Good price for TI-84 Plus?

pantherlj

DIS Veteran
We need to purchase one of these for school - what is a good price I should be watching for?

Thanks

pantherlj said:
We need to purchase one of these for school - what is a good price I should be watching for?

Thanks

I bought one of these last year for my DS's precalculus class. I had sticker shock to say the least! The best deal I got was at Staples. They have a back to school pass you can buy for $10 and it gets you 15% off of your purchases for the few weeks around the beginning of school. And then, I waited until the calculators were on sale. I don't remember exactly what I paid but I'm thinking it was in the $110 range. It may have involved a staples rebate. I was very pleased at the time.

HTH

I ended up buying a used one on Ebay for 1/2 the price. Works perfectly

Same here. DD used it from algebra through BC Calc. I think we paid (on ebay) about $65 or $70.

DD will need a TI-Voyage next year at college. UGHH! That bad-boy is around $175-ish new, and even the best deals for a "complete" used one on ebay is about $125 plus shipping. She is heading into a math/statistics type of major - so it isn't like this calculator will be optional...

Our district is required to provide on for each student if it is something they will need in class that is expensive! If you lose it you do have to pay for it though!

I believe I paid $85 for DS's 2 years ago at Walmart. Many places will have "deals" over the next month or so, but that was a "regular" price.

Wherever you get- mark it somehow with a name because those things all look alike. I also got DS a "skin" so his looked different in addition to having his name.

I am not sure if that's the same one I bought for my DD, (but I think it is). I got it at Staples when they mailed me a $25 off a $100 purchase coupon. I ordered online and got free shipping.

Try amazon marketplace. It is where people sell items on amazon. I have found calculators here for as low as $30 and in pretty good condition.

I would say if you can find one on ebay GREAT especially NWT so you dont have a risk but really anything around the 100 mark or lower is a great deal. they are EXPENSIVE but i needed it for 3 of my college math courses so you will get your moneys worth.

HS math teacher here.....

I would try not to pay over $100 at this point. Watch sales and rebates. Also, make sure your school is not offering a deal. We've done a group buy which allows us to offer a discount.

I have to plug the NSpire. It does everything an 84 does and so much more. If your student is taking Calculus, I would recommend it highly. If they are in pre-calc (and not honors), the 84 is fine.

If your student does not lose it and has to take math in college, it is a good investment. You could also do a "halfsies" deal with your student, even if they pay you back through chores and over a period of time.

Whether or not it is required, it makes life easier for the student and the teacher. PLEASE get your HS students the NSpire or 84!!! :)

I would try not to pay over $100 at this point. Watch sales and rebates. Also, make sure your school is not offering a deal. We've done a group buy which allows us to offer a discount.

I have to plug the NSpire. It does everything an 84 does and so much more. If your student is taking Calculus, I would recommend it highly. If they are in pre-calc (and not honors), the 84 is fine.

If your student does not lose it and has to take math in college, it is a good investment. You could also do a "halfsies" deal with your student, even if they pay you back through chores and over a period of time.

Whether or not it is required, it makes life easier for the student and the teacher. PLEASE get your HS students the NSpire or 84!!! :)

DD's school recommended the NSpire for her to use next year. I've been looking at them and have a question.

When looking at them online, it seems like some are listed as a TI NSpire CX and some say a TI NSpire CX CAS.

Are these the same thing?

These had just come out when my oldest daughter started high school and needed one, so used items weren't available. I tried and failed at winning one on ebay at a decent price. In the end, I found a sale at Office Max but went to Staples to have it "price matched" because I had a 15% off a $100 purchase coupon for Staples. I think I paid about $90 in the end. Today that sounds like entirely too much, but at that point, it was the very best I could do.

When my youngest needed one, somehow I mentioned that I was looking for a good price, and I got one for free. How? We had six sitting in the school's lost and found. I was told that some had been in the lost and found bin more than a whole school year; they weren't turned in to Goodwill along with the lost coats at the end of the school year. It's amazing that kids won't bother to look for something that's been lost. Anyway, the batteries were dead, but when we replaced them, it worked perfectly!

Is this a quality one for a high schooler?
Texas Instruments TI-NSpire Math and Science Handheld Graphing Calculator

Huh, our schools specifically say DO NOT buy the Nspire even for honors math.

Huh, our schools specifically say DO NOT buy the Nspire even for honors math.

They take extensive training on the part of the teacher. In fact, the teachers need to be humble enough to learn from the students because they pick up on it faster than we do. The CAS version is not allowed on standardized tests (ACT for sure). Otherwise I cannot explain the issue.

DD's school recommended the NSpire for her to use next year. I've been looking at them and have a question.

When looking at them online, it seems like some are listed as a TI NSpire CX and some say a TI NSpire CX CAS.

Are these the same thing?

You might call/email the math department chair at your school to see if there is a preference. We are not encouraging the CAS (computer algebra system) because of the standardized tests and expense. BUT AP does allow it. It also allows teachers to give the students more documents that do more. I have just decided I will use those as demo. They can easily get by with the CX, however the math teachers at your school may feel differently. Get the color version with the touchpad.

Is this a quality one for a high schooler?
Texas Instruments TI-NSpire Math and Science Handheld Graphing Calculator

For TI, I think it's the best thing on the market. It works like a computer, not a calculator. It has documents and pages within the documents. It uses esc and undo and redo. It has drag and click. Once comfortable, it becomes intuitive because of its likeness to a computer. I believe the competitors (HP, Casio) may have similar calculators. But see above as some schools may not want it for some reason or other.

Yeah for me on the multi-quotes. Glad I could help.....or confuse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter