stateroom from the front. We loved it. My DD and I would sit on the veranda al wave to the crew on the bridge. The overhang is not bad it does give you shade. We would do the room again next time we sail the Fantasy. By the way it was very quite as the spa is just above and they made no noise at all.

I had a similar problem ... I booked a 9D GTY, the location of which I loved, because I wanted a mid-deck room (floors 6, 7, 8). They "upgraded" me to a 9B, which was on the 2nd deck. A lot of people like the 2nd deck, but from previous sailings I knew it wasn't for us ... we like taking the stairs from the middle of the ship up to the pool, down to the restaurants, and being closer to the kids clubs. Its just our style.

I waited until the day of sailing to upgrade/downgrade, to see how high the price would be to perhaps go up to an 8C or even a verandah in a reasonably priced port upgrade. It was too high compared to what I had in mind, but I could downgrade to a 10A for free. So we did that, and we were super happy with the location.

So my advice would be ... wait to see what's available in port upgrades which are usually cheaper than upgrading beforehand. If nothing appeals you can downgrade for free hopefully to a location you like better ...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter