Got back a few days ago, stayed at Hojo w/kids' suite

Remember highly positive or highly negative reviews are only the highly subjective opinion of that person.
There are many other options that might meet your needs, but perhaps don't have a cheerleading squad........

I always find the cheer leading I have seen over the years for the HOJO kind of amusing in some ways. Considering we're talking about a hotel chain that for the most part was 2 story motor lodges with greasy spoon restaurants attached to them. Very much like the original Holiday Inns, but without the neat neon signs. The HJ company used to be a major player in economy lodging and for a while them and Holiday Inn controlled a big part of that market. In the late 1970's, that all changed and the company all but went belly up. It's rare to see them now compared to when I was a kid growing up in the 70's.

Now HJ properties is owned by the Wyndham corp and are all considered economy offerings. Yet on these boards one would get the impression that it's the greatest place in all of the DLR area. I think a big part of that was because they offered the cheap entertainment rate and $59 bucks a night, it was a steal. Now due to changes in booking and the management of the hotel has kind of cooled in it's approach to how it treats and accommodates the fan base here and on other Disney boards, you now start to see people look at the place differently. To me it's a decent looking place, but I never got all the hype I saw about it over the years here. It's just a budget hotel that takes advantage of being in the DLR area. There's plenty of other options to choose from and as Judy correctly pointed out in her post.

There are many other options that might meet your needs, but perhaps don't have a cheerleading squad........

I always find the cheer leading I have seen over the years for the HOJO kind of amusing in some ways. Considering we're talking about a hotel chain that for the most part was 2 story motor lodges with greasy spoon restaurants attached to them. Very much like the original Holiday Inns, but without the neat neon signs. The HJ company used to be a major player in economy lodging and for a while them and Holiday Inn controlled a big part of that market. In the late 1970's, that all changed and the company all but went belly up. It's rare to see them now compared to when I was a kid growing up in the 70's.

Now HJ properties is owned by the Wyndham corp and are all considered economy offerings. Yet on these boards one would get the impression that it's the greatest place in all of the DLR area. I think a big part of that was because they offered the cheap entertainment rate and $59 bucks a night, it was a steal. Now due to changes in booking and the management of the hotel has kind of cooled in it's approach to how it treats and accommodates the fan base here and on other Disney boards, you now start to see people look at the place differently. To me it's a decent looking place, but I never got all the hype I saw about it over the years here. It's just a budget hotel that takes advantage of being in the DLR area. There's plenty of other options to choose from and as Judy correctly pointed out in her post.

I agree with you 100%!!!!

ok we have stayed an it was nice the got us in early like 1030 am, but it was 3 years ago

I have been reading so many neg comments now an well, im canceling mine there in nov i need to an we will stay at desert inn its much closer an well it is jsut what we will do an im sorry they got rid lor but they have been going down in ratings since then, good luck an sorry you had such bad time there

Maybe it's just me, but my feeling on the whole HOJO's issues, is that as of the end of Feb/11 all the problems with policy changes, Lorealle disappearing from the boards, and a general attitude change away from the very base of DISer's that have faithfully for the most part supported this hotel is a bad sign to a certain degree. My gut is saying that it's just too much of a coincidence that this happened at the end of a month. My feelings on the whole is that HOJO's could have been sold, since it is a franchise to a different operator. The first things that happen when any company is taken over is that all the upper management is let go, and this is showing with Lorealle "disappearing". Just my opinion, and safe to say that we will be booking the CCI on our next trip instead of HOJO's.

OK, let me clear up some of the speculation. We miss Lorealle too! She decided back in April 2010 to accept a full time position in a similar customer relations position (not in the hotel business) closer to her home, but continued to work for HojoAnahiem on a part-time basis from home until January this year when we amicably parted ways. We discussed potential future projects, and I expressed our hope that she may one day return to our Hojo family. Beyond that, there have not been any management or ownership changes. I have worked at this HojoAnaheim for over 20 years, and this property has been operated as a Howard Johnson by the same owner since 1965! Our dedication to quality and service has not changed, either. We continue to push for new quality improvements, from premium beds, premium coffee makers, Castaway Cove, Kids Suites, room renovations, free wi-fi, and most importantly – Service!

Rest assured, all of our team is just as committed to great value, quality and service!

Jonathan - GM

I think my expectations for a Disneyland hotel must be pretty low compared to some. Here's what I want: clean room, comfy beds, walking distance to Disneyland, no overt rudeness from staff if I happen to interact with them (which I rarely do), and good price comparable to similar offerings.

We're pretty self-sufficient so if our room is clean when we arrive and nothing is broken and there are enough towels, we're usually pretty happy. I tip housekeeping each day and otherwise don't interact with staff. The few times I have had to do so at Hojos, the staff has been polite and helpful, although not always speedy. I don't care about breakfast being provided because those breakfasts are often not all that good or healthy enough anyway, and since we drive down we can pack the kinds of foods we prefer.

The most I have ever paid for a single room at Hojo was $140 per night with taxes included (August 2008) and $144 (taxes included) for the kid suite (although that was only for two nights of a seven night stay during which we got the $99 rate for the first five nights). Usually I pay $81 - $116 per night (taxes included) for either a deluxe building 2 room or a kid suite. Everybody talks about cheaper rates elsewhere, but I don't know how people are getting these rates. :confused3 I regularly check rates for at least 4-5 hotels including Hojos for my dates before booking. My criteria for walking distance is pretty much the area between Hojos and Candy Cane Inn, so that is very limiting. Are people really consistently getting cheaper rates including taxes and parking for weekend, holiday periods, and summer dates at those Harbor hotels and not being required to pay in advance or book non-refundable rates? I'm definitely willing to consider other places IF I can get a better rate and be no further away than Hojos. Maybe there is more disparity in rates during off-season, but that's not really an option for us.

I think that for the price, HOJO is all that. It's close to the parks, it's clean, and well kept. I guess I too don't really expect much from a hotel that I am basically going to just shower and sleep in... But then again, I have stayed at hostels and have been okay.

I found the trip to and from Disneyland safe late at night. I never ran into any nefarious types.

Of course I did live in San Francisco, now there is a city that can be scary to walk around at times... :) Nafariousness abounds...

OK, let me clear up some of the speculation. We miss Lorealle too! She decided back in April 2010 to accept a full time position in a similar customer relations position (not in the hotel business) closer to her home, but continued to work for HojoAnahiem on a part-time basis from home until January this year when we amicably parted ways. We discussed potential future projects, and I expressed our hope that she may one day return to our Hojo family. Beyond that, there have not been any management or ownership changes. I have worked at this HojoAnaheim for over 20 years, and this property has been operated as a Howard Johnson by the same owner since 1965! Our dedication to quality and service has not changed, either. We continue to push for new quality improvements, from premium beds, premium coffee makers, Castaway Cove, Kids Suites, room renovations, free wi-fi, and most importantly – Service!

Rest assured, all of our team is just as committed to great value, quality and service!

Jonathan - GM

Thank you, Jonathan, for clearing up all speculation for those on the DISboards. :) I knew management had never changed. I knew you were still there since you had responded to an email as of late, (and in very speedy fashion, same day. Not only that but you immediately edited and corrected a small typo I had noticed on your website. Pretty cool, to take care of such a minor thing so quickly.) I also figured Willie was still there, and so I had a pretty good hunch the exact same management was still there as before, as always, keeping a careful watch on things.

I remember too, how careful Hojo's had been about cutting down and trimming the original trees, to help guests to see the fireworks - they did a great job both for the guests, and for the original hotel owner, in honor of that. I loved that they had respected the trees. :), as well as the original owner. I believe someone helped plant those trees is there today, is that you, Jonathan? The only thing that has changed has been the cancellation policy on the Entertainment Rate and it was clear to me that there needed to be a change, (due to 'reservation hoarders') not only to be fair to Hojo's, but to other guests as well.

Other hotels (Tropicana) have brought in parking fees and annoyed guests by telling them they would have to pay the fees even though they booked the hotel when there were no parking fees. :confused3 As far as 'going downhill' and Hojo's having 'more complaints' I found that any of the few complaints posted on the DISboards about Hojo's in the past few months have been dealt with immediately by Hojo's management in a completely satisfactory manner and I don't find the hotel to be 'declining' since Lorealle has gone. Sure, I certainly do miss her warm and caring manner in her posts and emails, she truly was a gem!!... :goodvibes But I know we are still in good hands at Hojo's when we next go there.

The staff at in-house reservations are all very kind, and great to work with. It is nice to know Lorealle is still on good terms with Hojo's. I think there was so much speculation that no one knew anymore what the truth was - imagine - a theory gets spread that management isn't the same anymore - people on the DISboards read that comment, and assume it to be true, when it is NOT, and decide not to book their next stay there, or even to cancel current reservations there. Ugh! Not fair to Hojo's. This is how rumors get started.

I for one prefer a hotel where maybe 'the room was too noisy (freeway noise) for my liking, and the management kindly moved us to another room the next day', (would have been moved sooner but they were full to capacity, which shows the hotel has an excellent reputation), or, 'my flip out sofa bed had no mattress so they brought up a cot right away', especially when compared to: 'My ipad was stolen yet mysteriously returned' (Desert Inn and Suites) or: 'Cockroaches were found and nothing was done' /'Socks dirty from floor! (Park Vue Inn) or: 'Bedbugs found!!' (CCI, to be fair though, management responded in an appropriate manner, and many people on the boards are comforted in returning, and booking there now.)

When someone posted on the DISboards asking Hojo's about their bedbug policy, (just to see what their policy was after the other bedbug threads had been posted), management was right there, chiming in to reassure the poster that housekeeping specifically looks for anything out of the ordinary, etc. upon guest checkout and during cleaning the room, all the time.

I can vouch for the cleanliness of the hotel, as well as the COMFORT of the beds, and LOVE staying there, and will continue to promote it because I feel that strongly about it. (Yes, I am a Hojo's cheerleader, RAH RAH RAH! :cheer2: :goodvibes) I am getting tired of listening to others on this board make others feel that they might be getting a bad deal at this hotel, because the truth is, older hotel or not, they have kept up with so many amenities that can not be compared to other hotels, there is no way anything else can compete with Hojo's, on Harbor Blvd, or anywhere else for that matter. Free in-room safe, In-room Keurig coffee with 'to-go' cups. Fridge, Microwave, great gift shop, specially designed wonderful play area (Pirate's Cove) for kids, a garden pool, plus hot tub, Mimi's Cafe next door, and so much more.

Personally, for our family, the cleanliness and spaciousness of the rooms has really held our interest from day one, thanks to such a great housekeeping team!!

The high level of friendly, personalized customer service at Hojo's can not be matched anywhere. The room feels so very comfortable and very much like our home once we set foot in it - and to us, that means the world. :worship:

Jory29, I loved your defense and everything you cite is why I continue to be confident in my choice to try HoJo for the first time this October.

Yet can I just admit that part of me is secretly hoping someone with a Kids' Suite reservation in October cancels after reading the complaints? I REALLY want a Kids' Suite...

bag.gif

Jonathan - GM

Thank you for posting, Jonathan! I have to say, the HOJO's staff is what makes it such an enjoyable stay for us. We love the pricing, the location, the pools, and the nicely decorated rooms. Even preparing for our next trip, the staff has continued to be as helpful as ever.

As I mentioned on a seperate thread, any hotel can have a rough moment. We cannot, however, blame the HOJO because there was a rude individual passed on the way back. As several people have said in reference to that, there can be unpleasant people all the way up to the entrances themselves, so it doesn't necessarily matter which off-site hotel you stay at. There are also rude and unpleasant people staying at the on-site hotels, in line at DL and even in my local Target parking lot. If you run across one that is particularly offensive, the best any of us can do is call the cops so it doesn't happen to others and explain to our children that good and bad can be everywhere, sadly even in a lovely place like DL. On a side note, I've never found our walk back to the HOJO anything but pleasant, both visually and people-wise.

As for the pool experience, I respect that towels needed refilled. But, I always feel that part of a good trip is knowing how to handle the liitle stuff. I simply would have had the kids dry off a little in a chair, or had them use the towels in the room and called housekeeping for more.

The sofa is very unfortunate, and that really would have bothered me, having booked that room. Did you ask to speak to the manager during your stay? If I had contacted the front desk, and not had it sorted by the next day, I would have demanded two adjoining rooms instead, or to be compensated for the fact that it should never have been an issue. But then, I'm one that has no problem demanding something be taken care of. Sometimes it's a good trait, sometimes not so much! LOL

It is unfortunate that there were a few bumps in your trip. Hopefully your next Anaheim visit will be smoother for you.

Service seems fine to me! OP, sorry to hear you had some challenges. I have read a LOT worse at nearby motels and experienced a lot worse at Hilton - NO hot water, had to pay for internet, rude convention goers, pool was out of towels, etc.

I lurked over here this afternoon, saw a post about someone getting a great rate at the DL Hotel, decided to see what I could get, and got the $59 AP rate at Hojo! Of course, In House Reservations had left for the weekend when I called, but the gal at the front desk was FANTASTIC, answered my questions, and went ahead and took my reservation (all my info was in their system as a returning guest).

Based on all that I have read, I am not at all concerned about HoJo. Management is the same, which is a great sign. Sad to see Loraelle moving on, but hey, I get it. I have had to see some great employees move on to better opportunities too, especially when gas hit $4 a gallon and there is a long commute or kids involved. So, I am looking forward to our impromptu trip at the Hojo before our APs expire.

Jory29, I loved your defense and everything you cite is why I continue to be confident in my choice to try HoJo for the first time this October.

Yet can I just admit that part of me is secretly hoping someone with a Kids' Suite reservation in October cancels after reading the complaints? I REALLY want a Kids' Suite...

bag.gif

Smiles33 - I actually have a Kids Suite ressie I am going to cancel... not because of any negative comments, though, because we've decided to go in June rather than October. Currently, I have 10/3 - 10/8 reserved with entertainment rate. I will, likely, call to cancel it this week. Hopefully the dates work for you and you're lucky enough to grab the room up once I cancel it :thumbsup2

Smiles33 - I actually have a Kids Suite ressie I am going to cancel... not because of any negative comments, though, because we've decided to go in June rather than October. Currently, I have 10/3 - 10/8 reserved with entertainment rate. I will, likely, call to cancel it this week. Hopefully the dates work for you and you're lucky enough to grab the room up once I cancel it :thumbsup2

Aw shucks! We are going the following weekend so it won't work out for us. Thanks anyway!

I would not have been happy if the room I reserved did not come with all it was advertised to have, especially, if my family size needed that number of sleeping spaces. I reserved a room for December there, and am not so worried about the hotel itself as to the experience on your walk! I'm rethinking about finding a closer hotel or staying on property. Even though I'll have my adult sons with me, I may go back to the hotel alone with the grandbaby and don't want to run into any seedy characters or have to walk through slimy substances. . . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter