Got My DVC-Disney Visa...

This card is no better or worse than the other rewards cards I use. AOL gives 1%, except they give 2% on AOL Service ($23.99 a month). Sears gives 1%. I am going to alternate it with my AOL Card. I don't buy at Sears often enough to make it worth keep using (except when they have extra discounts for using the card), I'm close to a $35 reward, I'll cash in and stop using it. Cards that give FF miles aren't worth much these days because it's almost impossible to get a FF ticket (I tried for December last month, no tickets available except a long layover in DC). Discover only gives 1% if you hit a certain spending level. I don't expect Disney to give more than others on a no fee card just because they are Disney.

Regarding AMEX rewards, I believe you needed 2,500 points to get a character breakfast. Which meant they were worth about $25 at 1%, which was about what a breakfast costs.

I'm going to wait until I see what special offers they have. You can't make a judgement yet until you see it in action.

Regarding Disney Club & AMEX discounts, they are gone. Get over it and move on. You don't have to get the Disney Visa and you don't have to give Disney your business. Just as with any other business, it's your choice.

There's a new Special Offer listed on the account website.

Book a trip between now and 4/26 for travel between 4/27 and 7/3 and get $100/night off AKL, $50/night off any moderate and $25/night off any value resort.

If they start adding more offers like this, this card could become comparable to DC. I'm hoping to see a 5% discount on park passes at least by the end of the year. Then I'll be truly happy.:)

There's a thread over on the resorts code about this room discount. The code was posted on mousesavers and people started calling in for it. Mousesavers & CRO didn't know it was only for Disney Visa Cardholders, so they allowed anyone to book it. When they realized what was going on, they decided too many people had already booked, so they are allowing anyone to have it. So much for exclusive offers... :rolleyes:.

For those comparing Disney's Visa to Amex, don't forget that Amex has an annual fee for it, while the Visa doesn't. How much would you have to spend on Amex just to offset the annual fee before you started making any <u>real</u> rewards.

I'm getting a Disney Visa, but haven't decided if it'll be my secondary card or my tertiary card.

I use the GM card primarily, at 5% it can't be beat, as long as you're happy with GM products. Only issue is the $500 annual limit. So once I've charged $10,000 annually, the GM card no longer accumulates any more earnings. That's when I switch primary charges to another card.

My gas card has 3% at the branded gas station, and 1% everywhere else, so I'll continue to use it at the branded gas station for the 3%, and then had been using it as the primary card once the GM card earnings had maxed out.

With Disney, I'll simply compare it to the gas card on individual purchases and use whichever is better in the long run. Use whichever card gives better than 1% depending on the purchase (gas or a Disney product).

Originally posted by Caskbill
I use the GM card primarily, at 5% it can't be beat, as long as you're happy with GM products. Only issue is the $500 annual limit. So once I've charged $10,000 annually, the GM card no longer accumulates any more earnings. That's when I switch primary charges to another card.

Bill,
We used to do the same with the GM card.But since I am a GM employee,this year we are only allowed to get 1% back on the GM card from 8/2003 on.:mad: So now we only use the Continental Master card for FF mlies and free flights to DVC locations.
I did sign up for the Disney Visa Card as a back up since there is no annual fee.

Sorry, I guess I'm just stuck on the point that we got a better deal with Amex + disney club - the Amex card has a one point per one dollar rewards, and when it was the official card you could use those points for disney stuff (tickets, etc.) Combine that with the discounts on water craft (which I enjoyed), dining, purchases at wod (20%) and it was pretty nice.
With this new card, the point structure is 1%, and in "doing my research" I can't find what value those magical points will have - is it dollar for dollar?

Just trying to be helpful, but the above seems to be subject to a few misconceptions.

Most important, I think, is the fact that, depending on how you use your rewards, AmEx's Membership Rewards works out to roughly 1% (or less) in most cases, making the rewards value equal to the Disney Visa's earnings. It's true that the Disney Visa earns you only one Dream Reward point per $100 spent, while AmEx earns you one Membership Rewards point for every $1, but the DR points are each worth $1, while the MR points are essentially each worth only a penny! (again, this depends on how you spend them, but a $50 Gap gift card costs 5000 MR points. That's a penny per point! And some rewards work out to even less.) So in both cases, $100 of spending earns you basically $1 of reward.

Second, in comparing that 1% reward to a 20% discount on the DC, I think you may be comparing apples to oranges. Look at it like this: let's say that BEFORE, you spent $52000 per year on your AmEx, paid it in full every statement, and you had a DC card; and NOW instead you will spend $52000 per year on your Disney Visa and pay it in full every statement. BEFORE, you would earn 52000 MR points, which you could trade for a six-day Park Hopper Plus (a $308 value, for a 0.6% reward value, just over one-HALF a percent) with 2000 MR points left over (call it a $20 gift card for the store of your choice at the going 1% rate) and you could use your Disney Club to save 20% on your Downtown Disney Shopping (say $200 off of $1000 worth of shopping). All told you've gotten $508 of "free" stuff out of your DC and MR, assuming you'd spend $1000 at DD or save the $200 in some other form of DC discount. And you are spending $120 in membership fees for these programs, if I am correct. ($50 AmEx, $30 MR, $40 DC). NOW, spending the $52000 on your Disney Visa gives you $520 Dream Reward dollars, which will BUY you a Premium Annual Pass outright. That is, 100% OFF your PAP, just for spending money you were spending anyway. Also that's $52000 expediture for a $520 reward -- a full 1%, while you only got 0.6% when you used the MR points for a 6-day PHP. And there are no fees as long as you pay your balance each statement.

So, to summarize:
AmEx/DC combo:
annual spending: $52000 (for example)
reward value: $508 (assuming you can get $200 in discounts out of DC in a year; you might have to spend another $800 to "save" this $200!)
fees: $120
net benefit: $388

Disney Visa:
annual spending: $52000 (for example)
reward value: $520 (no matter what you use it for at WDW!)
fees: $0
net benefit: $520

Now granted most of us don't spend $52000 a year on our credit card, but in that case the $120 in fees for the AmEx/DC option just weighs heavier against its benefits! For instance, if you spent only $4000 per year on either option, the AmEx/DC option would get you a $25 character breakfast for 3500 of your MR points with 500 left over towards $5 worth of a gift card, and, say, $50 savings on a $250 shopping spree, but you still would have spent $120 in fees, so you are DOWN $40 on the deal. Spending the same $4000 on your Disney Visa, you'd get $40 in Dream Reward dollars to spend as you'd like at WDW. $40 benefit, no fees.

So to some, a 1% "reward" can be better than a 20% discount.

I am by no means THRILLED with the Disney Visa's offerings, but I think that many will find that, for them, the overall benefit is AT LEAST as good as the old AmEx/DC combo!

For those comparing Disney's Visa to Amex, don't forget that Amex has an annual fee for it, while the Visa doesn't.

Bill,
The Amex Blue Cash card has no annual fee and normally gives you 1.5% back (after reaching a spending limit which I can't remember). You can get more back by using the card at supermarkets, gas stations, drugstores, and home improvement stores or by carrying a balance.

My wife and I visit WDW twice a year, so we buy annual passes. By going a week earlier the next year, we get to use them three different times. So we only have to buy a new one about every 15 months. We get better discounts with the ap than we did with Disney club, so I don't feel as if we have lost anything. We will also be able to save much more on our annual passes with the new visa card than we did with Disney club. So for us I feel its a better deal.

Having been to HI last year and going to Puerta Vallarta this year for our family of four, I think I'll stick with my AMEX Delta card. The Maui trip would have been a full $4000 and the PV trip $3700 on Delta (and partners). Yes it does have a $135 yearly fee and I do use it a lot. My other main card is a Marriott rewards Visa and I'm saving for a big reward on it. I probably do spend $52K a year on credit cards and pay them off. It DOES depend on how you use them (both the cards and the rewards option).

Well, I have a Disney visa, but being an annual passholder I won't be using it for packages that include tickets. What I'd really like to do is get a bit of $ off my pass renewal, but I haven't seen anything in the literature that would let me know if I CAN use it for that. If it doesn't work out I will cancel the card and go back to using my LL Bean card.

I haven't seen anything about a discount on passes, but I believe you can use the reward dollars toward passes or almost anything else at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter