• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Goodbye Whispering Canyon Cafe - It was amazing while it lasted!!

6loversofdisney

DIS Veteran
We have just recently discovered this restaurant and loved the antics and played right along. Also loved the choice for those who weren't interested in the fun.

I am crossing it off the list for our next trip! :(

It's off my list, too. The food is not good enough, in its current version, to hold our attention without the antics. It's mediocre food and an entertaining show, currently.

I've been told by first hand experience that the antics have not completely ceased. I have friends that were there for dinner last night and they were asked by their server if they wanted a "relaxing" meal or a "fun" meal. They chose the fun meal and they received plenty of antics including the ketchup, the straws and a thimble and bucket of soda. So I think you can still get the antics, but you have to choose to have them.

I have been there numerous times. First time is always the best of course IMO.
I am fine with the antics gone for myself, but I fell really bad for the tons of people who will miss out or have fond memories and won't be able to make another fun memory!:sad2:

I hope that for the 100+ possible complainers that affected the "antics/no antics"....... that 1000x more customers will cancel their reservations. :dogdance::dogdance::dogdance:

We had it booked for June but cancelled now they are reducing / losing the antics. My 10 year old was really looking forward to it.

It was our favorite restaurant last trip - my son loved the dancing & broomstick race - and the ketchup joke we all found funny (we asked for it twice just to see what would happen)!

Anyhooo - based on the changes, I cancelled it for our next trip (planned for arrival night) and have booked Trails End and will hit Chip & Dales Singalong after.

We ate there this evening. Antics are still happening- ketchup, horse races, slight teasing. I ask our waitress, Nikki, and she they are still doing antics but in a friendlier and nicer. For example, not throwing napkins and straws at people.

We ate there this evening. Antics are still happening- ketchup, horse races, slight teasing. I ask our waitress, Nikki, and she they are still doing antics but in a friendlier and nicer. For example, not throwing napkins and straws at people.

Thank you for reporting back your experience. There is still a lot of misunderstanding on this topic going around the Internet and it got hugely blown out of proportion so it's great to hear first hand back from someone who has just eaten there. Looking forward to our annual visit there this summer!

Hope nothing changes. I like the food and the antics are enjoyable to me and my family.

Same here! My sons loved it when they were young and we still love it now that we're all adults! It's nice to be able to have fun and get a little silly!

someone must have had their feeling hurt because their little jimmy or sally didn't get the full ketchup treatment. sad....
Either that or they were offended by said tactics, and complained to the high heavens.

I would eat there more if the food were more consistent.

At least twice I had the dinner skillet, and it was very good. Two other visits, there were issues with the way the food was prepared and served. It was so bad the last time in 2012, I haven’t been back. Their menu beyond the skillet was not great either IMO.

You know, Disney built and operates a huge smoker at the Wilderness Lodge to provide a smoky wood scent as part of WL’s ambience. It supplies the meat for the skillet, and for reasons I can’t explain, I find some charm in knowing that there is this rather unique cooking equipment that fragrances the resort and provides freshly smoked foods for its guests.

When meats like chicken, ribs, brisket, etc. are served fresh from the smoker, they are tender, moist and delicious. When they’ve been smoked then kept in a warmer for hours before you get them, they are tough and dry.

I say that they should ditch the rest of the menu and make it like Ohana in that it’s basically one menu with a vegetarian item on the skillet and maybe chicken nuggets (because it’s Disney) as a picky eater alternative. Then, they must focus on delivering a consistently good product.

The salad is really good; I’d keep that on the menu plus the cornbread and whipped butter, but again, consistency matters—these items need to be great every time. I’d choose s’mores cheesecake for the dessert.

The wait staff can be encouraged to be fun without going over the top. Maybe send out a guitar entertainer once an hour to occupy the kids.

This would be my plan for the place.

What happened to the Watch from the fence card you simply flipped if you didn't want all the antics? That wasn't good enough?

We went ahead and cancelled ours for October. I've never been there before and I already went ahead and booked a different ADR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter