Good Read for Cautious Star Wars Fans in Vanity Fair

lockedoutlogic

DIS Veteran
So i fell for Han and Chewie on the Cover…but this months vanity fair (can't find a link - i don't think they have online access - maybe someone can help?) there is a truly fascinating article about the new film…

It is as impartial as i think you're gonna get…and points out a lot of detail as to what has gone into making the film…including some frank accounts by lawrence kasdan as to how they scrapped the story and went clean leading up to and including the shoot…
Also some honesty from Kathy Kennedy as well.

It was very complimentary of what they perceived as Abrams approach…and in turn Ford was described as a strong part of the movie…from perceptions.

And no Iger…which means no spin and perhaps Disney taking the "let the movie people make the movie" approach.

Also describes the transition of lucasfilm and how that played into everything.

Check it out…i promise i didn't even scratch the surface in my descriptions.

I've said this from the announcement, I expect a solid film. Expecting better than the prequels, and not as good as the originals. I think the fact they've taken some care in the script writing and also the shooting format (actual sets vs. CGI) is going to lend kindly in the quality of the film. Plus, I think Disney knows better than to go radical with the direction of the film. Would be nice to see some synergy in the parks however, given the fact I'm basically going to be visiting Disney's Vacantwood studios in July

I've said this from the announcement, I expect a solid film. Expecting better than the prequels, and not as good as the originals. I think the fact they've taken some care in the script writing and also the shooting format (actual sets vs. CGI) is going to lend kindly in the quality of the film. Plus, I think Disney knows better than to go radical with the direction of the film. Would be nice to see some synergy in the parks however, given the fact I'm basically going to be visiting Disney's Vacantwood studios in July

It will come... They need to take one of their shiny "new" IPs out for a spin and since it can't really be Avengers.... and there aren't enough Marvel properties that are hit films and not under the Universal contract ban... (At this point Guardians in The Galaxy, and Shield... not sure on Daredevil... Future IPs might be Dr Strange (not sure if he has an Avengers affiliation), Captain Marvel, and the Inhumans)... So Star Wars and Pixar seem to be the two biggest IPs for them to fix DHS.

Thanks for sharing everyone! Like @umichigan10, I am expecting better than the prequels (please, God) but not as good as the originals. (To be fair, in my mind I'm not sure anything could top them...) From everything I have read so far, I am thrilled with the deliberation that appears to have gone into this film. It definitely bodes well for the future of the franchise.

I think the best indication...

To be honest...is that they basically locked Lucas out of the story, fired arndt, and brought In kasdan - who with Abrams hit the detonator and apparently toured the world informally chatting about what they wanted to see/ needed to get right.

The story of the two loudly talking story at a Parisian cafe (I've been there and you have to talk LOUD) is classic.

So you have somebody who was heavily involved In the "good side" movies... And a lifelong Star Wars fan breaking it down to ground level...

Now... There may just not be a great story out there...the original coulda been lightning in a jar...(not binks)

But im gonna CREDIT DISNEY in giving it what I believe to be its best shot.

Honestly...the only other thing I could have thought of was to bring Gary Kurtz in as a senior adviser...
But too much water below he and Lucas's bridge to allow that.

Lucky enough to work in periodicals at a library, so read the article a couple weeks ago. Definitely a decent write up and well worth the read.

Anyhow, if Abrams can pull this off anywhere near as well as he pulled of a Star Trek reboot, I will be thoroughly happy with it.

I think the best indication...

To be honest...is that they basically locked Lucas out of the story, fired arndt, and brought In kasdan - who with Abrams hit the detonator and apparently toured the world informally chatting about what they wanted to see/ needed to get right.

The story of the two loudly talking story at a Parisian cafe (I've been there and you have to talk LOUD) is classic.

So you have somebody who was heavily involved In the "good side" movies... And a lifelong Star Wars fan breaking it down to ground level...

Now... There may just not be a great story out there...the original coulda been lightning in a jar...(not binks)

But im gonna CREDIT DISNEY in giving it what I believe to be its best shot.

Honestly...the only other thing I could have thought of was to bring Gary Kurtz in as a senior adviser...
But too much water below he and Lucas's bridge to allow that.

A thoroughly positive post. :P I agree 100%! There are no guarantees, but this sounds good. It is what we all would want to happen; that is,someone to love it and take their job seriously. It will not be anywhere near as good as the originals, that is simply impossible because the passage of time has made them untouchable. Too many of us saw them in our youth and nothing can replace the very first time that Star Destroyer comes over you filling the screen endlessly. But I'd bet dollars to donuts that it is going to be vastly better than the prequels just based on how they are approaching it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter