• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Got a ?

AmberI

Mouseketeer
How come I read so many trip reports and someone in almost every story gets sick? Why are there so many sicky in WDW?

Well there may be alot of different reasons but the main ones I can think of would have to be that everyone over does it. They eat way to much, or just more then they are use too, sleep way to little, sometimes the heat gets to ppl if they are not use to it, just the difference in climate. Not to mention all of those ppl who are prob already sick and have already paid for their trip so they force theirself to go and "have fun" then pass the germs along to the others around them...

with the mudd. Too many people out of their enviroment, on the DDP and eating food way to rich and way to much, plus doing the commando routine. We go to Disney, 39th trip this September and we sleep till we wake up, no clock setting and no watches allowed on vacation. We have no where to be at any certain time, no ADR's, we eat just like home, no DDp for us, we break mid afternoon when the heats the worst and don't return to the parks until the sun sets. Washing hands with anti baqcterial crap alot, we're late 50's, so we don't put our hands in our mouths but we take a relaxing approach to WDW.

We pay alot to stay deluxe and enjoy our pool with drinks and picnics the whole day, most every day. I do not eat chicken so thats no problem in the way of mishandled meat. We stroll through the parks and break alot.

I hear of too many people trying to get every dollar out of their trip running themselves ragged and needing a vacation after their stay, there's no reason to stay in any park from opening to close. At a reasonable pace you can see and do alot in WDW, what you miss you do on another trip. We've never had any stomach issues in all our trip but do take some care in being watchful in every respect to hygiene, and cleanlyness and relax and smell the flowers every chance we get. We've seen it all, done it all and we're coming back many times so pushing one vacation to the limits isn't our thing. Our resort is not a place we just shower and sleep, its part of our vacation and hanging around and walking and seeing and smelling and visiting are all part of the experience.

Many communicable infectious diseases are spread by touching inanimate objects. Many people lick their fingers while they eat and there you go they have ingested those microorganisms. Also people lick their fingers and touch buffet serving utensils.

Anywhere you find crowds you will find bacteria and viruses spread not just Disney which is exceptionally clean compared to most other places.

Bring a little bottle of waterless hand gel or those moist towelettes and it will go a long way to reduce your chances of getting sick-anywhere

I have to tell our story about our last trip to DW. On our flight down to Orlando, DH, 39 started with one red eye and some clear drainage. By the time we got to the airport and were waiting on the magic express, both eyes were blood red, draining and swollen. I had him put allergy eye drops in on the way down, but when we got there I knew it was "pink eye." (We had a really late flight!) The next morning, his eyes were 100X worse. So, we called the front desk of our hotel to ask what to do...we didn't have a rental car. So, CM said we could take a taxi to a "nearby" urgent care center or have an MD make a "house call." We opted for the house call...$250 bucks later we had a visit from the MD and eyes drops in hand. :wizard: We were able to file this on our insurance (once we got home). But it was WELL worth the $250 bucks to me because the DD's and I played at the pool while DH waited on the MD to show up. They did give you a two hour time window as to when the doc would arrive. The funny thing is my husband had NEVER had pink eye prior to this! :rotfl2:

God i'm freakin here. I'm a bug hater, have a phobia of germs, I'm alread thinking i'm going to get sick when I go.... I'll be cleaning, and cleaning, and cleaning some more.
Sept i'll have bugs, in Dec i'll have the flu everywhere.
I'll have the love bugs then being around people with the flu.

but my DH and I both have started to be germ phobic when travelling too! We always take a container of disinfectant wipes along and wipe down every possible surface in our hotel room. This is in addition to the hand gel!
BUT, we have not been getting sick while travelling, either!

God i'm freakin here. I'm a bug hater, have a phobia of germs, I'm alread thinking i'm going to get sick when I go.... I'll be cleaning, and cleaning, and cleaning some more.
Sept i'll have bugs, in Dec i'll have the flu everywhere.
I'll have the love bugs then being around people with the flu.

I'm that way too! We just came back from a week at WDW with 2 kids (6 and 9), and I had a bottle of disinfectant gel and wipes in my purse, plus was washing their hands 1000 times a day. I was afraid that someone would get sick, but thank goodness everyone was fine.
We were also on the DDP for the first time, and it was WAY more food that we'd normally eat (we had credits left over, and just took some food with us on the way to the airport for dinner and snacks). But I tried not to overeat and a lot of times we just left/didn't take deserts that came with our lunches/dinners. We also tried to drink lots of water! DH had to stop by medical center for a band-aid, and the nurse there told him that WAY too many people were coming in for dehydration - and it wasn't even that hot there (mid70s - upper80s). So you just have to be careful, take it easy, and remember to exercise common sense!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter