Good Place to Sell China?

Colleen27

DIS Veteran
Have any of you sold china fairly recently? Where would you suggest as a good place to sell?

I have a lovely set of antique Noritake china in excellent condition that I have quite literally never used in the decade since I inherited it, and I've finally decided that I just need to get it out of my kitchen. I'm not expecting a lot of money for it but I would like to get something. I'm just not sure where to start figuring out what a fair selling price is or how best to reach buyers that might be interested.

Have any of you sold china fairly recently? Where would you suggest as a good place to sell?

I have a lovely set of antique Noritake china in excellent condition that I have quite literally never used in the decade since I inherited it, and I've finally decided that I just need to get it out of my kitchen. I'm not expecting a lot of money for it but I would like to get something. I'm just not sure where to start figuring out what a fair selling price is or how best to reach buyers that might be interested.

I've never sold china but I have bought china on eBay for family members. In the past I've purchased individual pieces (but not a full set of china) on eBay.

Replacements Limited (www.replacements.com). They are located in NC but they buy from individuals all over. If you go to their website and FAQ section it gives the info of who to contact. They are an awesome company by the way. I worked there in nursing school with the nurse they have on staff to help with employee health.

Have any of you sold china fairly recently? Where would you suggest as a good place to sell? I have a lovely set of antique Noritake china in excellent condition that I have quite literally never used in the decade since I inherited it, and I've finally decided that I just need to get it out of my kitchen. I'm not expecting a lot of money for it but I would like to get something. I'm just not sure where to start figuring out what a fair selling price is or how best to reach buyers that might be interested.

I often see full sets 8 or 12 place settings of Noritake at garage sales and estate sales for less than $50.

Contact Replacements to see what they would pay, but after paying shipping costs (yup, they're on you) you probably won't net that much and there's the hassle of packaging the stuff REALLY well to get it to them. We figured it out and it was going to cost us more to ship the china than we were going to make on the china. Do a cost benefit analysis on this one before jumping in.

I'd also check and see if there are any consignment shops in your area that take in high end antiques or if there are any antique stores in your area that are willing to buy the set. You may not make much money but probably as much as if you'd sold it to replacements. You might also do well on craigslist but that way may take quite a bit of patience (but then so could e-bay).

If you itemize your taxes, the other thing you could do, which may net you as much money if not more than selling it outright, is to donate it to a local church or other charity for their annual white elephant sale. If they give you a receipt you can take the value of the china as a charitable donation deduction on your taxes. I believe you can take the fair market value of the china which would be whatever the pieces are selling for at Replacements or at a local antique store.

I was never happy with the prices offered from Replacements. Clearly, they are looking to make money, so they will only offer a small percentage of my china's worth.

I intended to sell it piece by piece on eBay, but then eBay changed. So, it is just sitting in our spare room taking up space.

Im an eBay top rated seller with 100% positive feedback. Depending on the pattern, its likely your china has very little monetary value. Most china was considered precious to the owner because it wasnt cheap to buy, wasnt easy to get, and was typically well taken care of and passed down.
With the advent of todays big box stores, it isnt difficult for people to go down and buy a set of plates (and who cares if your kids break em, theyre cheap!)
The value of Japanese china is the emotional attachment, unfortunately.
As far as reselling the set, if I had a set of China, as an ebayer, i wouldnt sell it there. The shipping would be ridiculously difficult as well as expensive and risky.
Try selling locally. There are Facebook yardsale groups for your area. Also, there may be local auction houses that you can put it in and they will keep about 20% of the sale. I noticed you mentioned the fees for replacements and also ebay 'changing.' unless you sell it on facebook or craigslist,there will be a middle man. there will be a fee.
there is a shop near Oceanside called "Live:The Studio." they might be interested or even barter for someting in the shop.
I wouldnt expect to exceed $100 any direction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter