Me ( 38 ) - Lover of all things Disney and obsessive planner
DH ( 39 ) - Work-a-holic, hates planning anything
The Princess ( 8 ) - The Fuzzy Princess, the ruler of the roost

Extras:
CM at Pop Century Food Court
Wonderful CM Brenda
Another Wonderful CM Fred
And another one at Everything Pop

Act 5 - Movies, Mountains of Munchies and MGM!

Scene 1 - The Call or 'Tower of Terrified'

"GET UP GET UP GET UP - NO SLEEPING!!!!" The Princess groaned and slammed the phone back on the hook. You know, Stitch needs an attitude adjustment - nobody should be that darn happy to see 9 am on a vacation Tuesday.

Yes, that's right, NINE am. At Disney. Commando Nikki just got the urge to blow her whistle and doesnt know why.

They made me promise I wouldn't go commando on vacation. It was a difficult thing to do, but I agreed. However, 9 am is as late as my Disney addled mind will allow anyone to sleep. Today we're going to MGM and I have a date with the Tower!

I came out of the shower and was greeted with snoring - from both beds. "UP UP UP - GOTTA GO - GET UP NOWWWWWWW!!!" Hey! You almost hit me with that pillow!

I finally drug everyone out of vacation induced comas and get them going. The Princess searches for that gift she KNOWS is there somewhere and spots it under the window.

Dear The Princess,

I heard you had a lot of fun yesterday at the Wonderland Tea party. I hope you took a whole lot of pictures!

Today I was told are going to Disney Studios, where you will get to ride lots of fun rides based on different movies. My favorite is the Rock –N– Roller Coaster. It flies faster than I do!

Hope you have a great time, and don’t forget your manners when you go to Prime Time Café for lunch!

Today’s gift is a pair of Aurora sunshades, princess lip balm, stuffed Minnie and some candy.

While she's tearing into the goodies, I pulled out the infamous bag from Downtown Disney. I pull out all 8 tee-shirts and the receipt. Wow - that was a great deal! Then I look closer. In hand - 8 tee-shirts. Receipt - 5 tee-shirts.

What I failed to mention is that the very nice CM at World of Disney had a very interesting lanyard of pins last night. The Princess is full swing into pin-trading now and there’s not a safe place for a CM at Disney to get away from her. I tell ya, the kid can see the sparkle of a pin on a CM lanyard from 500 yards. So, in the brouhaha of pin trading, we ended up not paying for 3 tee-shirts.

I called down to the Everything Pop store and told them what happened. I asked the CM if I could come pay for the other 3 shirts there or if I had to go all the way back to DTD.

Silence.

Then the CM says, "Oh my heavens, I have never had someone call to ask where they can pay for stuff they got free. I've been a CM for over 20 years and you are the first. How honest!"

I explained to her that I felt that getting something for nothing is stealing and its not how I was raised. So she tells me I can just pay for it there at the Everything Pop store at my convenience.

My convenience is some other time, because it's time to head to MGM!

We grabbed our stuff and headed out the door, down the stairs by the 8-track tape and over to the bus stops. We round the corner and see a huge line - for MGM.

Figures. 0 - 2 . I'm doing great!!

The bus pulls up and starts loading the wheelchairs and EVCs. And there's a lot of them. A whole lot of them. So many of them that they call a second bus to come help and it's filled too. The third bus pulls up and it's still standing room only. We squeeze into the bus, find a spot to hold on to and off to MGM. I'm a country girl - we don't have our personal space invaded like this! So I was somewhat shocked to feel a hand on my butt. I turned around and saw a kid. Either Jr. is a little advanced for his age or his Mickey Mouse has wandering hands. I know I felt little palms on my rear at least 3 times during that trip!

We finally make it to MGM - I jump off the bus and flung my arms out to declare my personal space again and nearly take out some poor old lady with a rolling cart. I look up and DH and The Princess are quickly making their way to the front gate, ignoring me the entire way.

It's twelve o'clock noon, as we get in line for security. Once we get past bag check and through the turnstiles, we are greeted with the giant hat.

All embarrassment is eliminated as we pose for yet another obligatory shot.
mgm1.jpg

So where to first?

Contrary to Official Unofficial Strict Disney Park Touring Instructions, we go right and stop for another photopass opportunity.

There it is... The Tower. I can feel drool dripping down the side of my face as I hear its siren's call.... Diznenut.. comeee... commmmmeeeeeeeee....

A little aside here : I have a horrible fear of heights. I also have a horrible fear of elevators. I was once trapped in one at a hospital for 3 hours and almost had to be committed afterwards. I know this, yet I HAVE to ride the tower. It’s about this time I realize I have a suicidal nature and am, in fact, trying to kill myself.

Thru the adrenaline induced stupor, I hear my name being called. DH wanted me to take a picture of The Princess next to a movie poster.

DISNEY2005-385.JPG

There, picture took, let’s GO!

I am a thrill ride junkie. I love them. REALLY love them. Cannot stand heights. Hate flying. LOVE thrill rides. I think it's my mind trying to kill me. I get a glazed look in my eyes - hearing the call and my feet are walking on their own accord. We pass the Beauty and the Beast theatre and get pulled in as the show was about to start.

Sighs. My obsession will have to wait.

DISNEY2005-404.JPG

The show was very good. The Princess sang along with the performers and was totally enchanted by the costumes. I even forgot about the Tower for a few moments and joined in. Applause Applause. Ok let’s go.

Directly over to Rock n Roller Coaster.

ARGHHHHH!!!

Here my brain is trying to get me killed and they postpone it, again. Well ok but next one is The Tower, or someone is going to get hurt!

Into the RNR building and into the studio. Hey it’s Aerosmith! They order the limo, and we go through to the boarding area.

HOLY COW!

A full car of screaming people shoot past us and off into the dark. The Princess looks at me and grins. The kid loves roller coasters! 5 minute wait in line and we’re buckled in and ready to go.

DH hates roller coasters. Despises anything that goes fast that he has no control over. The ride ends and he is screaming “YEAH BABY! THAT WAS FRICKIN AWESOME!” The Princess is begging us to go again. I consider it but as the last strands of “Love in an Elevator” ended, I again heard the call. COMMMMMEEEEEE

We can do it again later. Come on I’m ready to ride the Tower! We exit the building, round the corner and I come face to face with the object of my demise.

DISNEY2005-386.JPG

My date with destiny cannot be denied any longer. DH likes roller coasters. He does not, however, like falling, so he decides to sit on the bench outside Rock n Roller Coaster and wait on me and the princess to ride the Tower.

I practically drug her to the entrance, little shivers going up and down my spine. This is one of those things I have really been waiting on. We pass through the doors and find no lines. Shoot through the lobby, barely taking a moment to glance at the surroundings and into the briefing area. The Princess gets a little nervous and takes my hand. We head into the boiler room.

The Princess takes one look at the red boiler and looses it. She decides she's not as brave as she thought. Ok, before you start slamming me, I was NOT responsible for my actions. And, in my defense, I did whip out the cell phone and call DH to get him to come get her, but he wouldn't answer the phone. I was torn on what to do. I'm still harboring an adrenaline high like a junkie on a 3 day fix and did the unthinkable. I talked her into going with me.

We boarded the elevator and I put her on the end next to the wall, thinking it wouldn't be quite so bad there and she would have that hand hold to help.

I shall say my manta again... oh but the best laid of plans...

Buckled in, we are ready to start, and the doors open to the vision of a dancing window in a sea of stars.

The Princess is a little pale.

Then it's the ghost family and she totally looses it. I feel her head squeeze behind my back as she grabs my arms - both of them - and holds on with a death grip. The elevator rises and there’s nothing holding me in this seat but a seat belt. I feel a little panic myself. The elevator drops and the most antagonizing scream I've ever heard in my life is emanating from my back.

And doesn't stop.

The kid never takes a breath. She just screams and screams and screams. Brilliant mom put her against the wall so the sound erupts from my back, echoes off the wall and deafens the entire car.

The ride ends. My back is wet from tears, people are looking at me funny and The Princess BOLTS out of the seat and out the exit as if she's afraid they are going to make her go again.

The picture was priceless. I wish I had purchased it. A car full of people, looking at me with a strange puzzled look on their faces, me looking down at The Princess and all you can see of her is part of her left side and one leg. The embarrassment factor wouldn't let me stay long enough to get it.

The Princess runs over to her dad and crawls up in his lap. I explained what happened and he's laughing. Gee big help you are. I've just scarred our child for life and you think it's funny. Parents of the year material if ever there was.

Scene 2 – Mountains of Munchies

The Princess finally calms down and we head over to Prime Time Café for our 2:15 ADRs. The crew copped a squat by the pond as I get blindsided by a survey. As I finished, I look over and see trouble brewing.

Uh oh. Methinks the princess is in trouble.

I figure I’m already in purgatory over the Tower fiasco, so I ask what’s going on.

“You’re daughter” (funny how when they are in trouble they are ‘your daughter’) was playing with the camera. I told her to put it down before she broke it and she took my picture.

Ok I had to laugh. It just erupted out like a geyser. I looked at the picture and started laughing again.

DISNEY2005-406.JPG

DH’s ‘I MEAN IT YOUNG LADY’ face is forever captured for posterity. I’m laughing, The Princess’s laughing. The only one not laughing is DH. I wiped the tears and went check in at PT.

I come back and the princess is sulking and DH is laughing. I asked her what’s wrong. She says daddy told her if she didn’t quit laughing at him, he was going to make her go back on the Tower of Terror.

DISNEY2005-407.JPG

This is not a happy camper.

I stifled my giggles, and move everyone into PT to wait on our table. During this time, Father and Daughter made up and became their usual silly selves.

DISNEY2005-412.JPG

After about 15 minutes, we are called back to our “kitchen” and Auntie Brenda introduces herself. I loved Auntie Brenda. She has us in stitches the entire time.

I had read about how people are treated here, and since I was already going to “smoke a turd in hell” for forcing my daughter on the now christened “Tower of Terrified”, I told them both to put their napkins on their laps and to not put their elbows on the table. DH gave me one of his “what the devil are you talking about” looks but judgment got the better of him and he did it.

Good thing too. A large group of about 20 who were next to us had been told to put their napkins in their laps. The server came back and saw they hadn’t and promptly broke out the bibs. Everyone in that group from grandpa down to the baby ended up with a bib since ‘only children don’t put their napkins in their laps.’ DH leaned over and whispered “thank you for the heads up”. Whew. Maybe I’ll get out of purgatory yet.

The menus came and The Princess ordered her favorite, Mac and Cheese.

DISNEY2005-420.JPG

This picture was taken as she was watching one of the women in that large group have a hat put on her head that said “TATTLETALE”.

DH had Yankee Pot Roast.

DISNEY2005-419.JPG

And I had Meatloaf and Potatoes.

DISNEY2005-421.JPG

The food was outstanding and the portions overly generous.

We finished up and took a look at the dessert menu.

DISNEY2005-422.JPG

The Princess decided on a sundae, DH wanted the crème brulee and I decided on Dad’s sundae.

It didn’t look that big in the view master, but when it got there, I almost fell out of my chair. That thing was honkin’ huge!

DISNEY2005-425.JPG

I was able to eat about 1/3 of it. Was a shame to waste it but no way we could take it in the park with us. So we paid our ticket and said bye to Auntie Brenda. Thanks for the lovely memories – you’re a real peach!

DISNEY2005-428.JPG

Scene 3 – Taking on MGM

We left PT and headed over to the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. It was closed. The parade was about to start and I asked the crew did they want to watch the parade or do Sounds Dangerous? They opted for Sounds Dangerous so we went in and joined the very short line.

And Waited.

And Waited.

Finally after 20 minutes, a CM came out and apologized for the long wait. There had been a technical difficulty, but all was ready. We entered in, took our seat and enjoyed the show.

I woke up as the sprinkles hit my face. Zurg is right – this is an excellent place to nap.

We exited just as the last of the parade is going by.

DISNEY2005-430.JPG

We wave at Santa, push through the throngs and slip into Indiana Jones. DH loves it. Anytime you mix big machines and fire, he’s thrilled. I could hear the testosterone racing through his veins.

DISNEY2005-318.JPG

From there, its just a short walk over to Star Tours. The Princess thinks its so cool that we get to walk under an AT-AT and captures this picture.

DISNEY2005-319.JPG

They hand us a little piece of plastic. Hey I recognize this. It’s a flick card! The line is very short and we make it through in short order, loaded up in our ship and take off. This is definitely a hit. All three of us give it a big thumbs up!

After landing back on earth, we head over to Muppets 3-d. The Princess loved the statue of Ms. Piggy. One of her nick-names is piggy; both for her tendency to eat everything in sight and for her prima-donna attitude. She posed with her idol.

DISNEY2005-328.JPG

We joined the throngs of people at the pre-show area and got our lovely facial attire. The Princess wanted to keep hers. She loves anything purple. I explained that the glasses only worked in the theatre and that if we took them, not only would we be stealing, but we would also be depriving some other kid from enjoying the show. She understood and graciously gave up her “cool shades”

DISNEY2005-329.JPG

As we exited Muppets, I got totally backward and couldn’t figure out where to go. A really nice CM, Fred, pointed us in the right direction. I asked about Lights, Camera, Action and Backlot Tours, but they were both closed for the day. Bummer. Guess we’ll have to come back again some other time. {insert devious, eyebrow wiggling here}

We passed under the Osbourne family lights, which weren’t yet lit, and right into the middle of a huge crowd. Why, it’s Robin’s favorite group!

DISNEY2005-333.JPG

We caught the very end of their set and decided against staying for the lights, as there seemed to be half the park there. Instead we took off down the road by the ABC Commisary. DH needed a break, so The Princess and I sat on the chairs and waited for him to come back. While I waited, I called my mom and gave them a small rundown on the day’s activities. DH made it back and we headed over to the Great Movie Ride.

One thing to say about this ride. Excellent. I’m a old movies bluff and totally enjoyed the trip. We were hijacked by a very nice looking bandit cowgirl. I think DH was drooling a little and made a comment about she could hold him up any day.

Pfft – males.

We exited the ride and started making our way over to Fantasmic. Up until now, we had run into very few crowds. In fact, the longest wait of the day was sounds dangerous because of technical difficulties. We had wondered where everyone was, since we knew that at least 3 full buses of people were there just from POP.

Rounding the corner at Fantasmic, we found them. ALL of them.

Holy sardines, Batman.

We found seats way way way way waaaaaaaaaaaay over on the extreme left side of the amphitheatre. I knew getting out of here was going to be a bear later. We were even 40 minutes early for the show!

The show started and we were blown away. That is, by far, the most spectacular thing we had seen since starting our vacation. The Princess loved the water screens. She ranted on and on about them.

DISNEY2005-445.JPG

The dragon was very cool.

DISNEY2005-486.JPG

But my favorite was the fountains and lighted barges.

DISNEY2005-466.JPG

Her majesty, the princess, is pooped and crawls up in Daddy’s arms to sneak a quick nap.

DISNEY2005-367.JPG

The show ended and we were herded out like a pack of cows being led to the slaughter. I noticed most people were leaving the park so we detoured over to Rock n Roller Coaster again. The wait this time was about 10 minutes and we were zooming off again, DH and I screaming “Walk this Way” the entire time. The Princess had her head down, totally embarrassed. We exit out and I look longingly at The Tower again, but its closing time so we make our way out of the park and board a very overcrowded bus. Thankfully, there’s no 7 year old perverts behind me this time and we make it back to Pop with no problems.

Scene 4 – Honesty is the Best Policy

When we arrived at Pop, I sent them on to wait in the lobby while I took care of the little shirt problem. The CM at Everything Pop was very friendly as I explained what had happened the previous night. I showed her the tags and the receipt and asked if I could pay this now.

She said that she really appreciated my honesty, but if she took the money for items that wasn’t in her inventory, it would throw everything off. So, then I’ll have to go over to DTD to take care of this. She called the store at World of Disney for me and spoke with the manager. He said not to worry about it and thanked me for my honesty. He noted which items weren’t paid for and said he would write them off. Then he thanked me again. So I got the shirts free after all and could still sleep with my conscious at night. Honesty really does pay!

DH was happy to hear about our little windfall. He and The Princess watched the caricature artist in the lobby while I spoke with the Guest Relations Desk about our Processional Tickets and Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party. I was able to get the Processional tickets without any problem, but needed my confirmation for the Christmas party. No problem we’ll pick them up later.

We walked back to the room and DH said, “You know. So far we’ve been on Disney Property for 3 days and I have YET to see Goofy. Our Quest is a bust so far!”

The Princess pointed out that Goofy was right there, next to the geyser play area, so she and DH ran over and posed with him for a picture. They figured this way, the trip wouldn’t be a complete non-Goof bust.

DISNEY2005-502.JPG

We got back to the room and found Mousekeeping had re-arranged The Princess’s toys. She got a big kick out of it.

DISNEY2005-508.JPG

We ordered pizza and I decided to call my friend. I looked everywhere for her number but couldn’t find it. It struck me that I had left it laying on the desk at the hotel in Paducah.

Rats.

Well maybe she’ll call me and we can join up one evening.

Pizza came and we gorged ourselves before lights out and another full day behind us at Disney. I was so tired, I didn’t even break out the Nyquil.

Wow! Another great report. Keep em coming! I especially loved the picture your daughter took of your husband. Hilarious :rotfl2: :rotfl:

Hey!!! I made it

Great trip reports. Glad to see you finally got there. Cant want to see more pics you make it seem like I was just there myself.

Wait, I was just there myself :cool1:

Kev

Hey Kev - glad to see you made it. Gotta say though, without you and your advice, it wouldnt have been nearly as much fun. THANK YOU!!!

Enjoyed reading your report ~ Thanx for posting.

Lovely piccies.

Oh I am just loving every word! Everything from the bus Jr. pervert to not having the strength left to break out the Nyquil !! I hope you will find time to write more. Your daughter is a doll. I've always considered myself extremely honest to a fault, that is, until I met you!!! You take the cake! (and want to pay for it!)
Waiting for more report!
Thank you for taking the time to entertain us all. You have a wonderful family and a wonderful talent for writing!
Pomcoach :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter