• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Got a call from WDW Executive Offices concerning my email to them

DVCers who book between the 11 and 7 month window at their home resort should get request preference. Seems fair to me, if you pay the dues and taxes there, you should get preference on requests.

Jaysue- she did say that she will pass on my concerns to both the DVC and the BC. She did specifically mention the condition of the furniture in the lobby and that she was surprised that it would be in this condition considering BC furniture is newer then BWV's (I compared the 2 because we stayed at both) She made it sound as though they would be more concerned about this- which is fine because to be honest with you, that is the reason I wrote the email- the lobby furniture in the BC was in bad shape and I wanted them to know that it was dirty and really worn on the piping of the cushions- the piping was sticking through.
Goofy4tink- you can ask for anything at check in- but don't be surprised if it's not available. When we checked in in January at both the BCV and BWV- our rooms had been preassigned- and neither room could be changed. (I think this added to my confusion of not getting the requseted view - because I was under the impression that rooms were assigned on a first come first serve basis- I was there at 9:30 am that morning to check in- if ever a room was available- it would've been then- even if people hadn't checked out yet.) At OKW last Oct.- my room was preassigned, but when I checked in, I asked for a bldg. change and I was given a bldg. change- so- ya never know. I say it never hurts to ask! But you should still put those requests on your ressie.

A pool view, i think alot of dvc members would have been happy, much better then a dumpster view:eek:

We were very happy with the pool view- and I mentioned that in my email.

Originally posted by ClarabelleCow
If you do call - Ask about the Vero rumor!!!! ;)

Rumor, what do you mean rumor. I thought if it was posted anonymously to a public forum on the Internet it was immediately and undeniably a fact. My whole world view is now screwed up. :cool2:

As to requests, I still think that what had started as a courtesy/good relations gesture on the part of the resorts has now been so blown out of proportion by possibly unreasonable expectations fueled by the ever increasingly easy information dissemination on the Internet that the entire concept should go back to the standard hotel system of smoking/non-smoking. If you can then politely social engineer the CM at check-in to get the room you want, so be it, but overtinking the reservations systems to prepetuate what might be perceived as an entitlement isn't exactly the best allocation of resources. I'd rather they paint the places more often.

So long as I get my preferred room anyway. :cool2:

-Joe

Heck, we're going to be happy with any room we get when we go home to SSR for the first time - of course, it'd be nice if our NS request is honored, but even the smoking rooms can't be too stinky 5 days after they open!
Originally posted by msdis
Unfortunately these boards have made us all a little more demanding, given us all a little higher expectations, made us jealous of those who get perfect rooms, and made us feel like we are missing something or being treated poorly for various reasons. Think if you never saw any of this information, we would all be blissfully happy.:teeth:
Oh, too true! When I was researching our Polynesian stay last fall, I found a site for that resort that, while very helpful and run by a great guy, unfortunately fostered the 'perfect room' attitude - people were looking for specific room numbers to ask for - and to avoid, as there was a little more shrubbery in front of the window.

But thanks for letting them know about your concerns - and for sharing their response.

Added: I agree with Joe - do it like Las Vegas: you book "run of the house" with only smoking/non-smoking as the choice (unless you pay for the upgrade). Then you sweet-talk/beg/tip the clerk to get a higher floor, better view .... ;)

I agree that expectations from the Internet have probably created a nightmare for the front desk staff at all WDW resorts. From expecting the "perfect" room (sometimes based on what they read on the Internet not actual experience) to not understanding why they aren't upgraded from All-Star to the Commodore Suite at the Yacht Club. ;)

Even what seems fairly straightforward -- give the members priority -- becomes problematic. Should a member who booked at 11 months but then sold the reservation for $100 per night have his guest get the best room? Or should that go to the "real" member. Even then, how do you differentiate between someone who is getting a "deal" and the member's parents who are using the reservation and really should get the same benefit accorded the member? And the renter who is paying $150 per night for the one-bedroom that another person has rented through Disney for $425 per night -- who gets the better room?

I agree -- Disney should probably go back to just giving non-smoking, smoking preferences so that their employees can save on therapy. ;)

Count me as one of the people who would rather have a pool view than an Epcot view at BCV. We've never really cared much about the room view, we spend the majority of our time out and about anyway. We have always had good luck when requesting a no smoking pool view room. I see enough of Epcot and the fireworks from nside the park or on the bridge.

I think that as the DVC membership continues to grow, it will become impossible to grant requests other than smoking/non-smoking. Even that may not always be possible. Speaking of which, I was surprised to read that someone at OKW said they do not have the ozone machine to purify the room. When we got a smoking grand villa, they used an ozone machine to cleanse the smoke while we went to the park. Maybe they have since stopped using them since their use does present some hazards.

Room reservations and room requests are two different things. Room requests are filled usually shortly before arrival. Other than non-smoking I don't beleive you can expect to get what you want with the exception of those rooms at BWV that cost more because of the view. At any rate I hae been a member since 95 and quite frankly don't request rooms with a certain view because at OKW I believe they are all beautiful, but at any rate after a few visits I would think it won't matter that much to you either. My advice is do not put much into a view request-if you are a non smoker or handicapped in anyway then certain rooms would be and should be given to you. Remember with the exception of those few rooms at BWV all the rooms cost the same at all of the DVC resorts regardless of the views. Views at DVC are not on the price list, therefore are just not that import to bother with.

Reminds me of our first stay as a DVC member at OKW in 96! We got a first floor room with a view of multiple air conditioning compressors! After passing all the other buildings with water and golf course views I was very disappointed.

Fortunately the next visit was a canal view that I fell in love with!

Larry

Originally posted by KathyR
I think what they mean is that at the same time the resort gets our ressies (as stated 10 days before arrival), they also get the requests that we made via MS.

They are not telling us to fax requests ahead of time. Just stating when they are received by the resort.

Yes that is what she is saying as that is what happens. Requests should be given to Member Services at the time of booking, no guarantees. Most Member Service employees will remind you of that, some don't. At about 10 days out, actually it's closer to 5 days out, the reservations are downloaded into the computer at the resort along with any requests that were made at the time of the booking.

Then the nightmare begins for the room assigner of trying to make hundreds of guests happy all wanting the exact same thing. It's a hard, hard job.

Can you call the front desk the morning of check in to get your room assignment?

We will not be arriving until about 7 pm on Dec 18th. We have a 2 BR and a studio at WLV. Our reservations were made with the requests of NS, Water/Pool view, and to be close to each other.

It sounds like with the room ready policy if I wait until I get there we will get whats left and will most likely not have rooms near each other. We really need them to be located fairly close as we will be putting 2 young kids to bed in the studio while adults remain in the two bedroom living area. We plan to use a monitor but we wouldn't feel comfortable with this if we are far apart or on different floors.

Any suggestions? Since this is the week before Christmas would they preassign the rooms?

Originally posted by Northwoods
....We have a 2 BR and a studio at WLV. .....we will be putting 2 young kids to bed in the studio while adults remain in the two bedroom living area.
Just curious why you wouldn't put the young children asleep in the second bedroom of a 2 BR rather than in a separate studio? I don't think I would be comfortable placing two small children in a separate studio and leaving them alone even with a monitor.

Family logistics are the reason. We have one family of 4 - DSinL, DBinL, DN (5) on the couch and DN(2) in crib in the studio. The Self, DH, DD (13) floor/couch, DS(9), DBinL, and Father-in-law all in the 2 Bedroom.

If the room locations don't work out DSinL or DBinL will have to hang out in the studio. Or try to move them after they are asleep.

Originally posted by Northwoods
If the room locations don't work out DSinL or DBinL will have to hang out in the studio. Or try to move them after they are asleep.
Good luck on getting your request.:bounce:
Even is you have to move the kids after they are asleep, they will be so worn out, they won't wake up I'll bet. And no matter what enjoy your trip because you'll be at Disney!!!!

Northwoods,

I think that they usually try to pre-assign units when you request units near each other. Of course, there is always the possibility that there are absolutely NO units next to each other after people check out that morning.

I would make sure that the request is noted on BOTH reservations and that this request is at the top of the list or second after NS.

When we request having units near each other, they are always pre-assigned. We have better luck getting units really near each other at OKW. We had 3 units all located in the same OKW building even though the check-in date for one of the units was for 4 days later. Next trip we got 2 units next to each other at OKW.

At BCV, we had 3 units close to one another. All the units were near the lobby on the first floor. One unit was diagonally across the hall from the first and the 3rd unit was the first room on the opposite wing across the lobby. But they were all still "close" to each other and we had no problems meeting up with each other.

Good luck with your requests and have a great trip.

I reserved at the 11 month window and requested non smoking and EPCOT view 2 br villa

I booked last November and requested a BW view, and was called a few months before my reservation to let me know that I was now guarenteed a BW view.

I think, the problem may have been, that you put EPCOT View....what is that?

Anyhow, they now have BW view and non-BW view when you make your reservation. If you want that courtyard view, I think that might be non-boardwalk, but I'm not sure. To me, it seems more like BW view.

But, 3 of us made reservation for perferred studios for November this past year. 2 of us requested BW view and got the letter stating that we will be getting a BW view room, but the other one did not get a letter, and she had requested courtyard view.

So, I'm wondering if your request got overlooked because you asked for a view that really isn't a view at the BW? They could only see BW and non-BW views. When they checked who requested a BW view first and changed those reservations, they might have only searched for BW view.

Just guessing.

Oops, thought you were talking about the BoardWalk, not Beach Club...sorry.

Although, I've tried to get the EPCOT view at BC, no go. I figured it's because there are so few rooms at BC that have a EPCOT view (most have that wonderful small highway view), that my chances of getting it are slim to none! I still request it though.

Good luck...!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter