Got a Cash for Clunkers deal today....

scanmom

DIS Veteran
So, DD really needed a new(er) car. She is driving my old (97) Mercury Villager with about 200,000 miles on it, and it is about to die! So Thursday I stop at the Nissan dealership because I had seen an advertisement for a Versa that was pretty good. The salesman was very hateful and told me that they stopped CFC because "we haven't gotten paid yet for the other cars sold under CFC". So another salesman tells me to check the Hyundai dealership, they may still be doing it. I go there and yes, they are doing it.. but I need a CHEAP car, and they are getting some in Friday night. So Friday, I get all the arrangements made, and this morning we arrived at the Hyundai dealership at 7:15. The shipment of cars arrived about an hour later (they were running late, of course). By this time there were about 6 or 7 customers there to see these cars being delivered! We quickly found the one we wanted, and made a heck of a deal on it... including getting the $4500.00 for CFC, $1500.00 rebate, and some more off for already having 2 Hyundai's and having already bought 2 other cars from this dealer when it was under a different name (the guy knew us). So, by 11:00 am we owned a Hyundai Accent, automatic and with AC, CD player and MP3 jack....total price was $8450.00. Not too bad, huh? DD is thrilled, and now I feel a lot better about her driving around, safety wise! And apparently we just made it before CFC ends! And the dealer sold all those cars that were delivered this morning, so I am glad we made the effort to arrive early!

So, DD really needed a new(er) car. She is driving my old (97) Mercury Villager with about 200,000 miles on it, and it is about to die! So Thursday I stop at the Nissan dealership because I had seen an advertisement for a Versa that was pretty good. The salesman was very hateful and told me that they stopped CFC because "we haven't gotten paid yet for the other cars sold under CFC". So another salesman tells me to check the Hyundai dealership, they may still be doing it. I go there and yes, they are doing it.. but I need a CHEAP car, and they are getting some in Friday night. So Friday, I get all the arrangements made, and this morning we arrived at the Hyundai dealership at 7:15. The shipment of cars arrived about an hour later (they were running late, of course). By this time there were about 6 or 7 customers there to see these cars being delivered! We quickly found the one we wanted, and made a heck of a deal on it... including getting the $4500.00 for CFC, $1500.00 rebate, and some more off for already having 2 Hyundai's and having already bought 2 other cars from this dealer when it was under a different name (the guy knew us). So, by 11:00 am we owned a Hyundai Accent, automatic and with AC, CD player and MP3 jack....total price was $8450.00. Not too bad, huh? DD is thrilled, and now I feel a lot better about her driving around, safety wise! And apparently we just made it before CFC ends! And the dealer sold all those cars that were delivered this morning, so I am glad we made the effort to arrive early!

Several dealerships in MA have stopped the program also. It was just on the news tonight. One owner has sold 77 cars under the program, and hasn't received $1. He is owed close to $350,000. He asked what should he do?? Lay off some of his Salespeople to extend the program??

Congratulations on the new car - may you have many miles of worry free driving!!!!

We had an article in our local news about CFC. Our local dealerships have received very little reimbursement $$. Some have not received any funds. The dealerships usually don't own the cars on the lot. They have them on a 30 day floor plan and must sell/ pay for them or pay interest. With all of the funds tied up, our dealerships are hurting. They will get the money, but need oeprating capital.

Congratulations on the new car!!

Personally I hope the dealers don't get the money. Serves them right for thinking the govt can do something right. Most dealers sold cars at higher prices in July and August just because of the CFC.

Personally I hope the dealers don't get the money. Serves them right for thinking the govt can do something right. Most dealers sold cars at higher prices in July and August just because of the CFC.

I seen that here to I always look at the car & truck ads and when this CFC came out the prices went like 3,000 to 5,000 more then the week befor
what a joke. :lmao::lmao:

i got a GMC acadia right before the CFC deal took effect. The dealer is our friend and advised us to do so, as we received $7500 off on dealer incentives alone that went away once the CFC took place......... weird..... but there are good deals to be had with the CFC, but not with the car we wanted.

People need to be weary though that in their contracts it states that if for any reason they do not get paid from the Gov that the $4500 will be automatically billed back to the customer or placed on their financing....

[/QUOTE] People need to be weary though that in their contracts it states that if for any reason they do not get paid from the Gov that the $4500 will be automatically billed back to the customer or placed on their financing....[/QUOTE]

Wow that's real sweet there LOL. These car dealers build these 40+ mill $
buildings lights on 24/7 50 to 75 guys working & tell us we only make $ 500.00 a sale yea right.

Ron.

i got a GMC acadia right before the CFC deal took effect. The dealer is our friend and advised us to do so, as we received $7500 off on dealer incentives alone that went away once the CFC took place......... weird..... but there are good deals to be had with the CFC, but not with the car we wanted.

People need to be weary though that in their contracts it states that if for any reason they do not get paid from the Gov that the $4500 will be automatically billed back to the customer or placed on their financing....

We asked about this and the dealer assured us that was not the case. We did not sign any contract stating that either.

and we do not have to pay the $4500.00 if the gov messes this up. And as far as pricing... we could have gotten a standard w/o AC for about $5500.00, but we wanted those extras. I checked around... the price was about as good as we were going to get in this area. I feel pretty good about it. And I do hope the dealerships get their promised money from the gov.

I read in a news post on CNN that the reason the dealerships are not getting the money is their own faults. Most of them did not take the time to read the requirements and are making deals that don't qualify and/or not getting all the information they need to get the reimbursements.

I know that when we did our deal we had to provide written documentation of insurance for current and last year, copies of current and prior year registrations and other information and we had to fill out forms certifying that the car qualified I think a lot of dealerships aren't doing this.

BTW - DH read the entire law and he said according to the law they can't try to recoup the money from the buyer if they made a mistake.

I understand that you might be upset about the CFC program, as I know I am not too fond of it as well. But that hit a litte too close for home to me. Both my husband and myself work for a dealership. We have sold 80 cars with cash for clunkers, if our dealership doesnt get that money.....all 50 of us that work there well be out of a job!!!! It isn't my fault our owner said we had to participate. BTW NONE of us like this Cash for Clunkers. It is a pain in the behind!

I understand that you might be upset about the CFC program, as I know I am not too fond of it as well. But that hit a litte too close for home to me. Both my husband and myself work for a dealership. We have sold 80 cars with cash for clunkers, if our dealership doesnt get that money.....all 50 of us that work there well be out of a job!!!! It isn't my fault our owner said we had to participate. BTW NONE of us like this Cash for Clunkers. It is a pain in the behind!

I understand your concern but if $360,000 puts them out of business then they have bigger issues. That amount should be reduced by the amount the dealer increased the price during this "sale". Now owners may use this as a chance to file bankrupcy and leave with more cash than 4-5 months ago but just depends on your type of owner.

How many of those cars would your dealership have sold?? I doubt they would have come close to the 80, so you could have lost your job just on lack of sales.

I wanted to buy a car, but they didn't have any left!!! I am waiting for the promo to be over, adn the inventory to come back up, and see how many dealers are gonna call me to come buy!! I know if the price is right I will...but if not..oh well.. I will drive my car into the ground!

My bet is that car prices will drop later this year as everyone who wanted to buy a car has already done so this year, and the lots will be dead from here on out. It's just like the cash stimulus last year, it was good for 6-12 weeks, then things tanked again. We'll see the same or worse in the auto industry.

We got a GMC Acadia also. One of the best cars I have ever owned with great power, handling and comfort. It has room for all six of us and I would recommend it to anyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter