Gorilla Pods - Are you using them and which cameras?

godders

DIS Veteran
Hi all, thinking of getting one of these as it's easier than lugging my giant tripod around but wondering how people thought they went in the parks?

I've got a big Nokia D800 so I'm worried it might be a little too heavy for it?

Pros? Cons? Any photo examples would be a bonus!

TIA

You just need to get the gorilla pod built for larger cameras.
I do find they are best for small and mid-sized cameras, because then the tripod is small enough to fit in your pocket.

The pros -- Ultimate flexibility. Always having a tripod at the ready, without carrying a big cumbersome thing.
The cons -- It can actually be really difficult to totally level a gorilla pod. Once you start bending those legs, it is difficult to ever get it totally level.
You don't get any height with it. Not always easy to find someplace to use it for an appropriate height. Though you can get some really interesting perspectives using it on the ground.

These were all taken with gorilla pod and Sony A6300:

Gringotts Banks by Adam Brown, on Flickr

Leaving Hogsmeade by Adam Brown, on Flickr

Hogsmeade at Night by Adam Brown, on Flickr

I do find they are best for small and mid-sized cameras, because then the tripod is small enough to fit in your pocket.

The pros -- Ultimate flexibility. Always having a tripod at the ready, without carrying a big cumbersome thing.
The cons -- It can actually be really difficult to totally level a gorilla pod. Once you start bending those legs, it is difficult to ever get it totally level.
You don't get any height with it. Not always easy to find someplace to use it for an appropriate height. Though you can get some really interesting perspectives using it on the ground

Those are some amazing photos! Really must get some practice on this HDR stuff haha. I'm not the sort of person that can go to the parks without a bag so that's not a problem.

Those are some amazing photos! Really must get some practice on this HDR stuff haha. I'm not the sort of person that can go to the parks without a bag so that's not a problem.

Thank you but none of those shots are HDR. Just long exposure, processed with care.

You don't get any height with it. Not always easy to find someplace to use it for an appropriate height. Though you can get some really interesting perspectives using it on the ground.

These were all taken with gorilla pod and Sony A6300:

Gringotts Banks by Adam Brown, on Flickr

Leaving Hogsmeade by Adam Brown, on Flickr

Hogsmeade at Night by Adam Brown, on Flickr

Stunning shots!

I like the gorillapods in theory but the one I need for my DSLR with zoom lens is nearly as heavy and bulky as my travel tripod and doesn't extend at all. I also take a lot of videos and tried using the gorillapod as a video "harness" of sorts but it doesn't really work that well for that either. I ended up this trip just using a monopod that fit into my camera bag better and although I still got some jitters on the video I was able to place it on a garbage can and "voila" I'm above even the kids on parents shoulders! :D

Now I will say that if you have a smaller camera or a p&s the gorilla pods (especially those with the magnetic feet) are great.

I like the gorillapods in theory but the one I need for my DSLR with zoom lens is nearly as heavy and bulky as my travel tripod and doesn't extend at all. I also take a lot of videos and tried using the gorillapod as a video "harness" of sorts but it doesn't really work that well for that either. I ended up this trip just using a monopod that fit into my camera bag better and although I still got some jitters on the video I was able to place it on a garbage can and "voila" I'm above even the kids on parents shoulders! :D

Now I will say that if you have a smaller camera or a p&s the gorilla pods (especially those with the magnetic feet) are great.

I agree, gorillapods are for the smaller cameras
I use one of those cheap extendable tripods on a small pocket-size mirrorless for long exposures
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Even for smaller cameras, there seem to be a lot of options. Or maybe it's just Amazon's inability to merge listings from third parties that differ only in spelling.

So, any suggestions for my new Panasonic LUMIX sz50? I already have a rigid, pocket sized tripod, but its legs don't have great traction, so it moves too easily on smooth surfaces like trash cans. Or would I just be trading one set of issues for another?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter