Good Walking Shoes?

Is this the right forum for this question? i had only worn crocs, but recently lost 50 pounds and my crocs don't seem to give me enough support now. i am hoping to not have to use an ECV on our vacation in March 2016, but not ruling out the possibility. Thought i should get a really good pair of shoes in case i try to go without assistance. My sister who runs recommended New Balance shoes. She buys the running shoes as she participates in a lot of marathons. i'm not going for style, i just want a good comfortable shoe with support and cushion, most likely a tennis shoe. Any recommendations?
My wife and I both have careers that require us to be on our feet for 10-12 hours per day. A great pair of well fitting shoes is a must. We have found New Balance and Reeboks to be our favorites, a good leather pair of black walking shoes for work and a nice light mesh pair for our leisure time. If you have wide feet (as we do) be sure to buy the wide width shoes and don't be afraid to spend a little more on the upper end lines.
Every company has entry level/price shoes and then several upgraded lines. The upgrades can be worth it as far as comfort goes, my favorite ATM are the Reebok ZigTech walking/running shoes (nice and springy but quite pricey).
Your favorite brand will need a trip to the shoe store to be discovered. I have several friends who swear by Asics, my son wears nothing but Nike Air and my other son loves Sketchers. Find what works for you by trying on several brands and styles in a store like Foot Locker or SportChek where there is a large selection. Buy a pair and take it home then try it around the house for a few days to make sure it's right before heading out on your Disney adventure.

Bottom line, your feet are worth it so don't scrimp on a cheap pair of shoes. Your feet will thank you (and your knees and back)
It's worth the time and money to have a professional fitting, but not absolutely necessary as there are so many shoe stores around, that you can try on a variety of shoes to find a fit and brand that you like.
Second, shoes don't last forever and shouldn't be worn until your toes are showing through the soles :D
Personally, I'm a big guy (230lbs) so I generally have 2 pairs of work shoes on the go at the same time and wear them alternately to give each pair a "rest" between wearings. 2 pairs last me about 8-12 months depending on the workload at work, then I buy 2 more pairs. My feet thank me as do my knees and back for keeping a decent pair of shoes on my feet. A good pair of insoles can extend the life of the shoes a few months but I have found that I would rather put the $20-$30 toward a new pair of shoes rather than trying to stretch the life of the old ones.
Only you can be the best judge of when it's time for a new pair of shoes. When the "spring" is gone from my step, I know it's time to start checking for a sale.
Oh and FYI a great pair of well fitting shoes should never have to be "broken in". When I pick up my New Balance or Reeboks, I generally put them on and put in a full day and they feel great.

I have 2 different styles of the GoWalks, but on mine the only difference is the design of the uppers, the soles are identical. Sorry I can't help more. They are comfortable if slightly narrow. I will stress that they are not for people with high arches and even people with normal arches will probably need an insert.
ok, thank you

I also wear Brooks. Bought at Foot Solutions, they have great professional fitters. And I wear orthotics in them. As someone with difficult feet I find I have to wear shoes with an arch support at all times. Around the hOuse the Vionics work for me, love the flip flops!

I have 2 different styles of the GoWalks, but on mine the only difference is the design of the uppers, the soles are identical. Sorry I can't help more. They are comfortable if slightly narrow. I will stress that they are not for people with high arches and even people with normal arches will probably need an insert.

I have to disagree. I have extremely high arches. When I make a wet foot print, there's very little in the middle!! I love my GoWalks. I've been told by multiple foot people, as well as orthopedic and pt people, that my high instep/arches need as much softness under them as humanly possible. That my foot is already supporting itself....those arches need no more help. But, because there is little to nothing in the middle of my foot, hitting the ground, the front and back of the foot need as much softness to absorb the road shock as possible.
Every single one of them said that's why those of us with high arches are so comfy in Crocs!!! It's like walking on a cloud. The GoWalks are very similar, but look a bit better!!!!
I love my Merrill's as well. I have a pair of Merrill sandals that are very comfortable, but not for all day in a park. I always recommend switching out your shoes midday. That way, your feet get a break. I have much less trouble that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter