Good resting places

kangaand2roos

DIS Veteran
I will be going to WDW in December. I will be 11 months post cervical spinal surgery. I intend to take it easy but dont want to ruin the trip for my kids by having to leave the parks too early. I'm doing very well, but need to take periodic rests. What I'm looking for is somewhere in each park that I can sit with my neck supported so I can rest and ice it. Especially important is Epcot because we will have one day there that might run quite long. I know there is a massage chair in the Space Mountain dump shop. That kind of thing is ideal!

TIA!

Yes first aid will be your friend. Also just any where you see a bench to sit on would work space ship earth might be a good rife to do you might get lucky and it might stop on the way down

I can think of places to sit, but not with your neck supported. Is an ECV an option? It'd make it a lot easier to keep up with your kids, as well.

I can think of places to sit, but not with your neck supported. Is an ECV an option? It'd make it a lot easier to keep up with your kids, as well.

Actually, I have no problem keeping up. Walking is my best physical therapy. I just need to be able to take a break now and then. Lying down on a bench will work, but unless I can lean back, sitting on one won't help much. First Aid is a good idea if I need it.

Thanks everyone!

On my last trip, I was having a rest on an empty bench and watching the world go by when a couple came and sat beside me.

Not that I'm nosy :hyper2: however, I saw the guy had ice packs in his insulated bag & the lady had a cushion inside her bag. She then settled herself with her items & I was most impressed by their packing skills.:worship:

Ellen's Energy Adventure in Epcot is a 40 minute ride in a dark cool place on huge long benches (it's never full so there will be plenty of room). We actually did stretch out on those and basically rest and cool off. Your kids will like the dinosaurs and you can lay flat and cool off.

As for ice. Bring baggies then go ask for a free cup of ice or do into the CS there by Ellens that has a walk up fountain. Ice is free and it's not chipped so fill up your baggie then go stretch out during the ride.

Ellen's Energy Adventure in Epcot is a 40 minute ride in a dark cool place on huge long benches (it's never full so there will be plenty of room). We actually did stretch out on those and basically rest and cool off. Your kids will like the dinosaurs and you can lay flat and cool off.

As for ice. Bring baggies then go ask for a free cup of ice or do into the CS there by Ellens that has a walk up fountain. Ice is free and it's not chipped so fill up your baggie then go stretch out during the ride.

Yep, I already keep empty ziplock bags on me whenever I'm not near a freezer. My kids do love Ellen's Energy Adventure.

Thanks!

First Aid is great - I'm just concerned about when you're in pain and First Aid is at the other end of the park.

There is a place in the MK by BTMR there is a building right before you get to the ride that you can sit on the ground and rest your back agents the building I think some times there is a cart that sell water in the area

First Aid is great - I'm just concerned about when you're in pain and First Aid is at the other end of the park.

My problem is much more if the chronic sort now as opposed to accute. I'll have plenty of warning that I need to rest before it becomes urgent that I do so

First aid is your best bet at any park.

The Epcot one is pretty centrally located as it is in the Odyssey building which is in Future World but is a short walk from Mexico in World Showcase. You can sign yourself in and let them know you need somewhere to lay down and ice your neck. There are some ledge type benches in Morocco that make a good place to sit up against the wall in Epcot. I actually ended up taking a nap on one a few summers ago while my friends shopped.

Just a thought does anywhere rent a reclining wheelchair? I know you get around fine but you could choose to push it through out the park and then when you needed to sit and rest you have it.

Disney seems to be removing benches, so I don't think you could count on finding one to lie down on. I'd also worry about falling off the (slippery plastic) bench seating on Ellen's Energy Adventure if it happened to stop short. The most logical place to rest would be First Aid, or taking a mid day break in your resort room, then going back to the parks.

Bring one of those special pillows for the neck; it might help. Ask your doctor for suggestions. There may be devices that the doctor knows about that can help.

Worse to worse, a wheelchair might do the trick if you can get someone to push. When you want to walk you use it as a walker.

I do agree with the above posters about first aid. This will be your best bet.

I definitely agree that first aid is probably my best bet. I really am doing very well overall. I just need to rest periodically. On average, I walk between 175 and 200 miles a month, so in that regard I am probably more fit than the average bear. I just need a place to recline and ice my neck if I get over tired. Last year, right before my surgery, I felt better at WDW than I had the previous 3 months! Hopefully that will be the case this trip too! The mental boost from being in my happy place can outweigh the exhaustion! Most days we will do the parks in the morning and chill at the resort in the evening, but the one Epcot day we are going to try a marathon. That will likely be the only day that it is a real issue.

Thank you everyone for your advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter