got carried away

:) This year I am doing a family gift for my Brother, SIL and their five kids ages 4-19, and my Mom and Dad. Daddy took lots of reel to reel movies of us (just the 1 sibling) so I had them ALL converted to DVD. So I decorated two baskets with popcorn, movie candy and the videos and that is what they are getting. They are your typical 1970s vidoes of crazy birthdays and exciting Christmas mornings. I think the kids will get a kick out of them since they have never seen them all. The 19 year old is the spitting image of my Mother (her Nana) and it is soooo cute and creepy. So I did Christmas for less than $500.

For DH's family I spent a little over $300-MIL, SIL, BIL, Neice and her husband, Nephew and his fiance.

I am glad it is almost :rolleyes:over

I am wondering what amount of $$ is considered getting carried away? I was talking to a man yesterday about kids and Christmas. He told me his kids had only requested one item each for Christmas, so that is what they got. When I told him how much I spend on each of my kids he looked at me like I was crazy. I typically spend $400 to $500 on each child(we have 6, ages 8 to 19). I don't think it is excessive, but I have no idea what most people average. My closest estimate is that we have spent $3,500 on gifts, $400 on tree, lights and ornaments (Hallmark collection), $600 at Disney parks(local, passholders), $100 for donated toys, and maybe another $200 in miscellaneous items (baking supplies, wrapping paper, etc.) I don't feel badly about it or consider it going over board. We plan for Christmas and don't go into debt for it.

I think the OP meant that she spent too much money for her personal taste, not suggesting there was some objective 'too much' limit.

If you want to compare notes, I only have the one kidlet and I spent about $250 this year on her gifts. I got her her first laptop, a video game, a bunch of books, candy, etc. I spent $30 on a live tree and used the stuff we had from last year to decorate it, about $25 worth of nice stuff from Goodwill. I spent about $130 on misc items (cards, wine, good quality marzipan, etc). I spent $75 for my husband and I. My extended family does secret Santa, so we only buy gifts for one person with a $25 limit.

Obviously, I didn't spend anywhere near as much as you did, but I don't have as many kids and Christmas isn't really a big financial priority for me. My daughter thinks it is alright, but honestly is still talking about her birthday more than Santa. She is the only grandchild of my in-laws and one of two for my own family, so she gets tons of presents regardless of what I do or don't spend.

I really do not want to know what I spent this year! We are trying something a little different this year and while I think we are going to like it, it ended up costing me a lot more money. Christmas Eve we are going to do "family" gifts. Things that are for everyone. Board games, card games, wii games and tickets to a Hockey Game. We used to just do PJ"S. I did buy less per person for our Christmas morning gifts, but not that much less. I also decided not to spend a lot of money on junk stocking stuffers so the big people all got a bunch of gift cards in a tiny stocking. It is all stuff they will really use and most we might have bought anyway, but boy did it add up. Oh well.....it's done and I can't wait to see everyone smile Christmas morning.

B&H has a great deal on the G15s right now! They are less than Amazon.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889961-REG/Canon_PowerShot_G15_Digital_Camera.html

Includes a memory card, a camera pouch and free shipping for $419.

Check your local Target store as well. They are having some really great unadvertised prices on cameras right now. I just bought a Canon A1300 for DS for Christmas. I paid $50 for it - every where else the price was at least $99 (though a quick search at the store you mentioned has it at $60). These are unadvertised prices and not available online - and the weird part they vary from store to store. I found the camera at my local store where it was $60 but they were out of stock. I got it at the store the next town over for the above mentioned price - and that's before my red card discount and with no coupons, etc.

I too spent more than I should have, mostly on my DDs. And like others have said, it was the little things that just added up. Every year I say that next year I am cutting back and then the next year comes around and I find too many things that I think they will love. Part of the problem for me though is that if there is something they need, but not immediately, they usually get it for Easter or Christmas. This year DD4 is getting a new bedding set and new Crocs (she lives in them year round, the ones she have don't fit AND we are going to DW in March) among other things. When I look at what I actually got them, the only thing that really sticks out that I could send back is the Flynn Rider doll since she loves Barbies but doesn't even play with her Rapunzel barbie. And of course that came from DS and would be a pain to ship back so it's staying. If I think back to last Christmas, I can't even recall 90% of the stuff they got, plus they get probably at least 20 things each from other people so I think I need to come up with a new plan by next year!

I just told my DD last night that I find myself spending more on her and the grandkids then I did on them .
You see something and think " that is not that much " but then you add it up and WOW its eye opening . I remember paying about 20 for a Furby for my DD and this year I spent 59.00 on the "purple" one for her daughter :sad2:

Thanks. I can check but I don't think Target sells this particular camera. I have looked before. Our Best Buy doesn't sell it either. I checked there when I was in too.

Dawn

Check your local Target store as well. They are having some really great unadvertised prices on cameras right now. I just bought a Canon A1300 for DS for Christmas. I paid $50 for it - every where else the price was at least $99 (though a quick search at the store you mentioned has it at $60). These are unadvertised prices and not available online - and the weird part they vary from store to store. I found the camera at my local store where it was $60 but they were out of stock. I got it at the store the next town over for the above mentioned price - and that's before my red card discount and with no coupons, etc.

You may or may not have been seeking camera advice...actually you weren't but I can't help myself in recommending the Canon Powershot G12 or G15 (just a newer model).

Thanks for the tips. My Canon Powershot G9 is starting to misbehave, so I've been looking at the reviews. I definitely want another Canon. I've read that after the first of the year is the time to buy cameras, so I'll be shopping also.

Sheila

Since Christmas is still a few days away, go through the presents and select some to return. Your kids and grandkids will not know what you originally bought.

In the past, I have done that. I bought quite a bit and then realized it was way more than I wanted to spend and more then anyone needed, so I returned some of the gifts before I gave them out.

Do it now and you will feel better. Believe me, you will still have a wonderful Christmas!

I agree. Return some of the things or save them for birthdays. I always got too many gifts for our kids when they were small. Besides the money, they really get overloaded on Christmas day.

One of my sons will hit a certain point and refuse to open anything else. One year, it was two weeks after Christmas before we got him to open the last few gifts. They really enjoy getting just a few things and stopping to play with them.

Sheila

I don't really keep track..I buy year round, then add a few specialty items closer to Christmas. I have 9 grandkids and can't tell you what I spend on each since I buy clearance for so much of it. I usally get them 2-3 toy like things each...actual toys or video games, etc, then a book or two, pjs and an outfit or two. For my kids and their spouses the same few gifts and a Santa gift which is their big gift. This year I am using money from my Mom's estate and she joined up with Santa to give them all a trip to Disneyland in Jan 2014 (I have DVC so need to plan waaay out) this includes their room, train or equivalent cash if they want to drive, PH and $900 spending money for each family group. Not counting this gift I've probably spent about 2K on the kids/spouses/grandkids which isn't too bad considering there are 15 in all. Then we buy for a couple close friends, step father, neice and nephews, ex SIL and his dad that come for Christmas and family nice White Elephant so that is probably about another 400.

I am wondering what amount of $$ is considered getting carried away? I was talking to a man yesterday about kids and Christmas. He told me his kids had only requested one item each for Christmas, so that is what they got. When I told him how much I spend on each of my kids he looked at me like I was crazy. I typically spend $400 to $500 on each child(we have 6, ages 8 to 19). I don't think it is excessive, but I have no idea what most people average. My closest estimate is that we have spent $3,500 on gifts, $400 on tree, lights and ornaments (Hallmark collection), $600 at Disney parks(local, passholders), $100 for donated toys, and maybe another $200 in miscellaneous items (baking supplies, wrapping paper, etc.) I don't feel badly about it or consider it going over board. We plan for Christmas and don't go into debt for it.
I have 3 kids - ages 22-28. I have budgeted about $100 per child for Christmas and birthdays for years, so $400 to $500 per child is excessive to me!

I won't even add it up until after Christmas! I thought about adding it up today, but I don't think I should. I have a pretty good idea I went overboard again! I considered myself done a couple weeks ago, but have been picking up "just a couple little things" here and there ever since!

My kids are getting clothes, boots, sleeping bags, luggage and music needs (ex: digital piano, amp, stands, etc) that I have been holding off on. Many families would have purchased these items at back to school time or as needed. I try and save everything for Christmas, Bdays, Easter, etc. So, that's why our holidays seem "big"!

I think each girl has about 15 gifts to unwrap. Our Santa gifts are set out unwrapped and are some of the big ticket items this year. The clothes are in 1 big box each and that alone accounts for about $300. I feel like I got great deals and a lot of stuff.

Instead of returning some of the toys, I actually took some of them (yesterday) and donated them to the local Children's Foundation which takes gifts to families in need. They were delighted! It hasn't helped my budget any, but I am feeling happier to have helped out some kids who might not be getting much otherwise.

TP

Teresa Pitman said:
Instead of returning some of the toys, I actually took some of them (yesterday) and donated them to the local Children's Foundation which takes gifts to families in need. They were delighted! It hasn't helped my budget any, but I am feeling happier to have helped out some kids who might not be getting much otherwise.

TP

That was a great idea!

I overspent this year too. I need to open a Christmas club account at my credit union at work and create and stick to a budget next year.

I agree. Return some of the things or save them for birthdays. I always got too many gifts for our kids when they were small. Besides the money, they really get overloaded on Christmas day.

One of my sons will hit a certain point and refuse to open anything else. One year, it was two weeks after Christmas before we got him to open the last few gifts. They really enjoy getting just a few things and stopping to play with them.

Sheila

Oh I remember this. I got dd everything for Christmas one year and my inlaws showed up with easily as much or more than I had for her:faint:
It was waaaayyyy too much and she was completely overwhelmed. Present opening took hours and she just wanted to stop. Nevermind that it was excessive and not what I wanted to teach her Christmas was about. A 5 year old will hit a point where they just want to stop. I know they meant well, but we definitely had a talk about scaling back the next year.:crazy2:

I overspent this year too. I need to open a Christmas club account at my credit union at work and create and stick to a budget next year.

This is what I did last year - opened a Christmas Club account. DH & I agreed to spend $250 on each of our three DDs this year. They're 17, 20 & 23. They did Wish List boards on their Pinterest accounts and I went there to pick and choose what to get them. I did, however, go a little over. . . I always do. But not too bad this year. Opening the account kept me check and I didn't go into debt. I spent what I had and that was that. Hope it helps you next year.

It's hard for me to put a dollar amount on my kids because every year it seems to vary. For instance the year the wanted PS3 and games, that was a costly Christmas. Lol
Is your budget seriously busted? If it's just going to make next month a bit tight, I would go ahead with the gifts and then remind everyone that you will be on a tight budget.

I don't even want to know what I have spent!

One mistake I keep making is, I always buy early... I have everything wrapped and ready on like Thanksgiving. Fast forward to Christmas-rush time...I am shopping again, and buying MORE. I keep kicking myself because I cannot resist the holiday shopping season. I should just WAIT til it hits, I would end up spending far less.

I have a spreadsheet where I log each Christmas purchase for my kids with how much I spent. So I do stick to my budget, but I budget $350 per child for my kiddos. When wrapping presents, I usually find that for that budget, I have bought WAY too much for my kids. So I always take some items out and push them to the birthday or Easter piles. For example, I bought two Moxie Girl bathtub dolls for them this year, so I moved those to their Easter basket. And I bought some 3DS games and art sets for them and ended up deciding to make those birthday gifts.

Then in the spring, I have birthday gifts already started for both of them and this year I have some Easter items, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter