Got Connections??!

Rufio

Disney Veteran/Lost Boy
Lets be honest everyone wants a secure foot into the disney door for their internship, so I was wondering does anybody out there know people?

And I mean the top people that could make it easier on my success rate to get my Summer aka June-Dec Professional Intership?

I am going for either: Guest Relations (In magic kingdom (PLEASE!!)).....
OR
Graphic Design/Marketing
OR
Hotel/Hospitality

Please let me know all the info, and it would help others as well.

Thanks so much.

No offense but asking people if they know people to make sure you "secure" your internship?
...Yea probably not a good idea. I doubt you have to know people to get an internship. Internships are available based on need and how many people they can take.

And besides you wouldn't know the person if someone referred you to them. So that really wouldn't benefit you in the long run anyway.

What about everyone else who applies and doesn't know people?

If you really want the internship you can apply and play the waiting game like everyone else has to.

(Sorry but that's my honest opinion.)

There are several threads here you can read about getting an internship. Read them :).

I'm not attacking your question, I'm just giving an opinion on how you're coming off, I apologize.

I know I may have come off I little to direct, but actually its how you present yourself entirely.
Your resume, the type of work you are interested in, the managers you know, its a combination of many things. Not just chance.

Disney wants the best.

And thank you for your honesty but there is a famous saying heard many times...

'Its not what you know, but who you know'.

And that really does help with the 'waiting game' of Professional Internships,
I have been in contact with a my old managers and actual interns down there, and they do say it good to know people.

Thanks

Having been on hiring teams for many years, it does help when YOU know someone BUT YOU (not someone random who really doesn't know YOU) should actually have the connection. If someone I knew referred a person for me to place on an interview list, I would want to know from that person how THEY knew YOU -- I don't just place someone who I wouldn't have normally interviewed without lots of info. Just to make this even clearer -- if your resume is in front of me and it's what it should be, you'd be on my interviewing list without the recommendation. Even with a recommendation, it truly holds no value once you interview. It's yours and yours to lose with or without a recommendation.

So, you may be quoting a famous quote BUT in actuality, YOU have to sell yourself, your qualifications and your ability to be a Disney employee (internship, etc). Place value in yourself, be confident and follow YOUR path -- not the path others have paved for you. YOU, and you alone, have the ability to "make your dreams come true." Trust that and you'll find that doors are opened by you, not others.

I don't normally post here, but this one really grabbed my attention. Sorahana and hsteacher are both spot on with their replies.

Rufio, you are correct, Disney is a corporation and they want the best. You might be the best. And knowing people certainly won't hurt you.

However, coming on a public message board and asking people to help you get an internship by giving you the names of "top people" is not the best route to go. That is just not how things work at this company.

First of all, if someone were to post names on this forum they would be out there for everyone to see. Nobody from Disney wants their name and e-mail address on a public message board for anyone to contact, especially people they don't know. Secondly, if you were able to actually get some names/contact info through this post, and then actually try to contact them it would get you nowhere. Contacting people you don't know and have never met is a big no-no. They will want to know how you got their contact information, and it would be frowned on to say you saw it on the Disboards. People you have never met on a message board cannot refer you to anyone at Disney - they don't know you, and referrals only work when you actually know the person you are referring.

It's great that you are thinking ahead about the internship process. You are already doing some smart things. Keep in contact with your College Program Leaders and any peers you met while down here. They will be able to refer you to the right people, as they know you personally. Ask them if they know anyone in your desired field and they will get the ball rolling for you. If you are not physically down here right now, that may just mean communicating with a hiring manager through e-mail or the phone, but that is something only people that you know directly can help you with. If you are planning a visit between now and June try to set up a meeting with some of the managers you are referred to at that time.

In the end, knowing people will help get you the interview, but it will not get you the internship. That will be based on how your interviews go, your education, work experience, skills, work ethic and personality. So while knowing people is good, it will never beat out some common sense and a positive attitude.

Good Luck.

hey just wanted to say thanks....your wisdom has been well digested by my eager college immaturity.

Im just wanting to be accepted...and im getting nervous.
i hope and pray they love me as much as i love them.

Disney wants the best.

And thank you for your honesty but there is a famous saying heard many times...

'Its not what you know, but who you know'.

And that really does help with the 'waiting game' of Professional Internships,
I have been in contact with a my old managers and actual interns down there, and they do say it good to know people.

Thanks

Since I've started working here the phrase I've heard repeatedly is "It's not who you know...but who knows what you know!" Hope that makes sense! So basically while it would be great to be on a first name basis with Phil Holmes if Phil Holmes doesn't know what you bring to the table then it's not going to help you at all.
You say you are in touch with your old managers and honestly that should be enough! Most people don't know executives personally but if your average front line manager is willing to stick their neck out for you than that speaks volumes in this company.
Good luck! These are tough times and every little bit helps ;)

Since I've started working here the phrase I've heard repeatedly is "It's not who you know...but who knows what you know!"

Well said and great thread, everybody, all the way around. Thanks for bringing this up, Rufio, and good luck!

I met Mickey Mouse once, let me see if i still have his phone number...

thanks for bringing humor to my post, hopefully I can make mickey laugh enough to work my way up the ladder!

Well said and great thread, everybody, all the way around. Thanks for bringing this up, Rufio, and good luck!

Hey one of my very good friends lives in celebration! And perhaps I will join that little magical village!
and what is your current employment at Disney if I may ask?

thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter