Good Neighbor Hotel ??

booradly

Earning My Ears
Hello,

We are going to Disney sept 28 - oct 3 and I am trying to find a hotel to stay at that is not so expensive. I saw that a few of you liked the Sheraton Park Hotel but that was $1000 for the 5 nights plus (2) 4 day park hopper. I was just hoping to spend a little less. Any help would be greatful. I have not been to Disney since 95 and that was my only time there. I can't wait to go again!!! Plus it will be DH's bday while we are there.

Thanks again
Michele

We've gone twice to the Tropicana. It's right on the crosswalk to Disneyland. It's clean, has a pool, and there was enough room for me, dh, and our two kids, ages 5 years and 2 years.
A lot of people on the boards here like The Candy Cane Inn. I haven't been there, but I would stay there based on the recommendations of others on this board. So I guess that's kinda a round-a-bout recommendation.
There is one that is a real stinkbomb. It has Park in the name, but I can't remember if it's Park VUE, or the other one. Hopefully someone else here will chime in. I guess they have bugs and everything. So when you see the rock bottom prices on Travelocity and such, run very fast.

We've stayed at the Howard Johnson twice and been very pleased with our room. The rooms are quite large and are clean. Very friendly employees. It is on Harbor, but a bit of a walk from the crosswalk to the park. Really, not very far and you can take the Disneyland transit shuttles if you don't want to walk, it picks up right at the hotel. It is right next door to Mimi's Cafe', very close to McDonald's....as they all are on that street.

Have fun! :sunny:

booradly said:
Hello,

We are going to Disney sept 28 - oct 3 and I am trying to find a hotel to stay at that is not so expensive. I saw that a few of you liked the Sheraton Park Hotel but that was $1000 for the 5 nights plus (2) 4 day park hopper. I was just hoping to spend a little less. Any help would be greatful. I have not been to Disney since 95 and that was my only time there. I can't wait to go again!!! Plus it will be DH's bday while we are there.

Thanks again
Michele

Best western park place inn at about $89. and AT the walkway into the park. + free breakfast.

Add me to another vote for the Best Western Park Place inn:) Their internet rates are cheaper thant phoning though so watch that.

I vote for the candy cane. The rooms are a bit small, but if you are like us, you wont be in the room that much. The breakfast is good for a free meal, and the shuttle can't be beat. www.candycaneinn.net

Candy Cane Inn is great. They have 3 different sized rooms and it's just about the cleanest motel I have ever stayed (and the location is hard to beat). I just looked online and it's $109 standard, $119 deluxe, including conti breakfast. It shows the AAA rate not available, but in my experience, I have been able to call and get the AA rate over the phone.

The Anaheim Hojo might be a little less expensive, and the Red Roof Inn should be even less than that (I looked at the RRI, for 5 nights, the standard room is $330 plus tax, and the deluxe room is $355 plus tax--I think the dlx rooms have fridge and microwave, but I'm not 100% sure). I have heard nothing but good about the Hojo, and the only complaint about the RRI I have heard is it can be a little far to walk. But mostly I hear the walk is fine, about 10 minutes with kids, and they are on the ART line, so you can shuttle if you like.

After doing tons of research on here and tripadvisor.com (highly recommended BTW) we are staying at the Camelot Inn (previously known as Park Inn) on Harbor. My top choices were Paradise Pier, Best Western Park Place Inn, Tropicana, Candy Cane, and Camelot Inn. We went with the Camelot b/c we have 3 kids and the youngest is two so we wanted a suite where we can close the bedroom door during naps and bedtime. We also wanted to be within close walking distance, which all on my list are. We'll probably try one of the others next time when she's a bit older. Candy Cane Inn's room are pretty small from what I've read too...probably too tight for our 5. Check out this map for hotel locations. It was invaluable to me. http://www.geocities.com/ashpsyche/DisneylandLinkMap.html

Here is what I have found:

Portofino Inn - right next door to Sheraton Park (formerly Coast Anaheim) We have stayed here and it is a decent clean hotel within walking distance, even easier if you have no kids along. The ART shuttle also picks up right out front. The pool is small, don't know if that matters to you or not. Also when we were there in 2003, the front desk was not 24 hours so we had to wait until 6am to get some towels, but no big deal!

Your 5 nights plus tickets=$784.00
And only $20.00 more total if you wanted to make them 5 day tickets!!!

That would save you a few hundred off your quote now!

I'll post some more options in a few minutes!

Andrea

People say good things about this hotel: Holiday Inn Anaheim Palms. I would pick this if the pool area is important to you, it is really nice compared to most of the motels.

Total for 5 nights and 4 day hoppers = $764.00

This one gets pretty good reviews and is in walking distance, I have not stayed there myself but if you wanted to go even cheaper, you could. It's the Castle Inn.

Total for 5 nights and 4 day hoppers = $673.67

Another option is the Hilton which is also down by the Sheraton Park. It seems really nice, but if you are driving they charge $12.00 a day to park so be sure to figure that in. But they have nice restaurants and it is an indoor hotel instead of a motel if you are looking for something a little bit nicer. Even with the parking it still comes out cheaper than your original quote!

5 nights plus 4 day hoppers = $804.00

Anyways I hope one of these might work for your trip!

Andrea

I always stay at the Embassy suites on Harbor blvd.Its not that expensive,they have a shuttle,free breakfast,free drinks from 5-7 and it is clean and the rooms are big.They have AAA discounts.

Just wondering what you decided to do? Hope some of these options will work for you, most of the hotels mentioned will save you a bit of money! And just saw that it was post #1 for you so I wanted to welcome you to the DIS!

:wave2:

Andrea

Dukland said:
We've gone twice to the Tropicana. It's right on the crosswalk to Disneyland. It's clean, has a pool, and there was enough room for me, dh, and our two kids, ages 5 years and 2 years.
A lot of people on the boards here like The Candy Cane Inn. I haven't been there, but I would stay there based on the recommendations of others on this board. So I guess that's kinda a round-a-bout recommendation.
There is one that is a real stinkbomb. It has Park in the name, but I can't remember if it's Park VUE, or the other one. Hopefully someone else here will chime in. I guess they have bugs and everything. So when you see the rock bottom prices on Travelocity and such, run very fast.
It is the ParkSIDE Inn and Suites on S West St. (South DL Drive turns into S West St on the otherside of Katella). It was very bad, yeah it is cheap, but so not worth it IMHO.

I have stayed at the Anaheim Plaza and Ramada Maingate, both of those were fine, the Ramada was a little expensive IMO, Anaheim Plaza was an excellent bargin and we could see the fireworks from our balcony. I have also stayd at Alamo Inn and Suites. It was OK, but I probably would stay at one of the other hotels before I stayed here again mostly because of the location. It is at the far south end of DL.

Good luck! :goodvibes

I'll second both the Tropicana and the HoJo, with the Tropicana winning in my book due to its closer and more convenient location as well as the free continental breakfast (its minimal but its free). If you book the Hojo make sure you request, in fact demand a non freeway side room to avoid noise problems. And now I'll do that annoying thing I shouldn't do which is recommend a place I have NOT stayed at: The Candy Cane Inn. Honestly, I have never seen a bad review of this place but just have never been able to score a room there. Try www.tripadvisor.com for lots of reviews of the various close-to-Disneyland motels.

We stayed at the Tropicana, and it was a nice, no-frills hotel. Our room was clean and the front desk staff were very helpful and accomodating. It was nice to be really close to the walkway. We considered the HoJo since the reviews said it had a nice pool, but decided it might be too far to walk since we were going to go back for naps in the middle of the day.

There was also a convenience store right there, where we stocked up on water and such. The continental breakfast was free (muffins, pastries, coffee, OJ), cereal cost extra. I would recommend this hotel. We booked thru the magic for less, and got a lot of the perks associated with booking thru the Disney Travel agent.

Another vote for the Tropicana. We stayed there in May of 2005 for our son's 5th birthday, and it was a really nice, clean, simple place to stay at. The walk into the park was just fine, as it sits across the street on Harbor Blvd. And the continental breakfast was great, although the free items are not really substantial eating. They do have cereal and fruit for a small charge, and it is surrounded by restaurants. Be wary of the little convenience shop located there, as it is WAY expensive.

We just got back from DL after being there from 8/7 to 8/11, and we stayed at the Red Roof Inn. Honestly-not the best of places. We found blood stains on the carpet, they offered free coffee, tea and hot chocolate-but no continental breakfast, and you have to use the Anaheim Regional Transit to get to the park-which is $3 a ride (we bought Day Passes when we booked our trip). The only thing within walking distance as far as food goes is a 7-Eleven about a block away. The pool was nice, though. It also has a little shop in the lobby that is only open a few hours every day. The shop has no food, but it does carry drinks, cameras, toiletries, and other things.

Thank you all for your help. I am going to go back and study all your posts and figure out which one is best for us. We don't have any kids yet so it will just be us. I still have not made our reservations yet but I will let you know what I decide when I do.

Thanks for the welcome as well!!!

Michele

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter