Good Weekend to Stock up on meat for your freezer...

HeatherC

Alas...these people I live with ...
Ran to Stop and Shop before to check out their meat sale for Labor Day weekend and wound up getting 23 nights worth of meat for $89. We are a family of five with three teens, so that was a great buy.

I bought three huge boneless Center Cut Pork Roasts for $1.88 a lb. Cut them up into smaller roasts.
Ton of Boneless Chicken Breasts for $1.88 a lb.
Sirloin Beef Tips for $5.88 a lb.

Only downside was that it took me an hour to cut up into smaller portions and make sure they were wrapped super well to be frozen.

Think I will try a couple more supermarkets this weekend since they are all advertising decent prices on beef which is so expensive.

Anybody else planning on stocking up this Labor Day?

Not planning to do any meat stock-ups since we're trying to eat less meat anyways, but Kroger is having their mega sale! Definitely planning on stocking up with that. Since DH and I will be moving soon, I'm going to use the mega sale plus coupons to try and get some pantry staples like soups and whatnot since we will be starting in our new house with NOTHING. I'm also planning on picking up stuff like Swiffer wet jets since we won't have one of those when we move in. It's the "good" mega sale in that they really have a lot of items on it and they're ones I use so I'm excited to go grocery shopping! Yes, I know I'm weird.

Actually I went to our Safeway and found so much meat for the 30-50 percent off. It will last us a long time. I find the sales all the time in the clearance , not just for holiday weekends. But you scored a lot of meat for a great price.

We had some of the sirloin tips last night and they were awesome! I am heading back to get some more later today.

Kroger had sirloin steak and shrimp each for $4.99 a pound.
Last week they had boneless pork loin for $1.49/lb.

Meijer had ground chuck for $2.59 and boneless chicken for $1.78/ lb.

Our freezer is stuffed.

I love when the pork roasts are on sale. But I don't cut them up myself anymore. I just take them to the meat counter and ask them to cut and wrap for me. I've never had a problem at Safeway as long as I'm buying the whole roast.

I love when the pork roasts are on sale. But I don't cut them up myself anymore. I just take them to the meat counter and ask them to cut and wrap for me. I've never had a problem at Safeway as long as I'm buying the whole roast.

I do the same thing, but I also do it when beef roasts are on sale-I have the butcher cut them up into stew/soup meat as well as thin strips (stir fry, fajitas and stroganoff). once in a while they will just offer to sell me the prepackaged style of meat I want for the same price but I politely decline b/c 9 times out of 10 the fat content and cut of the roast is better.

we get the pork roasts (or tenderloins-depends on what's on a better sale) and do packages of roasts (primarily for pulled pork), pork chops, and then dh grinds up the rest into sausage to freeze in 1 pound packages. when I need non cased Italian or Andouille I can just pull out a package and mix in the appropriate herbs for the type of sausage I need (much cheaper than buying premade).

we're well stocked on everything right now but I'm REALY going to start watching turkey prices-they've gone up insanely such that I think most of us will be in for some huge sticker shock come November.

...we're well stocked on everything right now but I'm REALY going to start watching turkey prices-they've gone up insanely such that I think most of us will be in for some huge sticker shock come November.

I was kind of shocked how last year turkey never really got as cheap as it has been in the past. I remember getting turkey for $0.39-$0.49/lb in the past. Not last year.

Being single, I've found a whole turkey, even a small one, is too much for me. I've been buying the "hotel" breast as they call it. Target has had them for $0.99/lb. lately. I've been picking them up when I have my red card and pharmacy discounts lately. I think I have four of them in my tiny freezer LOL.

Just back from visiting family in Southeast Texas.....hurricane belt. Because of the chances for hurricanes and other severe weather related power problems, a lot of folks now leave their freezer pretty much empty September through December. Never heard that before. When Rita hit they were with out power for 3 months, but I guess the big problem isn't the big storm, it's the little ones that cause power surges that fry appliances. The stores sell out of freezers and you end up waiting weeks for a new one while your food rots.

I found butterball turkeys at Aldi today $1.19 a pound. 8lb and up, we just need a little one this year, into the freezer it went. Sometimes I have a very hard time finding a small one.

Just back from visiting family in Southeast Texas.....hurricane belt. Because of the chances for hurricanes and other severe weather related power problems, a lot of folks now leave their freezer pretty much empty September through December. Never heard that before. When Rita hit they were with out power for 3 months, but I guess the big problem isn't the big storm, it's the little ones that cause power surges that fry appliances. The stores sell out of freezers and you end up waiting weeks for a new one while your food rots.

thank god we've never had to deal for 3 months w/o power but because we've been w/o for up to a week (and lost tons of food in addition to other expenses) it tipped the scales for us to get a whole home generator plumbed to our propane tank. w/ours b/c the generator is tied into the electrical panel and turns on and off automatically with power losses we don't have to worry about power surges damaging the appliances (even if the generator detects that power has been restored it won't let the electrical panel take over and provide power until it detects that it has been available and providing sufficient power without surges or interruptions for a designated period of time). also helps w/or w/o a generator to plug anything electrical into a heavy duty surge protector.

I was at 2 different stores this weekend and hadn't noticed meat being any cheaper. Must just be my area.

thank god we've never had to deal for 3 months w/o power but because we've been w/o for up to a week (and lost tons of food in addition to other expenses) it tipped the scales for us to get a whole home generator plumbed to our propane tank. w/ours b/c the generator is tied into the electrical panel and turns on and off automatically with power losses we don't have to worry about power surges damaging the appliances (even if the generator detects that power has been restored it won't let the electrical panel take over and provide power until it detects that it has been available and providing sufficient power without surges or interruptions for a designated period of time). also helps w/or w/o a generator to plug anything electrical into a heavy duty surge protector.

They had a generator, the surges killed it too.

We have the same thing after Hurricane Isabel took our power out for 10 days in 2003. Doesn't run everything, but runs the fridge, microwave, one TV, and a couple lights. Most importantly: it runs the well pump. Because let me tell you what, hauling 35 gallons of water everyday from a couple miles up the road for 5 horses is NOT fun!!

We have the same thing after Hurricane Isabel took our power out for 10 days in 2003. Doesn't run everything, but runs the fridge, microwave, one TV, and a couple lights. Most importantly: it runs the well pump. Because let me tell you what, hauling 35 gallons of water everyday from a couple miles up the road for 5 horses is NOT fun!!

same major concern with us-only it's not so much hauling in water it's when the power goes out well below zero temps so if your well pump goes out and the pipes subsequently freeze then the well pump kicks on again-it's the broken pipes that can be inaccessible for repair until months later when the ground is accessible to dig into.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter