Good's Food To Go at OKW -- can't really handle large crowds

rg35

DIS Veteran
Just returned from a stay at OKW (and stayed there a year ago as well), and I think it's pretty obvious that Good's Food To Go is too small to keep up with large pool crowds.

I wonder if any consideration has ever been given to reconfiguring the boardwalk area to expand the throughput of the quick service restaurant at the Sandcastle Pool.

One thought is that the Electric Eel is almost always empty. With the advent of tablets and portable gaming and home gaming systems (the Community Center has an Xbox one and PS4 now too), it seems like there's no sense in having a standalone arcade anymore. One of the games they have in there is fruit ninja, which is something you can play for free on any phone or tablet. The games were pretty much all the same games they had in there last year. This seems like the most logical space to use to expand Good's while not really taking something major away from the resort.

Interested in hearing what other people's thoughts are.

The food and drink is a separate business unit, not resorts or DVC. If they don't feel that more money can be made by enlarging the venues, it won't happen.

:earsboy: Bill

Interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks. I figured that resort features/layout would be an integrated B/U.

I think you have to take into account what the normal size crowd is....I find it fine when things are at their mid range,. It can get a bit busy during really crowded times, but I dont think enough to get them to change anything beyond what they did a couple of years ago

They already enlarged it a few years ago. It was just a small counter. Now a bit larger with the soda dispenser and other stuff opposite. It was intended just for pool side, not for quick service/food court dining.

The lack of decent quick service dining is my only reason for not staying at OKW any longer. It used to by my favorite place to stay, but it's large size and lack of indoor quick service have made it so that I stay in other resorts :( I would love if they would redo the area.

Really, the DVC resorts that are only DVC and not hotels really don't need a full service counter service dining facility since all the villas have either a full kitchen or a kitchenette. When OKW was built, it was expected that most of the guests would use their kitchen and kitchenettes. That's what you have with most timeshares (or at least the ones I've stayed at).

And if they decided to enlarge and enclose Goods to Go, owners there would have to pay for it. I'm not that eager to pay for it.

Goods may be my least favorite QS outlet anywhere in WDW---and that's saying something, because it includes Electric Umbrella. I'll still grab a burger there in a pinch, of course, so I suppose I am part of the problem!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter