• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Got 7:30 ressies at Rose and Crown/What are my chances...

daisylove

<font color=purple>Met a DISboard Celebrity!<br><f
to get a lakeside table for illuminations in early december? Any tips or suggestions?

DGF and I have 7:50 PS on in late Nov. and are hoping for the best. This will be my third time having dinner at R&C...the first time our P.S. was for 8:00 pm and we got lucky and were seated on the patio. The last time I hade a 7:45 pm and had to settle for inside....It seems to be completely random...dumb luck..hit and miss...:rolleyes: All you can really do is ask when you check in.
Lets keep our fingers crossed!

When we went in January, either we just hit it on a bad night or they are really cracking down. The host was borderline rude to me when he pulled up my ps and saw that it had been notated with a patio request. We patiently waited close to 20 minutes and got an inside seat. Normally, I wouldn't have minded, but it was one of the tables that's along the back window. They had a small table for 2 squished in between other tables and one person had to sit on the window bench. I can not sit on those benches. No matter what, I either sink in or it's too high and I have to sit right on the edge in order to eat my meal. They are just not comfortable. So, we angered the hostess by refusing the table and asking to wait for the next available. We did end up outside, but it was as far back under the awning that you could get and we didn't see anything but the globe and low fireworks. Our appetizer ended up being served with our meal and it just wasn't one of our best experiences there. As the previous poster mentioned, I think it's just hit or miss.

Tammi

We had 8pm PS for this past Monday evening. Planning to check in at 7:30 (to maybe better our chances for outdoor seating), we arrived to find about 10-15 people in line to check in. I looked around at the outdoor seating and saw that much of the area, like the previous poster said, didn't look to have a great view. I then just imagined that everyone in line was making the same request, "patio seating". So, we decided to not waste 30 minutes to an hour waiting on the chance that we may get a good view.

Instead, we went to the counter service in Mexico and got a great table with a great view. The food was good (and less expensive I might add).

Not trying to discourage you from R&C, just know there are other options available.

I was hoping to do this with 7:30 ps as well. Are there just a few good patio seats so even if you get outside you can't see? Would we be better off just eating at 7:00 (anywhere) and finding a spot to stand outside? This is for my mom's 70th b-day, I was origianlly going to take her to Chefs de France then find a spot outside for the show, but thought R&C would be more relaxed.

Decisions, decisions!

The majority of the outside tables do have a nice view of the fireworks, but there are some that have a limited view. If I had to guess, I'd say 70% are good. There's just no guarantee, but if you do get an Illuminations view table, there is nothing in the park to compare. You feel like you are literally sitting on top of the fireworks barge, it's that close.

Tammi

I agree with the other posters - a lot of it is pure luck. I also think it depends on the time of year that you're visiting. My husband and I were at WDW last October and we had PS for 6PM at Rose and Crown (we couldn't get anything later than that). We got a patio table and they weren't very busy and we were having such a good time with our server that we ended up asking him if we coud stay for Illuminations without getting him in trouble.

Bless his heart, he said, "it's my table and if I say you can stay, then you can stay."

We had a huge bill by the end of the night - a long, leisurely dinner with appetizers and desert and lots of Boddington's to wash it all down. It was worth every penny and it was one of the best evenings of our entire trip. :D

Of course, I know that if we had tried that on a busy night or if we had been there during the "high" season we would never have been able to have that 3 1/2 hour dining experience at the pub with Jeremy from Wales.

Good luck - I hope you get that patio table and a fabulous server!

DH turned 50 last year, and R&C was his choice for his birthday dinner. We made PS ressies for 7:40, I think, and had the 50th b-day noted on the ressie. That day, we stopped at the podium to ask if there was anything special we could do to assure a patio seat, and they said they would try their best but couldn't promise anything. Again they made a note on the ressie.

When we finally arrived 10 minutes ahead of the ressie time, they said they would try and the wait might be a few minutes longer, to which we said, "no problem". We were able to enjoy the British Invasion playing a set (they do Beatles music for those unfamiliar) while we waited for our pager to buzz. Finally at 8:00, just as the music was over, we got called back, and they seated us on the patio with a perfect view. It was wonderful and DH had his wish.

I will note that everytime we spoke to the hosts and hostesses, we were pleasant and friendly, and asked rather than demanded. This is such a popular request that no doubt they get tired of the repeated inquiries and demands.

And one final tip - at the opposite end of the R&C building, to the right of the Fish & Chips take out window, there is patio seating that is fairly hidden by shrubs. We watched Illuminations from there 2 other nights of that trip during the F&WF, and it only got crowded right before 9:00. Both times we got a table to sit at about 10 to 15 minutes prior, and the view was excellent!

Does anyone know the table sizes on the patio? Are they all for large groups, or are there some 2-seaters, as well?

Thanks,

Doug

They seat a variety of party sizes. In my post above, there were only 2 of us, and we've seen huge parties there (10 or 12) as well as groups of 4 & 6. Perhaps they can push tables together if need be?

We will be calling in for PS at our 90 day window for R&C and if we get good seats for the show great, if not then we will eat quickly and move to somewhere we can see the show from.

Isn't that the patio area (next to the take out window) that is often booked by private parties and roped off? Or is this a different area that I haven't heard of before?

Would anyone do the patio for 7:30 or later reservations during early January? Is it too cold at that time of night in January (even in Florida)? Just curious.

Thanks,
Bruce::MickeyMo

We go every year in January due to the low attendance and it can get a little chilly at night but with long pants, a light jacket and beers from around the world we have enjoyed many late night outings with little to no concern for the weather.

The only bad part about going in January is you do have to pack for two seasons because during the day it is short/tee shirt weather but once the sun goes down it can change rapidly.

When we were there this past January, they were using those propane heaters on the patio and it was very comfortable sitting out there.

Tammi

Originally posted by RebelHawk
....but with long pants, a light jacket and beers from around the world we have enjoyed many late night outings with little to no concern for the weather.

BEER IS GOOD!!!:bounce: :Pinkbounc :jester: ::yes:: :wave2:

Thanks,
Bruce::MickeyMo

I am hoping that it is a little cool this Dec. Way down here in So Fla it seeems like we never get cold weather or even cool. You would be surprised at the difference even going north to Disney makes. I have already started picking up all this cute winter stuff for DD and family and I really want to be able to use it this trip. So outside at R&C sounds good for us. I am hoping for a very christmas-y trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter