Goofy challengers out there? Of coures there are!

First time Goofy, looking for guidance from vets.

I know that the sweepers operate on 16:00/mile measured from the point at which the last person stops. In other words, if you start the race 2 minutes before the last person, you are allowed 16:00/mile plus the two minute buffer without getting swept (in theory).

However, I was looknig at the Goofy race instructions, and it says that the Goofy medal will be awarded once they verify you have completed both races within the "allotted times". What that says to me is they will consider your net time (in other words, a strict 16:00/mile), not 16:00/mile plus the buffer.

I conclude from reading this that you can actually finish both races, collect your medals, and still not be Goofy-eligible if, say in the above scenario, you finish the half in 3:31.

Have I got this right? I'm not trying to skirt any rule in any way. The only reason I want to get this right is that my thought had been to try to start near the front of my (admittedly last) corral to try to take advantage of even a small buffer. If my take on this is right, it really makes no difference where I start in the corral because the buffer ultimately does me little good.

Sorry to be uber-technical on this, but I'm working with a small margin for error and I want to make sure my (limited) strategic decisions are sound. In English, I'm trying to figure out how many photo stops I can get away with given my 14:30 pace. Thanks.

They just hand you the medal, and don't verify your times. If you have a Goofy bib on, and you cross the finish line, you get a Goofy medal. I assume that you could still get a Goofy medal (although not ethical) if you had a Goofy bib, but just finished the Marathon and either skipped the Half or got swept from the Half. The buffer is going to work the same as any race, so the sweeping rules don't apply any differently to the Goofy Challengers.

It is a natural concern because I know Disney has all these warnings about keeping a certain pace (or else!). Though then thinking about it, there are about 20000 or so runners in the full and who would have time to check someones time as they crossed the finish line - before they got their Goofy medal - without causing some kind of backed up chaos. But I totally get the concern.

BTW I see on facebook that there two Mickey Mouse full marathon medals...or is that not correct. Looks like a color one and a black and white with an older style Mickey. Are they alternating medals to finsihers? Some get the color and some get the b/w...Or was that just some kind of a photo promo. Just curious. No matter, I actually like both.

It is a natural concern because I know Disney has all these warnings about keeping a certain pace (or else!). Though then thinking about it, there are about 20000 or so runners in the full and who would have time to check someones time as they crossed the finish line - before they got their Goofy medal - without causing some kind of backed up chaos. But I totally get the concern.

BTW I see on facebook that there two Mickey Mouse full marathon medals...or is that not correct. Looks like a color one and a black and white with an older style Mickey. Are they alternating medals to finsihers? Some get the color and some get the b/w...Or was that just some kind of a photo promo. Just curious. No matter, I actually like both.

The center spins - one side is color, the other b/w.

First Goofy (and first Disney run), have a few half's and fulls under my belt. Plan on running the half for time and the full for fun. Nursing an achilles tendon issue from the Runners world hat trick and looking forward to making the full an "event" not a race.

My plan last year was to run at training pace between characters, and take short breaks while in line for photos. I did so much better than I expected doing this and had a blast! People ask all the time why I would want to run over 39 miles in a weekend, and how that is 'fun.' I just enjoyed every bit of my entry fee and didn't stress about the clock.

First time Goofy, looking for guidance from vets.

I know that the sweepers operate on 16:00/mile measured from the point at which the last person stops. In other words, if you start the race 2 minutes before the last person, you are allowed 16:00/mile plus the two minute buffer without getting swept (in theory).

However, I was looknig at the Goofy race instructions, and it says that the Goofy medal will be awarded once they verify you have completed both races within the "allotted times". What that says to me is they will consider your net time (in other words, a strict 16:00/mile), not 16:00/mile plus the buffer.

I conclude from reading this that you can actually finish both races, collect your medals, and still not be Goofy-eligible if, say in the above scenario, you finish the half in 3:31.

Have I got this right? I'm not trying to skirt any rule in any way. The only reason I want to get this right is that my thought had been to try to start near the front of my (admittedly last) corral to try to take advantage of even a small buffer. If my take on this is right, it really makes no difference where I start in the corral because the buffer ultimately does me little good.

Sorry to be uber-technical on this, but I'm working with a small margin for error and I want to make sure my (limited) strategic decisions are sound. In English, I'm trying to figure out how many photo stops I can get away with given my 14:30 pace. Thanks.

Shelby is correct, since getting rid of the wrist band, there has been little checking to make sure one ran the half under 3:30 . In 2012, I think you were handed a Goofy based on having a bib, alone. Though, I believe in the 2011 goofy (first year with no wrist bands) there was some checking to assure that you had completed the half... no time component to that check but there were folks with lists checking off runners as medals were hand out.

I would not bet my Goofy on the volunteers not verifying the half as I think 2012 was a case of bad coaching of the volunteers or bad execution on producing the list. Prior to 2011, we all stood on line while wrist bands were checked and cut off. In the past it has been just like the regular race, if you cross the line, you are handed a medal, regardless of the time component.

Kind of rambling here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter