Good stop to sleep?

nboicepardee

Mouseketeer
We are driving (first time!) from Rochester to Disney this summer. The first day we are leaving after work and staying around Pittsburgh. Can someone suggest a stop that is approximately a 10 hour drive from Pittsburgh? Thank you!

When we drive from MA to FL we drive straight thru to Savanna GA.

I am a little nervous about doing 12 hours in a row, but we would love to see savannah. We have thought about making that a stop. Any suggestions for a couple hours north of savannah?

I am originally from the Charleston area and have lived in Savannah as well. The issue with either city is that you have to drive a good bit off of the interstate to see anything of interest or get remotely close to the coast. Both cities are amazing if you want to take the extra time to see them. However, I am not sure if that is the sort of experience you are looking for given the fact that you are commuting to Disney during that time.

Two hours north of Savannah on 95 wouldn't have much to see except really small towns. Beaufort, SC is also about halfway between the two and is a really beautiful town. Once again, it will require you to get off 95 a good ways though.

Honestly, I've always hoped that people outside of the state don't judge South Carolina by the places most people see...I-95 and Myrtle Beach. ;)

I am originally from the Charleston area and have lived in Savannah as well. The issue with either city is that you have to drive a good bit off of the interstate to see anything of interest or get remotely close to the coast. Both cities are amazing if you want to take the extra time to see them. However, I am not sure if that is the sort of experience you are looking for given the fact that you are commuting to Disney during that time.

Two hours north of Savannah on 95 wouldn't have much to see except really small towns. Beaufort, SC is also about halfway between the two and is a really beautiful town. Once again, it will require you to get off 95 a good ways though.

Honestly, I've always hoped that people outside of the state don't judge South Carolina by the places most people see...I-95 and Myrtle Beach. ;)

Thank you for that advice! I really want to visit charleston and savannah but the one day we would have probably wouldn't be enough time. So, stopping essentially anywhere off 95 would be my easiest option? Thank you!

Thank you for that advice! I really want to visit charleston and savannah but the one day we would have probably wouldn't be enough time. So, stopping essentially anywhere off 95 would be my easiest option? Thank you!

We've stopped twice at Kingsland Ga. Quite a few hotels there... We like the Hampton... Pricey but what isn't off I95.... It's about 30 minutes from the Ga/Fla border...

I know exactly what you mean about people judging based on what they see from the highway!! I lived in NJ for 8 years, and the view from any highway isn't pretty, but there are so many lovely parts of the state.

If we had one full day to tour Savannah, myself, husband, daughters 10 and 7, what would you recommend? I have always wanted to visit Savannah!

I know exactly what you mean about people judging based on what they see from the highway!! I lived in NJ for 8 years, and the view from any highway isn't pretty, but there are so many lovely parts of the state.

If we had one full day to tour Savannah, myself, husband, daughters 10 and 7, what would you recommend? I have always wanted to visit Savannah!

There is plenty of stuff to do...my husband and I (pre-children) loved the City Market area. It is more of a "local" experience that River Street...although both are close enough that you could walk between the two. You could always take a carriage ride to look at all of the squares. Savannah has these beautiful historic squares that are reminiscent of when it was a penal colony. I hope you are able to make it for a trip. It really is a beautiful city.

So, stopping essentially anywhere off 95 would be my easiest option? Thank you!

I think stopping off of 95 would be the easiest. There are several hotels in the Savannah exit. (Maybe exit 90? Abercorn?) You may also want to try Richmond Hill, GA. Richmond Hill is a very nice town maybe 20 minutes south of Savannah. There may be some great things to see there.

We always drive in to Disney from our home in Charlotte. We typically stop at my parent's home in South Carolina (only 10 minutes off of the interstate) but this time we are going to make the majority of the commute on the evening before our trip. We are staying just south of Jacksonville to maximize our park time on the following day. We've tried the overnight thing...the kids didn't sleep at all and the next day was a little exhausting! Never again! :)

I think we have decided to stay an extra day in the Savannah area to do some exploring. None of us has ever been. We will get in later one evening, but have the entire next day to sight see and then we can get up early the next day to head to the Disney area. We are staying at a friend's place near WDW so I think we will splurge on another night in a hotel. Has anyone ever stayed at the Embassy Suites off exit 104? It sounds nice (1 BR suite...I have a daughter who is a VERY light sleeper) and includes a hot breakfast, which I love so we don't have to worry about that before we get on the road. That will get us to WDW at a really reasonable time.
Thanks for all the advice! :)

There is plenty of stuff to do...my husband and I (pre-children) loved the City Market area. It is more of a "local" experience that River Street...although both are close enough that you could walk between the two. You could always take a carriage ride to look at all of the squares. Savannah has these beautiful historic squares that are reminiscent of when it was a penal colony. I hope you are able to make it for a trip. It really is a beautiful city.

This is off topic for this thread (Iknow) but I am living in Charlotte, NC too. Hello, neighbor. Isn't it great to be 8 hours away? It keeps us from flying and allows us to stay much longer.

I think we have decided to stay an extra day in the Savannah area to do some exploring. None of us has ever been. We will get in later one evening, but have the entire next day to sight see and then we can get up early the next day to head to the Disney area. We are staying at a friend's place near WDW so I think we will splurge on another night in a hotel. Has anyone ever stayed at the Embassy Suites off exit 104? It sounds nice (1 BR suite...I have a daughter who is a VERY light sleeper) and includes a hot breakfast, which I love so we don't have to worry about that before we get on the road. That will get us to WDW at a really reasonable time.
Thanks for all the advice! :)

There is an Embassy in downtown Charleston. It is a bit of an older style and I haven't been in 3 years, but we parked and walked around instead of driving. I loved the hot breakfast. We always eat at Hymans because we love seafood. I am sure there are better places if you are looking for excellent seafood.

This is off topic for this thread (Iknow) but I am living in Charlotte, NC too. Hello, neighbor. Isn't it great to be 8 hours away? It keeps us from flying and allows us to stay much longer.

Yes!!! Love, love Charlotte!!! We live on the Northern part of Mecklenburg county....so the drive is slightly longer for us! ;)

I think stopping off of 95 would be the easiest. There are several hotels in the Savannah exit. (Maybe exit 90? Abercorn?) You may also want to try Richmond Hill, GA. Richmond Hill is a very nice town maybe 20 minutes south of Savannah. There may be some great things to see there.

We always drive in to Disney from our home in Charlotte. We typically stop at my parent's home in South Carolina (only 10 minutes off of the interstate) but this time we are going to make the majority of the commute on the evening before our trip. We are staying just south of Jacksonville to maximize our park time on the following day. We've tried the overnight thing...the kids didn't sleep at all and the next day was a little exhausting! Never again! :)

We could NEVER drive overnight, so I agree with you! My kids do not sleep in the car at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter