GOPRO at Dive Quest?

HeyKoolaid

Mermaid off the port bow!
We are planning on diving at Epcot's Dive Quest this May. Can we use our Gopro on the dive? I know Disney is very restrictive about what you can take on the dive.

Our family has done Dive Quest x5 now and have not been able to take an underwater camera for pics. I have never tried to take a GoPro camera though.

The dive is fantastic, really feels like you are part of the guest experience. My teens especially love playing with the kids watching the tank.

My dad and stepmother, both experienced scuba divers with their own dive shop with classes and certifications plus captains licenses and dives all around the world did this adventure once. With all their experience and thousands of dives, the Dive Quest still ranks as a top thee dives of all time (over thirty years experience). They said they had to remember they weren't out somewhere and "regular" people could see them. So I'm not sure you would be concerned about a camera while down there. The whole dive is recorded and if I were you, I'd just let someone else do the filming and you enjoy the dive.

I was told NO when I called about it... We were told only a watch not even jewlery like your wedding band or a hair tie was allowed. HOWEVER we did find a underwater camera watch on ebay that works good for I think $80, we didn't end up doing it though because I got pregnant.

I can see them forbidding the go pro since they want you to buy their video. I did dive quest many years ago when they gave you the video on a vhs tape. How much does it cost to dive there now?

They do not let you take anything of your own down other than your bathing suit, or haven't the last two times I've done it. They even made me take my band out of my braid and gave me one of their own to put in. The environment for the fish is very controlled and they don't want anything to make it out of whack.

It's $170.00 per person now. After reviewing the website, I figured they wouldn't let me take the go pro, but you never know. I will likely end up buying the DVD. I like how alleysetraskos thinks with the watch idea, but we will probably just enjoy the dive and let disney do their thing.

So I'm not sure you would be concerned about a camera while down there.

Most people I know just strap on the GoPro and let it recorded what they are seeing the whole time. It's a "set and forget" type of thing for the most part. That's how I'd use it anyway. Turn it on when I got my suit on and then not touch it till the dive was complete. GoPro3 and 4 can record for over 2 hours non stop on a single battery, much longer than the DiveQuest.

You definitely, can not take your Gopro on the dive itself. You can however take it with you and film any of the "onstage" parts of the tour(which is actually very little). Once "backstage", it will have to be put away. Other than your bathing suit, you may bring your own mask and a dive watch/computer. I brought my D9. Any jewelry or small items that can potentially come off, can not be worn. We were told of several instances in the past where the aquarium inhabitants have swallowed small items off the bottom thinking they were food. Not all the outcomes were favorable. As mentioned, a 15 minute or so edited video is made by Disney cm's and is available for purchase for $35. Also, there will be an opportunity, just before you head to the top of the aquarium for family to take pictures at the viewing windows. And of course they can take video from there of you during the dive.

The reasons that Disney restricts you to a mask and bathing suit only are these.
1 is liability. If everyone started bringing there own gear (regs etc) Disney can't prove when the last service was reliability etc.
2nd is that most regs sets have a safe second or October that could potentially dangle and do harm to the environment. Or a Guage set.

It's $170.00 per person now. After reviewing the website, I figured they wouldn't let me take the go pro, but you never know. I will likely end up buying the DVD. I like how alleysetraskos thinks with the watch idea, but we will probably just enjoy the dive and let disney do their thing.

I think that's a good idea. I highly doubt you will be disappointed with the DVD. If you have family traveling with you but not doing the dive, take them along when you check in for the dive. They will be told when and where to be during the dive and they will also be included on the DVD.

Another thing to consider is potential pathogens/parasites traveling on gear--I know several locations across the U.S. that have had problems with their staff wearing their own gear into tanks (that they had used while diving out in the open ocean) and introducing bugs. Obviously, this refers more to BCDs than a GoPro, but something to think about. They did give us ladies special hair bands and had us remove any jewelry/bobby pins, etc.

I did DiveQuest last year, and it was seriously the best dive I've ever done. I'm still telling my friends about it. You won't be disappointed with the DVD, and the great part about is the fact that they donate all the proceeds to the wildlife conservation fund.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter