• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Goodbye Main Street Bakery....

What it actually says
At Magic Kingdom Park, Main Street Bakery will close for refurbishment in January 2013 and reopen as a Starbucks location in early summer. At Epcot, Fountain View will close in March 2013 and reopen as a Starbucks location in midsummer.

Note that they do not say 'reopen' when referring to the Fountain View in Epcot

What some of you read
At Magic Kingdom Park, Main Street Bakery will close FOR-EVA in January 2013 and the demolition guys will work through the night to totally obliterate MSB. Every single cinnamon bun will be squashed flat and you will hear the screams. The Men in Black Starbucks Uniforms will move in silently and open a huge evil corporate branch of Starbucks in the early summer. They will play painful jazz CDs and have a HUGE illuminated white and green sign outside totally blocking the view of the Castle..... what was that about Epcot???

;)

I actually agree that the thread is done. There are too many people on here that are attacking the situation (on both sides). I posted that I was sad about the change and asked if anyone remembered McDonald's and all I have done since yesterday is defend every little thing I have said. I don't believe the change will ruin my memories, nor do I believe that Starbucks is the devil spawn. I just feel that aesthetically, it is a bad choice. Whether it's a bakery from the outside and a Starbuck's inside. It's a Starbucks. It would be nicer if they put it in Tomorrowland or something...that's all.

But if you look at the pictures from DCA it looks nothing like a Starbucks. It fits the theme both inside and out. They've already stated that it will fit the Main St theme and look like something from early 20th century.

Lehuaann said:
Would Tim Hortons have been better received and applauded? :confused3

Me thinks so. ::yes::

My guess is that some view SB as an evil empire...conquering it's way over every street corner, bookstore, airport, grocery chain, hospital, etc.

Btw - I've never had TH, but several of my FB friends rave about how much better it is.

Lol, ick! Watered down, no taste ice coffee! Everyone has their own tastes!

The new Starbucks Fairy.

tinkerbell-dlr-1024.jpg

This thread has been eye-opening for me. I had no idea that some people see Starbucks as such an evil corporation. Success seems to breed contempt.

Funny that a friend told me the same thing about Disney once. I guess that we all see it differently. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy my Starbucks chai.

The MSN will be closed for refurbishing and will reopen as SB location, fact.

It will have SB items and some MSB items, fact.

Current theme/design/costumes will change but reflect surroundings, fact.

Disney will have bakery on Main Street, just not MSB as it is now, fact.

Now, sponsorship vs. take over is an opinion.

SB with Disney items vs. MSB with SB items another opinion.

Can someone absolutely, 100% prove their opinions, I guess not. No matter how many times we read article or look at DL pictures, opinions are opinions and it will not even change after place opens, anyone will find something they were right about.
So aside from facts everything else is speculation, but we do it here the best.

KellyNY said:

Well, no. Takeover would mean that Starbucks, the company, has purchased the Main Street Bakery (which isn't even possible because the MSB isn't a company in and of itself) and is turning it into a Starbucks. They have not purchased anything. Takeover is the purchase of one company by another. That's the definition of the word. No opinion can change that.

I know you're joking. ;) I used to love Columbia Harbor House...but Disney has changed their clam chowder, it is not the same tasty chowder it used to be. Red Lobster may actually be an improvement...and I'm not a Red Lobster fan. There have been some improvements at the table service restaurants lately, but the Disney operated counter servce places seem to be getting worse. Corporate sponsors may actually be a general improvement.

I would suggest to them a local establishment Celebration Town Tavern to sponsor Columbia Harbor House. I have no idea if they would be interested, but they have fabulous seafood flown in fresh from Massachusetts and the clam chowder is to die for!

Well, no. Takeover would mean that Starbucks, the company, has purchased the Main Street Bakery (which isn't even possible because the MSB isn't a company in and of itself) and is turning it into a Starbucks. They have not purchased anything. Takeover is the purchase of one company by another. That's the definition of the word. No opinion can change that.

Not takeover of the company but the place itself.

KellyNY said:
Not takeover of the company but the place itself.

That's not what the word takeover means though. Takeover means the purchase of a company by another. Maybe find a different word for what you're describing to avoid future misunderstandings.

The MSN will be closed for refurbishing and will reopen as SB location, fact.

It will have SB items and some MSB items, fact.

Current theme/design/costumes will change but reflect surroundings, fact.

Disney will have bakery on Main Street, just not MSB as it is now, fact.

SB with Disney items vs. MSB with SB items another opinion.

Can someone absolutely, 100% prove their opinions, I guess not. No matter how many times we read article or look at DL pictures, opinions are opinions and it will not even change after place opens, anyone will find something they were right about.
So aside from facts everything else is speculation, but we do it here the best.

I agree with most of what you say. The only thing missing is the reliance on past precedent. Corporate sponsorship has been done dozens of times before with the likes of Sara Lee, Nestle, Carnation, Coke, Edy's just to name a few, and in none of those instances did anyone declare that the sky was falling and that a particular location had been ruined. And while: "Disney will do this the right way and keep the location pleasant" is indeed an opinion, it is one formed from vast past experience whereas: "Disney is going to ruin this location" is an opinion formed by little more than fear. People are entitled to either opinion. But one comes with precedent and the other does not.

rebeccaariel said:
That's not what the word takeover means though. Takeover means the purchase of a company by another. Maybe find a different word for what you're describing to avoid future misunderstandings.

Actually, it is the act of gaining control. Which absolutely works here.

Update to Disney Parks Blog story.

UPDATE 11/12: Heres some additional information about our Walt Disney World Resort Starbucks locations. The Main Street Bakery will keep its name and theming when it reopens in early summer. Itll also continue to serve Disney favorites like cookies, brownies and seasonal cupcakes, in addition to Starbucks signature beverages and other items. And for those of you who asked in comments, the cinnamon rolls are available at Gastons Tavern in New Fantasyland, and the ice cream sandwiches are available at Plaza Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street, U.S.A.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...gic-kingdom-park-epcot-set-to-open-next-year/

Update to Disney Parks Blog story.

UPDATE 11/12: Heres some additional information about our Walt Disney World Resort Starbucks locations. The Main Street Bakery will keep its name and theming when it reopens in early summer. Itll also continue to serve Disney favorites like cookies, brownies and seasonal cupcakes, in addition to Starbucks signature beverages and other items. And for those of you who asked in comments, the cinnamon rolls are available at Gastons Tavern in New Fantasyland, and the ice cream sandwiches are available at Plaza Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street, U.S.A.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...gic-kingdom-park-epcot-set-to-open-next-year/

Sorry, what was that? :rolleyes1

a11ie said:
Actually, it is the act of gaining control. Which absolutely works here.

Except that Starbucks isn't gaining control of anything. As noted above, MSB is keeping its name and theming.

mdsoccermom said:
I just find this outrage to be so completely asinine. I have been to Disney 42 times since Dec. 1971. I have been through every possible change and seen many of my favorite rides from childhood disappear. And you know something, it's OK. My memories come from the activity at the time and the people I was with. When things change, I create a new memory and remember fondly the old ones.

Sorry For the double post, i haven't figured out how to quote more than one person in the same post. But I agree 100% with that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter