Got a very young kitten question

Rajah

DIS Veteran
Assuming (big assumption) that Skye and Sienna come out of tomorrow's checkup with clean bills of health, we're looking at getting another kitten in the next few months. There's one breeder in particular we're looking at (again, a reminder, I *have* to go through a breeder for this one specific breed for medical purposes). She has one litter of kittens now that are...hmm... I'm not sure how old, but they aren't that old yet. At most a month? Anyway, the two I like the best from that litter have tentative holds put on them right now, but the breeder is suggesting a third kitten which is a girl and a darling one at that.

The problem is this girl has a red and swollen eye. The breeder says she's treating it and it's looking better and she thinks that they eye got infected from something when mamacat was grooming the kitten.

My question is, is a red eye indicative of a much more serious problem, or something that is very common in young kittens and shouldn't be something that should keep us from putting our name down on this little girl? I really don't know and don't trust my judgement on this issue since I'm too close to the situation.

I will be asking him when I see him tomorrow. Just wanted some other input as well today.

Rajah,

Don't really know what advice to give you. Red eyes could be something minor like an infection or something more serious. Also one of the 1st things to check for when choosing a cat is to make sure the eyes are clear and bright.

Could the breeder show something from the vet's showing that it's only a minor infection to but your mind at ease? Or would she let you put a hold on her but on the basis that you get her checked over by your own vet when she is ready to be homed and if there are any problems you can take her back to the breeder?

Know what you mean about being to close to the situation, with my first cat it was instant love despite the fact that she kept biting me when wesaw her. Once I had my mind set nothing was going to change it :D

We first picked our Maine Coons (or they picked us) when they were very young. I don't remember seeing any with eye problems. The only time I have seen it was in an older cat and it ended up being a real problem.

Do you trust this breeder? Can you give your vet a call today? I know I have called and asked questions and they have gotten back to me.

I would ask just to be sure,when I got Doyle and Cordelia from the shelter(mixed breed but there is some tabby in Cordelia) neither of them had red eyes

If it's herpes, she'll have problems with it for life. I would go with a completely different litter. Plus, breeders who medicate their own animals aren't very reputable. It's very negligent for her to have not brought it to a vet.

Dootsie has Herpes, she was born with it and we medicate it when it acts up. Even if I had known this about Dootsie I still would have gotten her! She is my baby! She is the lovingest cat I have!!

Hmm, that's a tough call, Tammy. I think if the eye cleared up you could consider her, but not without a vet's visit and okay. Here are a couple of things I found, don't know if they are relevant or not:

Herpesvirus (feline herpesvirus-1; FHV-1) can cause conjunctivitis ("pink eye") in the cat. Usually cats recover within 14 days of being infected, often without treatment. However, most cats, once infected with FHV-1, will harbor the virus long-term and about half of these "carrier" cats can experience recurrences later in life. Recurrent viral conjunctivitis can sometimes progress to viral keratitis (an inflammatory disease of the cornea, or outer clear shell, of the eye) and keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS), or dry eye. Cats may subsequently develop corneal ulcerations as well. Some cats develop chronic FHV-1-associated conjunctivitis, in which signs of the disease never go away.

There are many other reasons that a cat can develop conjunctivitis and discharge from the eyes. These include allergy, bacterial infection (especially with Chlamydia psittaci and Mycoplasma felis), fungal infection, and other viral infections (especially feline calicivirus), among other causes. Because of this, you will need to have your veterinarian examine your cat. He or she may want to perform other tests depending on what is found on physical examination.

The discharge may be composed of serous fluid with or without pus. When the discharge dries it appears as crusting around the eyes. The eyes are typically blood shot and the affected cat may or may not experience pain.

Affected cats are often treated with topical antibiotic eye drops. This medication is administered to prevent or treat secondary bacterial infections, including those caused by C. psittaci and M. felis, which often accompany FHV-1 infection. Sometimes systemic antibiotics are needed. In severe cases, especially in those that are recurrent or when KCS or chronic conjunctivitis is present, affected cats may also be treated with topical antiviral agents. Cats with KCS may also be given cyclosporine, an immune system suppressor, to attenuate the inflammation associated with this viral infection. Anti-inflammatory agents may be given if pain is present. Lysine, an amino acid, may help to speed recovery. Eyewashes are used to clean the eyes of the discharge.

I recommend that you have your veterinarian examine your cat so that appropriate treatment can be given. It is possible that this problem is not related to the herpes infection that your cat had earlier in life and should therefore be evaluated.

And:

In choosing a new kitten or cat, you should be careful to look for several things that indicate good health and temperament. First of all, the cat should have clear, bright eyes with little or no tearing, and the nostrils should be clean. Runny eyes, sneezing, or a nasal discharge can indicate a respiratory infection. The inside of the ears should be clean and free of any discharge. A black, tar-like discharge in the ear canal usually indicates an ear-mite infestation, while a pus-like discharge is often seen if there is a bacterial or yeast infection. The mouth and gums should be pink, with no evidence of ulcers or sores. The coat should be glossy, and there should be no bare spots, dry skin, dandruff, or any evidence of external parasites. The cat should not be too thin or have a protruding belly, since either condition can indicate the presence of internal parasites or some other medical disorder. If possible, make sure the cat has normal, well-formed feces.

The cat or kitten should be friendly and comfortable with people. A physically sound individual is active, bright, responsive, rambunctious, and eager to join in play. Beware of a cat that frequently runs and hides or sleeps more than normal.

Great that you're getting a new fur baby! :)

Well, it's no discharge, it's "just" a pink eye -- or, rather, pink eyelids. I am concerned about it, though. I don't know if when she said she's "treating it" she meant she's home-treating, or following a vet's treatment, I didn't get a chance to ask her that this afternoon but will tomorrow. (she only has email from work right now)

But in looking at the pictures of that litter, I'm beginning to wonder if she sent me the right picture because if I'm not mistaken, she has the same cat listed as two different cats, and I think she may have had one picture mislabeled. I did email her about that, but haven't gotten an answer yet. And she *did* tell me that one girl from the litter wasn't doing too well -- I'm thinking that's the one she has mislabeled as the one she's telling me about.

So I'm going to see if I can get this cleared up. Find out more info on the cat and the litter and if things aren't answered to our satisfaction, I guess we'll be waiting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter