Good stopping point

SherryG

Mouseketeer
We will be driving to Disney in November and want to do the drive in 2 days. (from the GTA) We are going the 77/95 route and wondering where a good spot to stop would be the first night? We are hoping to get a big chunk of the drive done the first day. Any suggestions on what time we should leave and where we should plan on stopping would be appreciated!

My parents used to drive this every year to Florida (now I've made them see the light of flying) going I77/I79 (I79 seems to cut off quite a bit of time). They either left in the late afternoon and drove to Erie for an extra night, or left first thing in the morning and drove to Morgantown, WV. Dad liked it because they have a huge 24-hr Walmart:sad2: Next day they'd get up and drive the rest of the way to Daytona beach. I think they always stayed at the Hampton Inn to get points, and said it was nice.

I think some trips they also cut off a bit of time by going I79 then cutting down 19 through Summersville and then joining up with I79 just north of Beckley. If they did Erie the night before, they often would keep driving the first full day to Lake Norman, just north of Charlotte.

Hope that helps give you some options.

A lot depends on what time of day you plan to leave TO. Beckley WV seems to be the place of choice with all the major hotel chains and restaurants. After that, I'd recommend Savannah GA. River Street is the historic district right on the Savannah River. There are shops, restaurants and even a cobble stone street. Here's a link. http://www.savcvb.com/

Beth

We took that route in May. We left Brampton Ontario (just northwest of Toronto) at 8:30 am and with many stops - washroom breaks and a quick take out dinner break arrived at Columbia, SC at 11 pm. We left the next day at 8:30 am and arrived in Orlando around 4 pm (that was after a major hail storm that delayed us for 30 mins or so).

This was a Sat & Sun so traffic was minimal.

We went to the rest stops and picked up the hotel coupon book and were able to decide where to stay.

There are two ways to do that we have tried. The first method is one night stop. When we did this, we drove to Rock Hill, S.C. and stayed overnight there. Lots of choices for hotels, all the big chains.

The second method has two stops. If you use the US19 shortcut through Summersville, this is where we stayed. Lots of choices again, 24 hr Walmart right on US19. Second night, we stop at Savannah. Actually, we stop at Pooler which is right on I95 about 10 mins outside Savannah. Again, lots of choices for hotels and food. The big attraction for this method is that Pooler/Savannah is about 4.5 hours from Disney. You arrive fresh and ready to go and usually you have at least half the day left to go to the parks by the time you are checked in, depending on how long it takes you to get the room location you want. :rotfl2:

We always stop either in Charlotte, NC or Columbia, SC - usually the 12 hour mark, then only about 8 hours left the second day. Make sure you stop at the welcome center for whatever state you'll be stopping in and get the room savers coupon book - the coupons are good for a one-night stay without a reservation and you can usually get a decent room (we stayed at a great Sleep Inn in Columbia) for around $34-$54 depending on the season/weekend. Have a safe and happy trip!!

WE are also doing the drive in August. Same route. We plan on driving from about 4am to around 10pm on the first day.

Where do you think we will be and how long for the next day?

WE are also doing the drive in August. Same route. We plan on driving from about 4am to around 10pm on the first day.

Where do you think we will be and how long for the next day?

Depends where in Ontario you leave from. If you leave from the Hamilton area you would likely make it to around Savannah, GA with about 5 hours the next day to WDW.

Depends where in Ontario you leave from. If you leave from the Hamilton area you would likely make it to around Savannah, GA with about 5 hours the next day to WDW.

Sorry, forgot to add that we are in Oakville. So yes Hamilton area. Great guess.

I did some calculating using mapquest and it looked like GA to me. I want to arrive at WDW around 1pm -3pm so it seems I'm on the right track. Would the Savannah area be OK to stop or would there be someplace else before or after that would be better? We only want to stop and get a shower and some sleep.

Thanks!

we are leaving friday july 13th at about 10pm. our goal is to make it to port canaveral for about noon on the sunday. two drivers, so the plan is to drive through the night and stop about 6pm or so. we are leaving from the Cambridge area and taking i79 from erie down.........we should be close to savannah ga, shouldnt we? from savannah, we are about 6 hours to port canaveral, correct?

I'm no expert but if you drive from 10pm to 6pm that's 20 hours and you should already be in Florida. With roughly 3 hours left to drive. Why don't you just carry on the last few hours?

we are leaving friday july 13th at about 10pm. our goal is to make it to port canaveral for about noon on the sunday. two drivers, so the plan is to drive through the night and stop about 6pm or so. we are leaving from the Cambridge area and taking i79 from erie down.........we should be close to savannah ga, shouldnt we? from savannah, we are about 6 hours to port canaveral, correct?

It takes about 21.5 hours from Burlington to WDW if driving straight through. I believe it is roughly the same time to Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach. If you are driving straight through then why not drive until 7:30pm and you'll be their. Can sleep in the next morning...

my wife tends to want to stop alot. bathroom, walmart & target stops. I always plan on this.

Rock Hill S.C. is a good point to aim for. Gets you past Charlotte and any traffic worries the next morning.

We left Guelph about 7a.m. and made Rock Hill (Super 8 with continental for $64) about 10:30ish that night with several stops including an hour for dinner at a Cracker Barrel.

Left us with a 7-8 hour drive day 2.

We did this first week of November 2006. Rained from Pittsburgh to North Carolina state line. Miserable, but at least not snow.

We left Guelph about 7a.m. and made Rock Hill (Super 8 with continental for $64)

Any suggestions for finding this type of hotel, cheap with breakie, along the I95. If we don't know where we will stop for the night how do you pick a place to stay?

When you reach the state in which you think you want to stop, go to the first welcome centre/ rest stop. There are hotel discount coupon booklets there. They are outside so even if the welcome centre is closed you have access to them. The passenger can check out where to stay while the driver continues on your route!

I also know that there is an I95 website that lists hotels along the way - just do a search on I95.

Just North of Charlotte NC is a great place. There is a nice Best Western there with many restaurants around it. But for the life of me I can't remember the name of the city, it is about 20 minutes north of Charlotte.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter